Author Topic: Jamal Khashoggi, other journalists named Times magazine’s 2018 ‘Person of the Year’  (Read 2058 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jamal Khashoggi, other journalists named Times magazine’s 2018 ‘Person of the Year’
by Caitlin Yilek
 | December 11, 2018 08:38 AM

Time magazine named slain journalist Jamal Khashoggi and a number of other journalists as its 2018 “Person of the Year.”

Time recognized the journalists who have been targeted for their work, and labeled them “The Guardians.”

The magazine is releasing four covers featuring Washington Post columnist Khashoggi, the surviving staffers of the Capital Gazette newspaper, the wives of Reuters journalists Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo, and Rappler editor Maria Ressa.

“Like all human gifts, courage comes to us at varying levels and at varying moments,” the magazine’s Editor-in-Chief Edward Felsenthal wrote about the selection. “This year we are recognizing four journalists and one news organization who have paid a terrible price to seize the challenge of this moment: Jamal Khashoggi, Maria Ressa, Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo and the Capital Gazette of Annapolis, Md.”

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/jamal-khashoggi-other-journalists-named-times-magazines-2018-person-of-the-year
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Time and its POTY award has become a compete and utter joke.  Why anyone would take that dying pos seriously is beyond me.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Jamal Khashoggi, other journalists named Times magazine’s 2018 ‘Person of the Year’
by Caitlin Yilek
 | December 11, 2018 08:38 AM

Time magazine named slain journalist Jamal Khashoggi and a number of other journalists as its 2018 “Person of the Year.”

So some random journalist who gets effed like an episode of the Sopranos may be the "Man of the Year"?

Another MSM rag jumps the shark.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
One clear winner this year.  Donald J. Trump.

No one has shook up the world like he has this year.   He truly is the "Reggie Jackson" (Straw that stirs the drink) of our time.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
This was my former profession. At the risk of you all disagreeing with me, I’m proud.

Reporters have been risking their lives for years to get a story. Many have paid the ultimate price covering wars, etc.

Yes, perhaps the President should have gotten an award. Perhaps they picked the journalists because this is still fresh news. I really don’t know.

But I think of reporters who died like Mr Khashoggi and Daniel Pearl, and I think this is due.

You may now disagree with me but please be civil.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 06:33:26 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Absurd.
Given the publicly released shortlist, it was the least controversial choice. Of course, it also reeks of self-congratulation, which the media is notorious for doing—but compared to choices like Meghan Markle, David Hogg, Robert Mueller and “separated families” it was a relatively sane option.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Frank Cannon

Time's 4 subscribers will be ecstatic by the news.

Offline Blizzardnh

Jamal Khashoggi,is dead so that would be non person of the year. or maggot infested.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
And now you know why absolutely no one reads that rag these days.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
This was my former profession. At the risk of you all disagreeing with me, I’m proud.

Reporters have been risking their lives for years to get a story. Many have paid the ultimate price covering wars, etc.

Yes, perhaps the President should have gotten an award. Perhaps they picked the journalists because this is still fresh news. I really don’t know.

But I think of reporters who died like Mr Khashoggi and Daniel Pearl, and I think this is due.

@Freya
Fellow journalist, I stand with you.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline DB

But was he a journalist or a propagandist?

There use to be a difference.

Offline Slide Rule

Reporters have been risking their lives for years to get a story. Many have paid the

ultimate price covering wars, etc.

Yes, perhaps the President should have gotten an award. Perhaps they picked the

journalists because this is still fresh news. I really don’t know.

But I think of reporters who died like Mr Khashoggi and Daniel Pearl, and I think

this is due.

Well Freya, why did you leave such a wonderful profession with
all those top notch people of character and high moral fiber?

Too much gravitas for you?

:)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 01:46:52 pm by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Online mountaineer

Don't confuse "journalists" and "reporters." I am the latter. Reporters strive to find facts and share them.

The former has become a catchall term for anyone who gets his opinions published. Everyone who finds a platform and expresses views with which the left agrees now is considered a journalist. Thus, Khashoggi.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Frank Cannon

Jamal Khashoggi,is dead so that would be non person of the year. or maggot infested.

Ex-Person of the Year?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
But was he a journalist or a propagandist?

There use to be a difference.

Yeah, the problem with Khashoggi is that he was apparently a Muslim Brotherhood propagandist more than a journalist.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Don't confuse "journalists" and "reporters." I am the latter. Reporters strive to find facts and share them.

The former has become a catchall term for anyone who gets his opinions published. Everyone who finds a platform and expresses views with which the left agrees now is considered a journalist. Thus, Khashoggi.

@mountaineer

Thank you!  Saved me the trouble!

One night, probably in 1880, John Swinton, then the preeminent New York journalist, was the guest of honor at a banquet given him by the leaders of his craft. Someone who knew neither the press nor Swinton offered a toast to the independent press. Swinton outraged his colleagues by replying:

"There is no such thing, at this date of the world's history, in America, as an independent press. You know it and I know it.
There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the streets looking for another job. If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone.

"The business of the journalists is to destroy the truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to vilify, to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread.
You know it and I know it, and what folly is this toasting an independent press?
We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."

Source: Labor's Untold Story, by Richard O. Boyer and Herbert M. Morais, published by United Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers of America, NY, 1955/1979.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

Several years ago, we in the news room had the opportunity to meet the dean of the WVU j-school. She proudly told us that her faculty teach young skulls full of mush that their purpose as "journalists" is to shape opinion.  Silly me, I thought we were supposed to report the facts in a clear and concise manner.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Several years ago, we in the news room had the opportunity to meet the dean of the WVU j-school. She proudly told us that her faculty teach young skulls full of mush that their purpose as "journalists" is to shape opinion.  Silly me, I thought we were supposed to report the facts in a clear and concise manner.

Who, what when, where, and how!  THAT is reporting.  The reader makes of it what he will.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Who, what when, where, and how!  THAT is reporting.  The reader makes of it what he will.

You forgot "Why".  How was the sixth (H)

Why is where the run afoul.  The why is why they think it happened without supporting facts.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 07:55:11 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

Well Freya, why did you leave such a wonderful profession with
all those top notch people of character and high moral fiber?

Too much gravitas for you?

:)

@Slide Rule I took an early retirement package in my late 40s because
1. The place was toxic after several people who were my bosses left
2. I had a father who was ill and I wanted to help my mother take care of him. He has since passed.

Are those reasons ok with you?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Without commenting on Khashoggi directly, I do believe that journalists such as Ukrainian Kateryna Handzyuk who was killed this year,

The numerous journalists killed in Mexico and the Western Hemisphere,

Daphne Carauna Galizia of Malta who was killed, are well-deserving of recognition,

These reporters often have nothing to do with editorial stances of their newspapers, they are often free lancers.

Austin Tice, Ex-Marine, thought to still be alive and has been captured by Jihadists back around 2012 or so... and how about the prisoners in Turkey under Erdogan?  So, Trump was probably snubbed and he well should have been the man of the year, TIME is obviously biased.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
@TomSea

That may be true, but there is always next year. Unless there is some major discovery like when Watson and Crick or Jonas Salk were on the cover.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
These reporters often have nothing to do with editorial stances of their newspapers, they are often free lancers.
It's wise to bear in mind, too, that even staff writers on newspapers often have little to nothing to do with their papers' or magazines' editorial stances. And they surely chafe when their reporting or depth analyses---the latter are, of course, distinct from pure opinion writings---are dismissed out of hand because of their papers' editorial stances when their reporting or depth analyses actually sit counter to those editorial stances. You wonder how often, say, a New York Times or Washington Post or, for that matter, a Time or Newsweek reporter or analyst cringes upon knowing their work will be pre-judged according to the editorial stances of those papers.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.