Author Topic: Let's buy out Big Oil  (Read 1865 times)

Offline thackney

Let's buy out Big Oil
« on: December 17, 2018, 03:19:09 pm »
Let's buy out Big Oil
https://theweek.com/articles/812709/lets-buy-big-oil
December 17, 2018

...Think of it this way: Proven reserves of coal, oil, and gas still in the ground are several times as big as what we can burn while staying within the (moderate) safety of a 1.5 degree Celsius global temperature rise. Those reserves are owned by people and corporations, with a total value of $10 trillion to $20 trillion. Preventing catastrophic climate change requires convincing those people and corporations to simply walk away from that vast store of riches: Don't drill it, don't burn it, don't profit from it, don't sell it to anyone else. Simply let it disappear.

This is an absolutely gobsmacking demand. As Chris Hayes once noted, the only precedent in U.S. history for destroying wealth claims on that scale in the name of the greater good is the abolition of slavery — which required the bloodiest war America has ever fought.

Not only is that fossil fuel wealth a gigantic incentive for the industry to keep burning and profiting — it's also a source of enormous political power. In the 2018 election, fossil fuel interests spent over $90 million just to kill three modest state-level climate policy referendums. We just learned that the Trump administration's rollback of car emission standards was driven by Big Oil lobbying. Imagine the fight the industry would put up to stop a national carbon tax, or a Green New Deal effort to build a renewable infrastructure that competes for energy consumers.

So why don't we just buy the fossil fuel industry out and leave all that oil and coal in the ground?

This would neutralize, or at least significantly curtail, the economic incentive that fossil fuel shareholders have to fight back. They'd get to keep their money. In fact, they'd probably get to make money, since the government would need to offer a premium.

Nationalizing the industry could provide a solution to what to do with the 1.1 million people who work in oil, gas, and coal. Laying them off would be terrible. Instead, the government could fold them into the Green New Deal effort, and redirect them to build a renewable energy infrastructure. It could liquidate the physical capital of the fossil fuel industry to the same purpose.

This would cost trillions and trillions of dollars. There is no sugarcoating that figure. It is a gargantuan sum of money that is almost impossible to actually conceptualize....

- - - - - - - - -

The most amazing thing for me in this article is in spite of recognizing the reality of the situation, they still want to proceed with it.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Let's buy out Big Oil
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 03:23:00 pm »
Who is this "We" of which they speak?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 03:31:37 pm »

It is you and I, the tax payer.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 03:42:04 pm »

So the idea is for you and me to buy up all the petroleum reserves for the purpose of preventing its development?

F*** that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 09:21:49 pm »
This article epitomizes the liberal mindset, without thinking about anything realistic.

I say ban anyone from this country who supports such nonsense. 
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 09:24:54 pm »

So how are they going to buy out the State Owned oil companies?

Add the fact that what makes them think employees, other stockholders, and annutiants (like me) would sell to the point they got to 50.00000001% of the Company?

Leave it to stupid liberals........
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 09:26:55 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DB

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 09:30:55 pm »
The stupid hurts...

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 01:23:15 am »
This article epitomizes the liberal mindset, without thinking about anything realistic.

I say ban anyone from this country who supports such nonsense.

Thinking without any understanding, not even of what they propose, let alone the consequences.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 03:57:43 pm »

Ah no..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 04:02:37 pm »
If liberals want to buy "big oil" (shares, land, etc.), let them. Free market and all that.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 04:55:33 pm »
If liberals want to buy "big oil" (shares, land, etc.), let them. Free market and all that.

One final piece the dumbass liberals don't realize.  If they tried to do a gov. takeover, what would stop the corporations from implementing "poison pill" acquistion corpoate governance requiring 75% or even 90% singular ownership to gain control.?

They just don't think these things through apparently.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 05:31:39 pm »
Somebody has an idea, "we are a very rich country." We can afford it.

It being:

--nationalize fossil based energy (not too mention fertilizer, plastic, etc.

--nationalize health care

--nationalize education (forgive loans thereof)

Government does such a superrior job running everything they touch.

If you happen t work in the fossill based energy sector, think of yourself like a white farmer in South Africa.

If you won't sell, they will just take it. And kill you.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 05:42:23 pm »
Somebody has an idea, "we are a very rich country." We can afford it.

It being:

--nationalize fossil based energy (not too mention fertilizer, plastic, etc.

--nationalize health care

--nationalize education (forgive loans thereof)

Government does such a superrior job running everything they touch.

If you happen t work in the fossill based energy sector, think of yourself like a white farmer in South Africa.

If you won't sell, they will just take it. And kill you.

In this case they want to Nationalize a whole industry, with the intent of shutting it down.  If they have to do it by force, all the better as far as they are concerned.
I will NOT comply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 11:42:07 pm »
In this case they want to Nationalize a whole industry, with the intent of shutting it down.  If they have to do it by force, all the better as far as they are concerned.
The idiots who dreamed this one up should start a bit more modest, like buying up all companies that make styrofoam cups to rid these from the environment, or maybe all the gas guzzlers produced in Detroit.

Then when these work, they can claim victory and move onto their next victim.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:42:54 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline DB

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 11:45:32 pm »
The idiots who dreamed this one up should start a bit more modest, like buying up all companies that make styrofoam cups to rid these from the environment, or maybe all the gas guzzlers produced in Detroit.

Then when these work, they can claim victory and move onto their next victim.

So that's why the left loved Chavez so much... He nationalized his country's oil industry and killed it... He was saving the planet... Never mind the starving people... There's too many of them anyway...

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 11:55:19 pm »
Nationalizing oil sure worked out well for Venezuela.  Look how little gap there is in the wealth distribution there.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:56:03 pm by massadvj »