Author Topic: 'Gilets jaunes': Five takeaways from Macron's address  (Read 375 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

'Gilets jaunes': Five takeaways from Macron's address
« on: December 11, 2018, 04:37:30 am »
'Gilets jaunes': Five takeaways from Macron's address
Euro News, Dec 10, 2018

'I take my share of responsibility for this'
In the long-awaited speech, Macron said protesters’ anger and indignation was “deep, and in many ways legitimate” but “no anger justifies attacking a police officer, a gendarme or damaging a shop or public building”.  "We undoubtedly haven't been able to provide a sufficiently fast and strong response for a year and a half," said Macron. "I take my share of responsibility for this." [...]

Minimum wage increase
Macron went on to say one of the measures his government would introduce to enable French workers to live with “dignity” would be an increase the country's minimum wage by €100 per month from the start of next year.

Tax concessions
The French president also announced that overtime hours would not be subject to tax from 2019, while employers would be asked to pay a tax-free end of year bonus to employees.

Will not reinstate 'wealth tax'
Despite controversy and claims that Macron was a "president of the rich", he said he would not go back on his wealth tax reforms but things would not “go back to normal … as if nothing has changed”.

Tax increase for low-income pensioners scrapped
A planned tax on pensions under €2,000 a month would be cancelled, added the French president.

https://www.euronews.com/2018/12/10/live-macron-gives-speech-in-wake-of-gilets-jaunes-protests