Author Topic: Boy Scouts of America may declare bankruptcy  (Read 2775 times)

Offline kidd

Re: Boy Scouts of America may declare bankruptcy
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 07:34:41 pm »
The Boy Scouts of America is mulling declaring bankruptcy amid flagging membership and an avalanche of costly sex abuse allegations
We all saw this coming years ago.
I don't think that a replacement organization, that maintains Judeo-Christian values, has gained widespread popularity.

A real pity. The Boy Scouts have produced a lot of real quality male leaders.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 07:52:08 pm »
Good riddance.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 08:55:30 pm »
We all saw this coming years ago.
I don't think that a replacement organization, that maintains Judeo-Christian values, has gained widespread popularity.

A real pity. The Boy Scouts have produced a lot of real quality male leaders.
When I used to recruit I placed a resume with an Eagle Scout at the top of the pile.

Now, it is uncertain what that means, so there would be no acknowledgement of any special treatment by me for an individual with that on the resume.

I give whole-heartedly to Trail Life now.  https://www.traillifeusa.com/statement-of-faith/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2018, 09:15:33 pm »
As soon as they let Girls into the BOY scouts, my view of them is that they became another BS PC organization. I will never give them any support.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2018, 09:32:45 pm »
Didn't they recently  change the organizations official name by dropped the "Boy" part?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2018, 09:41:51 pm »
Didn't they recently  change the organizations official name by dropped the "Boy" part?
They call it just 'Scouts' now

https://www.scouting.org/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2018, 09:49:29 pm »
You're whole post was great. 

This last line was how the BSA should have fought the SJW attack.

Thanks for your kind affirmation @The Ghost.

A scouting buddy has frequently rolled his eyes at me when I've expressed an uncompromising perspective on this.  "Times have changed" he tells me.

In the mess hall at the local camp we enjoyed the most (now closed and put up for sale by the local council) there was a large plaque which proclaimed that scouting taught timeless values.  I pointed that out to him on our last visit.  I don't know what happened to that plaque, but like a defeated warship or a worn out flag, I hope it was destroyed, rather than now proclaiming a lie in some well-connected council executive's office.
James 1:20

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2018, 09:52:27 pm »
@HoustonSam

You are a much more diplomatic person than I.

@Bigun

Those who know me in person tell me I'm no nonsense and can be uncomfortably direct.  I just try to choose words carefully.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2018, 10:10:06 pm »
I have struggled with this mightily.  My elder son is literally finishing his last merit badge for his Eagle, having already completed his eagle project.   My youngest son is about to get Life, this being within about 18mos of getting his Eagle.   We’ve been in scouting since they were each 7.  We will stick it out until they get their Eagles, don’t really know what else to do.

Two points of emphasis though:  all BSA did was leave it up to each chartered organization to make up their own mind...it was a gutless but legally reasonable position.  Our chartering organization has made it clear that they will abide by the traditional scouting rules.

Final point:   As soon as Trail Life’s top award becomes as well known as the Eagle, BSA is done
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2018, 10:22:07 pm »
I have struggled with this mightily.  My elder son is literally finishing his last merit badge for his Eagle, having already completed his eagle project.   My youngest son is about to get Life, this being within about 18mos of getting his Eagle.   We’ve been in scouting since they were each 7.  We will stick it out until they get their Eagles, don’t really know what else to do.

Two points of emphasis though:  all BSA did was leave it up to each chartered organization to make up their own mind...it was a gutless but legally reasonable position.  Our chartering organization has made it clear that they will abide by the traditional scouting rules.

Final point:   As soon as Trail Life’s top award becomes as well known as the Eagle, BSA is done
Read the Mission statements of the BSA and Trail Life if you want an eye-opener.

If any parents did, they would send their kids to Trail Life.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2018, 10:33:53 pm »
Growing up in the 50's and 60's everyone I knew was a Cub Scout and then when it came time to move into the BSA there was a waiting list at our Troop.  But there were so many other troops in town that every one was welcome.   I know the number of boys entering scouting started to decline in the late 80's and continued unabated till we have reached where we are today. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:40:37 pm by The Ghost »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2018, 10:39:42 pm »
The other factor I'm seeing is that Scouting is becoming more and more expensive. Of those I've seen that have kids in the Cub Scout system, they're frequently complaining of how often the organizations keep hitting them up for money for this trip or that activity.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2018, 11:26:33 pm »

That is my understanding as well, the decision is left with the chartering organization.  However that just exposes the chartering organization, which will be some local entity with relatively fewer resources, to legal risk of discrimination lawsuits, with no support from BSA.  As you say, it was a gutless decision, not befitting the values BSA espouses.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2018, 12:14:27 am »
Growing up in the 50's and 60's everyone I knew was a Cub Scout and then when it came time to move into the BSA there was a waiting list at our Troop.  But there were so many other troops in town that every one was welcome.   I know the number of boys entering scouting started to decline in the late 80's and continued unabated till we have reached where we are today.
@The Ghost
Actually it started to plummet in the mid 70’s when they moved away from the outdoorsy activities in an abysmally failed effort to woo the inner city youth
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline the_doc

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2018, 12:18:16 am »
@The Ghost
Actually it started to plummet in the mid 70’s when they moved away from the outdoorsy activities in an abysmally failed effort to woo the inner city youth

Guess who really ruined the BSA.  Look up Rex Tillerson.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2018, 12:19:00 am »
@The Ghost

I can not argue that.  I only relate anecdotally as when our son started Scouting in the late 80's it was a  small troop.  But it was a great bunch of parents and scouts. 

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2018, 12:20:05 am »
Guess who really ruined the BSA.  Look up Rex Tillerson.

Sorry I will not look him up.

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2018, 03:11:42 am »
Related background.  Gates and Tillerson culprits.

Liberalism Bankrupts the Boy Scouts - PC policies can be costly.

https://spectator.org/liberalism-bankrupts-the-boy-scouts/

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2018, 06:15:41 am »
So do I.

I thought you melted when someone threw water on you.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2018, 07:23:26 pm »
Saw this coming years ago...badge hustlers (adult volunteers who seek out recognition via knots), the large salaries to paid "professionals", execs, etc. and probably the beginning of the end was the introduction of "diversity and inclusion" into the Wood Badge syllabus.

I knew then that scouts had gone PC and it was only a matter of time.  Sadly, my premonitions were correct.

National "set-up" the vote to allow homosexuals via numerous methods; our Council did not make known who our "delegates" were, so we could not contact them.  National also omitted the Mormons from notifications about the vote.  Interestingly, 65+% of membership REJECTED the premise, yet, 65+% of the delegates voted for it.  Some kind of math there.

National would not respond to inquiries about the homosexual adult leaders and most glaringly, refused to provide guidance on how local units were to handle the transgender "questions".

The rot began at the top, and the kids are the ones suffering the consequences.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2018, 07:49:22 pm »
The rot began at the top, and the kids are the ones suffering the consequences.
The stuff I have read suggested that Tillerson rammed through (in a way of consummation) all of the creeping decadence in the BSA.  Tillerson is a Progressive-in-Conservatives' clothing (which is surely how he became the CEO of a globe-leading Crony Capitalist company like Exxon-Mobil--and immediately after becoming CEO, even mandated a complete reversal of the rather sensible position of his company's engineers and scientists concerning AGW).

One of the best definitions of a Progressive is Anti-Traditionalist.  This is why Progressivism doomed the BSA--long one of the most staunch supporters of American values.  Tillerson is supposedly an amiable guy, but that means nothing--except that it fools people into overlooking some of his horrible views.  (I knew he would not last long as Secretary of State under Trump.)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2018, 07:56:21 pm »
The stuff I have read suggested that Tillerson rammed through (in a way of consummation) all of the creeping decadence in the BSA.  Tillerson is a Progressive-in-Conservatives' clothing (which is surely how he became the CEO of a globe-leading Crony Capitalist company like Exxon-Mobil--and immediately after becoming CEO, even mandated a complete reversal of the rather sensible position of his company's engineers and scientists concerning AGW).

One of the best definitions of a Progressive is Anti-Traditionalist.  This is why Progressivism doomed the BSA--long one of the most staunch supporters of American values.  Tillerson is supposedly an amiable guy, but that means nothing--except that it fools people into overlooking some of his horrible views.  (I knew he would not last long as Secretary of State under Trump.)

@the-doc

I knew Tillerson 40 years ago when he was a young APP engineer with ARAMCO. Seemed like an OK guy then but I haven't seen him since and apparently he went over to the dark side.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline the_doc

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2018, 08:04:39 pm »
@the-doc

I knew Tillerson 40 years ago when he was a young APP engineer with ARAMCO. Seemed like an OK guy then but I haven't seen him since and apparently he went over to the dark side.

Other people have said the same thing.

What he did to the BSA was horrible.  In a manner of speaking, ruining the BSA amounts to an attempt to ruin America. 

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2018, 10:07:23 pm »
Sad, that was a great America when the BSA were exemplary. I wasn't aware there were cases back in the '70s as the last paragraph reads. Unfortunately, there is going to be some of that, it seems about everywhere.

This is just financial bankruptcy.  The moral bankruptcy was declared when they allowed gay leaders in and willing submitted to the gaystapo in exchange for corporate sponsorship.