Author Topic: We are former senators. The Senate has long stood in defense of democracy — and must again.  (Read 1071 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
A bunch of, look to be almost all former Democrat Senators, a few Republicans. Now, they are throwing in the kitchen sink too.
We are former senators. The Senate has long stood in defense of democracy — and must again.
By 44 Former U.S. Senators
December 10 at 8:30 PM

Dear Senate colleagues,

As former members of the U.S. Senate, Democrats and Republicans, it is our shared view that we are entering a dangerous period, and we feel an obligation to speak up about serious challenges to the rule of law, the Constitution, our governing institutions and our national security.

We are on the eve of the conclusion of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation and the House’s commencement of investigations of the president and his administration. The likely convergence of these two events will occur at a time when simmering regional conflicts and global power confrontations continue to threaten our security, economy and geopolitical stability.

It is a time, like other critical junctures in our history, when our nation must engage at every level with strategic precision and the hand of both the president and the Senate.

Read more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/we-are-former-senators-the-senate-has-long-stood-in-defense-of-democracy--and-must-again/2018/12/10/3adfbdea-fca1-11e8-ad40-cdfd0e0dd65a_story.html?utm_term=.c21415ef2b62
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 05:30:32 am by TomSea »

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL. Quite a few disgraced rapists, crooks, liars and people so despicable their own constituents kicked them out of office.....

The complete list of signatories includes: Max Baucus (D-Mont.), Evan Bayh (D-Ind.), Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.), Bill Bradley (D-N.J.), Richard Bryan (D-Nev.), Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R-Colo.), Max Cleland (D-Ga.), William Cohen (R-Maine), Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), Al D’Amato (R-N.Y.), John C. Danforth (R-Mo.), Tom Daschle (D-S.D.), Dennis DeConcini (D-Ariz.), Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.), David Durenberger (R-Minn.), Russ Feingold (D-Wis.), Wyche Fowler (D-Ga.), Bob Graham (D-Fla.), Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.), Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), Gary Hart (D-Colo.), Bennett Johnston (D-La.), Bob Kerrey (D-Neb.), John Kerry(D-Mass.), Paul Kirk (D-Mass.), Mary Landrieu (D-La.), Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.), Richard Lugar (R-Ind.), Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), Ben Nelson (D-Neb.), Sam Nunn (D-Ga.), Larry Pressler (R-S.D.), David Pryor (D-Ark.), Don Riegle (D-Mich.), Chuck Robb (D-Va.), Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.), Jim Sasser (D-Tenn.), Alan Simpson (R-Wyo.), Mark Udall (D-Colo.), John W. Warner (R-Va.), Lowell Weicker (I-Conn.), Tim Wirth (D-Colo.)

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL. We have all the living members of the Keating Five telling us about Truth, Justice and the American Way. You can't make this shit up.

Offline Frank Cannon

Hey. Anyone else remember the broad Chuck Todd was banging and doing drugs with back in the day?

Offline Frank Cannon

Let's have a hand for defender of freedom Gary Hart everybody......

Offline Frank Cannon

Anyone remember that pilar of virtue Al "Senator Pothole" D'Amato?

HUD TO REOPEN PROBE ON ALLEGATIONS OF FAVORITISM IN HOUSING SUBSIDIES

By Howard Kurtz
June 9, 1989

NEW YORK, JUNE 8 -- Federal housing officials said today that they plan to reopen an inquiry into whether politically connected residents of a predominantly white Long Island town, including a cousin of Sen. Alfonse M. D'Amato (R-N.Y.), were allowed to buy subsidized houses in the early 1980s while minority...

Offline Frank Cannon

Ladies and gentleman.....impartial and independent Bill Cohen....

Offline Skeptic

• Loyal q stomper.
There wasn't much to read in that article. Things are rough, whew.
I won't accept.

Online roamer_1

Let's have a hand for defender of freedom Gary Hart everybody......

Wasn't this the occasion that Zell Miller stated something like:

"Well I do declare, it seems the good Senator has changed his position on off-shore drillin!"

I liked ol Zell, Democrat or not.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Hey. Anyone else remember the broad Chuck Todd was banging and doing drugs with back in the day?

Man, I gotta remember that if I ever run for office.  Back then we had Senate members banging the models, while House members were just bending over the pages.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Frank Cannon

Man, I gotta remember that if I ever run for office.  Back then we had Senate members banging the models, while House members were just bending over the pages.

See it's all seedy and dirty in politics now because of Trump. Things were pure and altruistic back in the day......that reminds me about the time Chris Dodd and Ted Kennedy banged a waitress in a DC restaurant back in the 80's......

Ted Kennedy on the Rocks

It is after midnight and Kennedy and Dodd are just finishing up a long dinner in a private room on the first floor of the restaurant's annex. They are drunk. Their dates, two very young blondes, leave the table to go to the bathroom. (The dates are drunk too. "They'd always get their girls very, very drunk," says a former Brasserie waitress.) Betty Loh, who served the foursome, also leaves the room. Raymond Campet, the co-owner of La Brasserie, tells Gaviglio the senators want to see her.

As Gaviglio enters the room, the six-foot-two, 225-plus-pound Kennedy grabs the five-foot-three, 103-pound waitress and throws her on the table. She lands on her back, scattering crystal, plates and cutlery and the lit candles. Several glasses and a crystal candlestick are broken. Kennedy then picks her up from the table and throws her on Dodd, who is sprawled in a chair. With Gaviglio on Dodd's lap, Kennedy jumps on top and begins rubbing his genital area against hers, supporting his weight on the arms of the chair. As he is doing this, Loh enters the room. She and Gaviglio both scream, drawing one or two dishwashers. Startled, Kennedy leaps up. He laughs. Bruised, shaken and angry over what she considered a sexual assault, Gaviglio runs from the room. Kennedy, Dodd and their dates leave shortly thereafter, following a friendly argument between the senators over the check.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Amen.  He was the last of a dying breed.  A class act and a true gentleman. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

"Well I do declare, it seems the good Senator has changed his position on off-shore drillin!"

That would be Sen Howell Heflin and it was about Ted Kennedy getting caught banging some broad on his boat.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
That would be Sen Howell Heflin and it was about Ted Kennedy getting caught banging some broad on his boat.

CALLER: I've been sitting here, I thought of another great story that you told about back in the old days when people could say stuff on the floor of the Senate that they don't say now. You were talking about some southern Democrat that was talking about Ted Kennedy doing offshore drilling.

RUSH: Oh, yeah. Well, that was Howell Heflin.

CALLER: Okay. But that story that you told, I'll tell you what, I couldn't stop laughing.

RUSH: You want to hear the story again before Womb to the Tomb?

CALLER: Oh, yes.

RUSH: The thing is, this is a true story.

CALLER: Yes.

RUSH: What happened was -- this is back in the late eighties, I think -- Senator Kennedy is vacationing off the coast of the south of France and he's got a young nubile, very limber and flexible young woman with him, scantily clad in a nice bikini. We know this because paparazzi were taking pictures from neighboring boats, and the New York Daily News published the pictures, and there were a series of four pictures. The first picture shows them cavorting out there on the boat. The second picture shows us the scantily clad, nubile, very flexible and limber young woman diving in the water off the edge of the boat. The next picture showed Senator Kennedy jumping in after her -- which was a first for Senator Kennedy to go in the water after a woman -- and then the last picture showed them back in the boat making... uh, "having intimacies," let's say. The pictures made the rounds, and they showed them to Howell Heflin, a Senator from Alabama. He was a huge guy, and he looked at the picture and said (rare Howell Heflin impression), "Well, I do declare! Ha! Why, it do look to me like Senator Kennedy done changed his position on offshore drilling."
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Screw Democracy!  Give me my REPUBLIC back!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

- Probing for 97%

We don't need no stinkin evidence.

We have consensus.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"Communism needs democracy like the human body needs oxygen."

Leon Trotsky
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

- Probing for 97%

We don't need no stinkin evidence.

We have consensus.

What bugs me is that this gets passed around like these guys are elder statesmen because no one remembers all the scandals and crimes they were involved in.

Online roamer_1

Thanks for the correction.
 :beer: