Author Topic: Dean Martin's Daughter Defends 'Baby, it's Cold Outside'  (Read 932 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Dean Martin's Daughter Defends 'Baby, it's Cold Outside'
« on: December 11, 2018, 07:08:25 pm »
Radio stations from Cleveland, Ohio to Madison, Wisconsin have stopped playing "Baby, it's Cold Outside" amid a national movement against the song's lyrics. The Christmas song, famously sung by Dean Martin and written for the film Neptune’s Daughter, is no longer the popular tune it once was. The song won the Oscar for Original Song, has been covered multiple times by artists ranging from Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett to Idina Menzel and Michael Buble, and was featured in the beloved Christmas film Elf. Now, in the post-"Me Too" era, critics say the song sends the wrong message about male and female relationships. They want it off the airwaves all together, claiming it promotes date rape and sexual harassment.

The lyrics that give critics particular pause are the lines:

"So really I'd better scurry (beautiful please don't hurry).
But maybe just a half a drink more (put some records on while I pour).

The neighbors might think (baby, it's bad out there).
Say what's in this drink? (no cabs to be had out there)."

Cleveland's Star 102 radio station started the trend of taking the song off their Christmas playlist after receiving caller complaints.
https://townhall.com/entertainment/cortneyobrien/2018/12/10/deana-martin-defends-baby-its-cold-outside-n2537231

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Dean Martin's Daughter Defends 'Baby, it's Cold Outside'
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 07:12:29 pm »

Offline RoosGirl

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 08:00:11 pm »
So they’re actually arguing society’s primacy over biology? Good luck with that.

Since the evolution of Humans men have chased women until the man was caught. Rules are written down right there in the book of love.

Why monkey with a good thing?

Online Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 08:34:14 pm »
So they’re actually arguing society’s primacy over biology? Good luck with that.

Since the evolution of Humans men have chased women until the man was caught. Rules are written down right there in the book of love.

Hey Babe.  Wanna come back to my cave and look at my carvings?

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 08:35:41 pm »
 I find it interesting that RAP is not removed.  Talk about vile lyrics and hateful comments about women.  Oh, we are the wrong skin tone. 

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 08:37:03 pm »

I agree.  SILLY SJW.  WHAT ABOUT RAP?  Vile.