Author Topic: Trump says he wants to expand Arlington National Cemetery during surprise visit  (Read 818 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump says he wants to expand Arlington National Cemetery during surprise visit
by Katelyn Caralle
 | December 15, 2018 03:40 PM

Print this article

President Trump made a surprise visit to Arlington National Cemetery despite the rain Saturday afternoon as volunteers laid wreaths on the headstones of fallen service members ahead of Christmas.

During the visit, Trump told his guide that he was considering looking into expanding the cemetery by acquiring more land in the area.

About 400,000 American troops and veterans were laid to rest at the cemetery in Arlington, Va., just outside of Washington, D.C. The burial grounds is facing a shortage of space, and the cemetery could lose space in as soon as 23 years. There is an estimated 7,000 burials at Arlington National Cemetery every year.

There are about 100,000 burial spots left, and only one-third of those lots are below-ground spaces.

Trump instructed press traveling with him not to report on the surprise detour. Although he did not make any long remarks, the president did say that the volunteer group, Wreaths Across America, was “doing a great job.”
Trump says he wants to expand Arlington National Cemetery during surprise visit
by Katelyn Caralle
 | December 15, 2018 03:40 PM

President Trump made a surprise visit to Arlington National Cemetery despite the rain Saturday afternoon as volunteers laid wreaths on the headstones of fallen service members ahead of Christmas.

During the visit, Trump told his guide that he was considering looking into expanding the cemetery by acquiring more land in the area.

About 400,000 American troops and veterans were laid to rest at the cemetery in Arlington, Va., just outside of Washington, D.C. The burial grounds is facing a shortage of space, and the cemetery could lose space in as soon as 23 years. There is an estimated 7,000 burials at Arlington National Cemetery every year.

There are about 100,000 burial spots left, and only one-third of those lots are below-ground spaces.

Trump instructed press traveling with him not to report on the surprise detour. Although he did not make any long remarks, the president did say that the volunteer group, Wreaths Across America, was “doing a great job.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/trump-says-he-wants-to-expand-arlington-national-cemetery-during-surprise-visit
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online corbe

I saw this earlier and shook my damn head.  There are some things that can't be explained rationally and are better left unsaid.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline RoosGirl

I saw this earlier and shook my damn head.  There are some things that can't be explained rationally and are better left unsaid.

I hear there's a airport nearby that isn't very busy, I'm sure it wouldn't disrupt anything to use that land.

Online corbe

Persons Eligible For Burial In Arlington National Cemetery

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/eligib.htm
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
As an Arlington "eligible" veteran...IMO, such hallowed ground should be reserved for our finest. 

Those who have given their lives in service to our great Nation.

That's all.   Oh, and to any civilians who have never served or worn the uniform who are on this board who may disagree with my position...kindly piss off.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
As an Arlington "eligible" veteran...IMO, such hallowed ground should be reserved for our finest. 

That's all.   Oh, and to any civilians who have never served or worn the uniform who are on this board who may disagree with my position...kindly piss off.

:patriot:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump joins Wreaths Across America in laying wreaths at Arlington National Cemetery
Fox News, Dec 15, 2018

President Trump paid a Saturday visit to Arlington National Cemetery, where thousands of volunteers had just taken part in the rain in the annual holiday wreath-laying tribute to those who served—and died-- in America’s wars.

Trump made the unscheduled stop to the famous military ceremony about 2:15 p.m. ET, hours after the event began.

"They do a great job, a really great job. Thank you," Trump said during the visit.

Every December, Wreaths Across America places wreaths on the graves at Arlington and other veterans cemeteries.

“Spending a rainy Saturday morning helping with Wreaths Across America at Arlington!!” Jessica Moyer told her followers on Facebook. “Such a humbling experience.”

Last year more than 75,000 volunteers placed wreaths at 245,000 Arlington gravesites.

This year, the organization shipped a staggering 1.75 million wreaths to 1,640 locations that will hold ceremonies across the U.S., according to the Pentagon.

More with video:  https://www.foxnews.com/us/trump-joins-wreaths-across-america-in-laying-wreaths-at-arlington-national-cemetery

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline goodwithagun

I bought a wreath from this org two nights ago in memory of my husband’s grandfather. One will be placed on a fallen soldier’s grave and its twin will be sent to his aunt.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

@SZonian
Once a real estate mogul, always a real estate mogul. My nieces husband was on 'Honor Detail'?, don't know if that's the correct terminology, for a year and he grew very weary and depressed receiving and seeing off his fellow soldiers. I can't imagine it myself.

And I agree with you, those who have served should have the input.