Author Topic: John Kelly, Hired To Restore Order For President Donald Trump, Is Out As Chief Of Staff  (Read 4793 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
WASHINGTON – Former White House chief of staff John Kelly, who was assigned to bring a level of discipline to President Donald Trump’s often chaotic administration, is leaving the post after months of internal tensions frequently spilled into public view, Trump said Saturday.

"John Kelly will be leaving toward the end of the year,” the president told reporters as he left the White House for the Army-Navy game in Philadelphia.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/08/john-kelly-out-donald-trump-chief-staff/339220002/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:19:14 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

No longer fake news.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Pretty hard to get anything done when he fires everyone he hires.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The average length of service for a COS is 18 months.  Kelly has served for 17.

Why are we so willing to be swept up in this cyclone created by the media to entertain its base?  Are we unable to ever just shrug?   :shrug:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Why are we so willing to be swept up in this cyclone created by the media to entertain its base?  Are we unable to ever just shrug?   :shrug:

They're like circling vultures, @Right_in_Virginia

Such a disgrace on a Conservative forum, given the alternative.   ...or the wolves at our door.   **nononono*
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline edpc

Are we unable to ever just shrug?

That seems to be the next step, after shoe gazing, deflation, and face palming.

Jesus

Christ

Almighty

I tried
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:48:54 pm by edpc »

That seems to be the next step, after shoe gazing, deflation, and face palming. 

What a silly response @edpc .  Kelly served honorably and fulfilled his mission.  17 months in the COS position is an eternity --- for anyone.

Kelly may not be the right man for the next mission-- the 2020 campaign, and I suspect Kelly is the last one who would argue with this.

Just thank the General for his service, Ed, and wish him well.  Why use him as a prop in your never ending crusade against the President and diminish him so?   I suspect the General would be the first to argue with your presentation.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:58:22 pm by edpc »

They're like circling vultures, @Right_in_Virginia

Such a disgrace on a Conservative forum, given the alternative.   ...or the wolves at our door.   **nononono*

Tough to argue with @DCPatriot   ....

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Pretty hard to get anything done when he fires everyone he hires.
For those who seem to care about such things, the shortest-lasting White House chief of staff was Pete Rouse, who lasted from the beginning of the 2010 baseball postseason to the near-beginning of 2011 spring training for Barack Obama. (OK, that's a slight joke.) Actually, he served 104 days. James Baker didn't last that much longer as George H.W. Bush's chief of staff--150 days, up to and including the day Bush's presidency ended. And the third-shortest tenure? Rinse Platypus with Donaldus Minimus. (150 days.)

The ascending time-served list from there goes as follows, with the presidents in question in parentheses and the number of days to follow; the Chris Bermanisms (what the hey, we got to have some fun!) are mine:

Kenneth Duberstein (Ronald Reagan)--203
Jack (Elementary, My Dear) Watson (Jimmy Carter)--223
Samuel (Mule) Skinner (George H.W. Bush)--251
James R. Jones (Lyndon B. Johnson)--269
Hamilton (Beach) Jordan (Jimmy Carter)--329
Jack Lew (Barack Obama)--359
Bill Daley (Barack Obama)--379
Donald (Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of) Rumsfeld (George W. Bush)--425
Dick Cheney (Gerald Ford)--427
Howard (The Butcher, the) Baker (Ronald Reagan)--490
John F. Kelly (Donald Trump)--495
Alexander Haig (& Haig Scotch) (Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford)--505
Mack (the Knife) McLarty (Bill Clinton)--543
Rahm Emanuel (Barack Obama)--619
Erskine (Finger) Bowles (Bill Clinton)--638
Donald Regan (Ronald Reagan)--753
John Podesta (Bill Clinton)--823
Wilton (Missing) Persons (Dwight Eisenhower)--836
Leon Panetta (Bill Clinton)--918
Joshua (Nuts and) Bolten (George W. Bush)--1,012
Kenneth O'Donnell (John F. Kennedy)--1,036
John (Here Comes the) Sununu (George H.W. Bush)--1,060
Marvin (Kilo) Watson (Lyndon B. Johnson)--1,180
Denis (the Menace) McDonough (Barack Obama)--1,461
James Baker (Ronald Reagan)--1,476
H.R. Haldeman (Richard Nixon)--1,561
Andrew (Hallmark) Card (George W. Bush)--1,910
Sherman (Tank) Adams (Dwight Eisenhower)--2,086
John (U.S.) Steelman (Harry S. Truman)--2,231

Incidentally, if you're keeping score at home, the foregoing indicates that Obama leads the league with having had five White House chiefs of staff.  Clinton is tied with Reagan for a close second with four. G.H.W.B. pulls right up behind with three, in a dead heat with Nixon, Ford, and the Right Reverend Dr. Jimmy Sol Hargis. President Tweety (so far) is tied with G.W.B., L.B.J. and Ike for two. J.F.K. had but one.

I thought John Kelly was a good man in a not-so-great position, myself. It must have been more than painful for him to deal with the president's continuing apparent disparagement of a Cabinet secretary he's considered a close confidante, Homeland Security secretary Kirstjen Nielsen.

On the other hand, based on this photograph, Kelly gives you an idea of how NCIS star Mark Harmon would look if Harmon should lose his hair . . .

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:43:14 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline edpc

What a silly response @edpc .  Kelly served honorably and fulfilled his mission.  17 months in the COS position is an eternity --- for anyone.

Kelly may not be the right man for the next mission-- the 2020 campaign, and I suspect Kelly is the last one who would argue with this.

Just thank the General for his service, Ed, and wish him well.  Why use him as a prop in your never ending crusade against the President and diminish him so?   I suspect the General would be the first to argue with your presentation.

The next mission is not the 2020 election and you know it.  It’s surviving 2019.

According to a source with direct knowledge, Chief of Staff John Kelly recently formed a small working group to start preparing for the possibility that Democrats will soon sic Congress' top investigators on Trumpworld. Senior White House staff have an offsite weekend retreat scheduled for late October. The agenda is expected to include a discussion of investigations under a Democratic-controlled House, according to the source.

https://www.axios.com/white-house-prepping-trump-democratic-legal-storm-6802dc91-bb27-4e14-86ba-028aab3bd793.html

As far as diminishing him, I’m shocked he lasted this long.  We just heard from Tillerson yesterday, how he struggled with an undisciplined boss, after coming from a very disciplined background.  Kelly and Mattis probably LOLed.

If I have any crusade, it’s offering some reality to the sycophantic fantasy land in which people like yourself dwell and attempt to foist upon us.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Why? Because so-called "conservatives" today are pretty much like everybody else; prone to internet-media outrage (and the main mission of THIS site is a daily curated supply of anti-Trump material, both real and otherwise) .

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
For those who seem to care about such things, the shortest-lasting White House chief of staff was Pete Rouse, who lasted from the beginning of the 2010 baseball postseason to the near-beginning of 2011 spring training for Barack Obama. (OK, that's a slight joke.) Actually, he served 104 days. James Baker didn't last that much longer as George H.W. Bush's chief of staff--150 days, up to and including the day Bush's presidency ended. And the third-shortest tenure? Rinse Platypus with Donaldus Minimus. (150 days.)

The ascending time-served list from there goes as follows, with the presidents in question in parentheses and the number of days to follow; the Chris Bermanisms (what the hey, we got to have some fun!) are mine:

Kenneth Duberstein (Ronald Reagan)--203
Jack (Elementary, My Dear) Watson (Jimmy Carter)--223
Samuel (Mule) Skinner (George H.W. Bush)--251
James R. Jones (Lyndon B. Johnson)--269
Hamilton (Beach) Jordan (Jimmy Carter)--329
Jack Lew (Barack Obama)--359
Bill Daley (Barack Obama)--379
Donald (Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of) Rumsfeld (George W. Bush)--425
Dick Cheney (Gerald Ford)--427
Howard (The Butcher, the) Baker (Ronald Reagan)--490
John F. Kelly (Donald Trump)--495
Alexander Haig (& Haig Scotch) (Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford)--505
Mack (the Knife) McLarty (Bill Clinton)--543
Rahm Emanuel (Barack Obama)--619
Erskine (Finger) Bowles (Bill Clinton)--638
Donald Regan (Ronald Reagan)--753
John Podesta (Bill Clinton)--823
Wilton (Missing) Persons (Dwight Eisenhower)--836
Leon Panetta (Bill Clinton)--918
Joshua (Nuts and) Bolten (George W. Bush)--1,012
Kenneth O'Donnell (John F. Kennedy)--1,036
John (Here Comes the) Sununu (George H.W. Bush)--1,060
Marvin (Kilo) Watson (Lyndon B. Johnson)--1,180
Denis (the Menace) McDonough (Barack Obama)--1,461
James Baker (Ronald Reagan)--1,476
H.R. Haldeman (Richard Nixon)--1,561
Andrew (Hallmark) Card (George W. Bush)--1,910
Sherman (Tank) Adams (Dwight Eisenhower)--2,086
John (U.S.) Steelman (Harry S. Truman)--2,231

Great context, @EasyAce.  Of your list, 16 served less time than Kelly and 17 served more.  Looks like Kelly is real close to the median.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:04:05 pm by Sanguine »

Offline EasyAce

Great context, @EasyAce.  Of your list, 16 served less time than Kelly and 17 served more.  Looks like Kelly is real close to the median.
@Sanguine
That's what I figured even before I took Casey Stengel's advice and looked it up.

The thing to remember is that White House chiefs of staff don't always have unmolested tenures, for assorted reasons. The Trump White House is rightly considered somewhat chaotic, but it's not exactly the first White House to be a little on the chaotic side. And whether future presidents are Republican or Democratic, it won't be the last such one, either.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Yep.  Puts things in perspective for the NT'rs. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

@EasyAce

I’d only make two changes to your list....

Alexander (I’m in control, here) Haig

John (Smarter than you) Sununu

Big Bad John Sununu
He's smarter than you are, and he wants you to know it. That's why George Bush prizes his brusque but brilliant White House chief of staff

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,970136-2,00.html

Offline EasyAce

@EasyAce

I’d only make two changes to your list....

Alexander (I’m in control, here) Haig

John (Smarter than you) Sununu

Big Bad John Sununu
He's smarter than you are, and he wants you to know it. That's why George Bush prizes his brusque but brilliant White House chief of staff

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,970136-2,00.html
@edpc
*chuckling* Obviously you're not conversant in Chris Bermanisms (the whacky nicknames Berman would conjure up for baseball players based directly on their names, which began when he couldn't resist hanging then-Giants catcher Kirt Manwaring with "Kirt [What is That] Manwaring]" and took off from there).  wink777
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:36:26 pm by EasyAce »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Yep.  Puts things in perspective for the NT'rs.

NT'rs are not self-aware or open minded  enough, to realize their need for perspective.

That is why they became and remain, MT'rs.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online corbe

Tough to argue with @DCPatriot   ....

That is TRUE @Right_in_Virginia but you also are tough to argue with due specifically to your close mindness concerning anything #MAGA.   Maybe with the dems running the house you'll reposition your artillery fire on them and leave us Conservatives alone for a couple of years, though doubtful.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

NT'rs are not self-aware or open minded  enough, to realize their need for perspective.

Oh, my kingdom for some petroleum gauze.  What a sick burn.    *****rollingeyes*****

Online corbe

Here ya go @edpc I've been using it for 2 years with remarkable results.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

The next mission is not the 2020 election and you know it.  It’s surviving 2019.

According to a source with direct knowledge, Chief of Staff John Kelly recently formed a small working group to start preparing for the possibility that Democrats will soon sic Congress' top investigators on Trumpworld. Senior White House staff have an offsite weekend retreat scheduled for late October. The agenda is expected to include a discussion of investigations under a Democratic-controlled House, according to the source.

https://www.axios.com/white-house-prepping-trump-democratic-legal-storm-6802dc91-bb27-4e14-86ba-028aab3bd793.html

As far as diminishing him, I’m shocked he lasted this long.  We just heard from Tillerson yesterday, how he struggled with an undisciplined boss, after coming from a very disciplined background.  Kelly and Mattis probably LOLed.

If I have any crusade, it’s offering some reality to the sycophantic fantasy land in which people like yourself dwell and attempt to foist upon us.

Right. We've seen nothing but hysteria whipped media frenzy about how Trump is constantly teetering on the edge of oblivion for nearly two years. Little has come to pass.

Even the Dems great '18 tsunami was mediocre. We have a Senate and Executive that can counter investigate at will.

It's not going to be the clear cut linear progression you suggest.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

We have a Senate and Executive that can counter investigate at will.

It's not going to be the clear cut linear progression you suggest.

Exactly. It’s going to be a massive, draining shit show and people will tire of it and its originator, over time.

Offline goodwithagun

My liberal brother-in-law accused us of the same thing when we refused to let his flaming homosexual cousin babysit our kids the day after Thanksgiving so that we could go shopping later in the evening.

Also, what do you have against mother truckers? Mother truckers have done nothing to you!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:12:43 pm by goodwithagun »
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline edpc

Also, what do you have against mother truckers?

I had a different interpretation of MTers. I’m a proud ‘emptier’ and plan to do that with a few of these, during the UFC bouts tonight....

Offline goodwithagun

I had a different interpretation of MTers. I’m a proud ‘emptier’ and plan to do that with a few of these, during the UFC bouts tonight....

Well, that looks delicious! I’m about to have a lovely glass of Spanish white blend I picked up at Aldi’s. I LOVE Aldi’s wine selection this time of year!
I stand with Roosgirl.