Author Topic: Chinese general says force should be used against U.S. ships in the South China Sea  (Read 1388 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Chinese general says force should be used against U.S. ships in the South China Sea
By Tom O'Connor On 12/10/18 at 4:51 PM

A leading Chinese general has urged the military to use force to block U.S. ships from traversing waters claimed by Beijing in the South China Sea and retake Taiwan.

Senior Colonel Dai Xu, who serves as the president of the country's Marine Institute for Security and Cooperation, on Saturday lashed out against inaction over repeated U.S. Navy trips through disputed territory in the South China Sea, much of which is claimed by Beijing. Speaking at a conference organized by the ruling Communist Party's official newspaper The Global Times, Dai said that China should attack ships that violate its maritime claims.

"If the U.S. warships break into Chinese waters again, I suggest that two warships should be sent: one to stop it, and another one to ram it," Dai said during a panel discussion, according to The Global Times. "In our territorial waters, we won't allow U.S. warships to create disturbance."

Read more at: https://www.newsweek.com/chinese-general-force-us-ships-south-china-sea-1252690

We just sent a ship or two somewhere out there just in the past 5 days.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:51:24 am by TomSea »

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
I don't think we should escalate things. Most of the water traffic in that area is going to and from China. I'm not surprised that China would see the South China Sea as part of their territory. They're not going to prevent Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines from using the water when they need to. We should leave it alone. Let's build our own ocean fortresses.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Oceander

I don't think we should escalate things. Most of the water traffic in that area is going to and from China. I'm not surprised that China would see the South China Sea as part of their territory. They're not going to prevent Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines from using the water when they need to. We should leave it alone. Let's build our own ocean fortresses.

Yeah, why don’t we let them do the same in the Atlantic.  After all, a lot of that shipping traffic is going to China as well.   Heck, why not just cede all the oceans to them?

Online DB

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. This isn't about navigation. It is about annexing territory that is rich in oil that is not theirs. The ones doing the "escalating" are the Chinese. Resisting the bully is not escalation. The likelihood of war goes up with China's neighbors as China attempts to steal their territory. Neighbors that we have defense packs with such as Taiwan and Japan.

You either stand firm with international law behind you or fold to the bully. Folding to the bully will only get you more of the same with a continually eroding position.

Offline Dexter

Yeah, why don’t we let them do the same in the Atlantic.  After all, a lot of that shipping traffic is going to China as well.   Heck, why not just cede all the oceans to them?

How do you think all of this will play out if we get involved? Will it be worth it? So they're grabbing some oil in the water south of them. Big deal. I don't think we need to be worried.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. This isn't about navigation. It is about annexing territory that is rich in oil that is not theirs. The ones doing the "escalating" are the Chinese. Resisting the bully is not escalation. The likelihood of war goes up with China's neighbors as China attempts to steal their territory. Neighbors that we have defense packs with such as Taiwan and Japan.

You either stand firm with international law behind you or fold to the bully. Folding to the bully will only get you more of the same with a continually eroding position.

I don't think the Chinese would get the idea that they can do whatever they want if we decided to stay out of this. Yeah, clearly they are looking to benefit. I really don't care. Maybe we could use it to leverage better trade deals. "We'll leave it be if you agree to X Y Z."
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 02:22:32 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

Online DB

How do you think all of this will play out if we get involved? Will it be worth it? So they're grabbing some oil in the water south of them. Big deal. I don't think we need to be worried.

That's what Europe said about Austria in the late 1930's... No big deal right... Then came Poland... And the rest is deadly history...

Offline Dexter

That's what Europe said about Austria in the late 1930's... No big deal right... Then came Poland... And the rest is deadly history...

It's a different time and the Chinese are a different people. I don't think it would go down like that.
-Socrates

Online DB

It's a different time and the Chinese are a different people. I don't think it would go down like that.

That's exactly what they said in the 1930's too... New enlightened period... Can't happen here...

Offline Dexter

That's exactly what they said in the 1930's too... New enlightened period... Can't happen here...

The Chinese aren't ignorant. Our military is far more powerful than theirs and they know it. Also people really are a lot more connected than they have ever been. The Chinese government knows damn well it would be handed its ass and shunned by the entire world if it started warmongering. They don't want that. There's nothing to gain.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 02:33:43 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

Online DB

The Chinese aren't ignorant. Our military is far more powerful than theirs and they know it. Also people really are a lot more connected than they have ever been. The Chinese government knows damn well it would be handed its ass and shunned by the entire world if it started warmongering. They don't want that. There's nothing to gain.

Europe wasn't ignorant either. Wishful thinking yes. Too many thought like you do. Look up the history of "peace in our time". "It isn't worth defending" they said and that's what the other side was counting on. It was an invitation to take it, so they did. By not resisting China it is an invitation to take it. And yes they have a lot to gain if we whimper off letting them take what they want unopposed.

Offline Absalom

Reflections on China.
Chinese military prowess has been laughable from day one
of the Shang Emperors in 1480 BC, some 3500 years ago, as
Japan was and remains the power in Asia.
In 1755, the Quin-long Emperor used the funds dedicated
to upgrade the Chinese Navy, then threatened by Japan,
to restore his Summer Palace in Beijing.
He also decided to build the "Boat of Purity and Ease"
constructed of Italian Carrara Marble to show the Navy that
his priorities were paramount.
China, then and now, is no more a world power than Sri Lanka!!!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 05:04:27 am by Absalom »

Online DB

Reflections on China.
Chinese military prowess has been laughable from day one
of the Shang Emperors in 1480 BC, some 3500 years ago, as
Japan was and remains the power in Asia.
In 1755, the Quin-long Emperor used the funds dedicated
to upgrade the Chinese Navy, then threatened by Japan,
to restore his Summer Palace in Beijing.
He also decided to construct the "Boat of Purity and Ease"
built of Italian Marble to show the Navy that his priorities
were paramount.
China, then and now, is no more a world power than Sri Lanka!!!

My guess is China has peaked. With China's latest tyrant in charge he's clamping down on what little freedom they had. I think that could well be a turning point in their recent ascent.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Hasn't Xi said that China should be the only superpower and he intends to get to that?  Maybe it's different that he is more open about world domination.

Offline Dexter

Hasn't Xi said that China should be the only superpower and he intends to get to that?  Maybe it's different that he is more open about world domination.

I don't know if he said that or not. I do know he's a Chinese nationalist, so I wouldn't be surprised. I consider myself a U.S nationalist. I want our culture to thrive and remain the dominant force in the world. I don't think wars are the way to achieve that, and I think Xi probably knows that.
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I don't know if he said that or not. I do know he's a Chinese nationalist, so I wouldn't be surprised. I consider myself a U.S nationalist. I want our culture to thrive and remain the dominant force in the world. I don't think wars are the way to achieve that, and I think Xi probably knows that.

Are we talking about the same Xi?  I'm judging his intent by his actions.  What are you using to make your claim?

Offline Absalom

Down thru history the World Powers have been European;
among them Greece, Rome, Spain, Britain, Germany. Why?
Because in addition to military prowess, they radiated the
attitudes, behaviors, impulses and sentiments that spawn success.
Yet the brain dead insist that size is the only element that matters.
Around 330 BC, the Persians decided to teach the Greeks a lesson.
So they met at Arbela (now Mosul, Iraq); the latter outnumbered 15 to 1.
There, Alexander annihilated the Persians of Darius, then conquered
the World. So much for size!
China is another laughable Asian power. Some truly need to wise up!!!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 05:54:24 pm by Absalom »

Online DB

There, Alexander annihilated the Persians of Darius conquering the World.
So much for size! China is another laughable Asian power.
Some truly need to wise up!!!

I'm not worried about China taking over the world. I am concerned for Taiwan, Japan and their immediate neighbors we have defense packs with. I think we should tell China to back off or we'll arm Japan with nukes or at least allow the Japanese to arm themselves with nukes. Make their adventurism into the South China Sea expensive.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

agreed.

Appeasement never works.  All it does is embolden.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Oceander

There, Alexander annihilated the Persians of Darius conquering the World.
So much for size! China is another laughable Asian power.
Some truly need to wise up!!!

:facepalm2:

Offline Absalom

I'm not worried about China taking over the world. I am concerned for Taiwan, Japan and their immediate neighbors we have defense packs with. I think we should tell China to back off or we'll arm Japan with nukes or at least allow the Japanese to arm themselves with nukes. Make their adventurism into the South China Sea expensive.
-----------------------
Astute and fair observation!