Author Topic: The climate change pit of despair  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The climate change pit of despair
« on: December 08, 2018, 05:29:59 pm »

Everywhere you turn, you are bombarded with concerns about climate change. Whether the weather is sunny, windy, hot, cold, dry, wet, blizzard-y, hurricane-y, or somewhere in between, “climate change” is the default reason for the season.

And climate change, we are told, is all our fault. Humans – especially the wasteful humans living in Western nations – are solely to blame for anything and everything weather-related. Never mind geologic history depicting changes through time. It’s always our fault.

In 2017, the World Economic Forum took its annual Global Shapers Survey of 31,000 18-to-35-year-olds from 186 countries on key issue, and concerns about climate change were hands-down the winning worry, with 90 percent of young people agreeing humans are responsible.
The younger generations are fed a constant and never-ending diet of propaganda about climate change, from kindergarten through graduate school. “It’s pretty terrifying to realize that we are ‘the first generation that knows we are destroying the world, and could be the last that can do anything about it,’ as the WWF puts it,” notes an article on Mashable. “However daunting it is, when it comes to thinking about climate change as a whole, being overwhelmed and shutting down makes zero sense, because individual acts can make a huge difference.”

The article then lists the usual “small, everyday” steps everyone can take to reduce their impact on the planet.

https://www.wnd.com/2018/12/the-climate-change-pit-of-despair/print/
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: The climate change pit of despair
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 05:32:20 pm »
Apparently some of the population wants to have guilt they can deal with.  They can't help being White and they don't want to stop being privileged but they can feel guilty about not recycling their beer cans  or filling their swimming pools.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 05:33:05 pm »
From the article:

These individual actions are well and good, but such advice is usually followed by despair at how ineffective it is in the overall grand scheme of things. Can going paperless save the planet? Of course not. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go paperless, but you must also recognize the planet’s climate will continue to change – and somehow, somehow, it’s all your fault. You exist, therefore you’re to blame.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 05:52:52 pm »
This sort of ticks me off.  We have to believe in AGW in order to be good stewards of the earth?  I think conservatives are just as concerned about our environment as leftists are.  We just don't see environmentalism as a replacement religion. 

So, I looked at the list.  I think I come out as more responsible than the environmentalists:

The #2minutesolution
Pick up litter.  I do this when I see it on my road, because I don’t want to see litter.  Makes sense and isn’t too SJWish.

Green home
I’m switching to LEDs because they last longer and don’t put off the heat that incandescents do.  That’s important where I live.

Go veggie for a day
I do this sometimes, but it’s usually more accidental than not.  I have an artichoke frittata recipe that is quick and good and I make that for supper sometimes.  What’s not to love about cheese, eggs and peppers?

Reusable over disposable
I agree with this and have a water bottle that I fill with tap water and carry with me rather than buy bottled water.  But, I’m of the age where the idea of buying water is still a bit odd.

All the stuff we buy nowadays is overpackaged.  Often the product is only a small part of what we are buying.  I try to buy stuff that isn’t so heavily packaged, but that is a challenge.

No paper trail
Paper is more “sustainable” than plastic, but again, overpackaging is wasteful. 
All my bills come electronically now, and all of my records are likewise electronic.  Those I need to take with me somewhere, I load onto my phone, like my car insurance info.  And, I don't have file folders loaded with ancient, dusty records that I can never find what I actually need at the time.  Records just go into a folder on my desktop and I can do a search if I'm having trouble finding them.  I have redundant backup systems, so it should be pretty safe.

Save water
Living in a frequently very dry climate and being dependent on a well and not a city water system has made me very aware of my water consumption.  I try to be conservative with its use.  For instance, the dishwasher uses less water than handwashing, so that’s a win-win.  I don’t have a yard (I have acres, not a yard) so I don’t water the grass and avoid that pain in the neck.  Cuts down on the mowing in the hot months too. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 06:16:05 pm »
Reusable over disposable
I agree with this and have a water bottle that I fill with tap water and carry with me rather than buy bottled water.  But, I’m of the age where the idea of buying water is still a bit odd.

We have a water cooler at work. Some fancy mountain spring water. I have a plastic gallon milk jug I fill every day from it. Mostly so I can gauge my water intake. I get really tired if I don't consume around a gallon of water a day. But I am constantly throwing out partially drank store bought water bottles out of the shop. And Diet Pepsi 64 oz. large cups.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 08:41:50 pm »
This sort of ticks me off.  We have to believe in AGW in order to be good stewards of the earth?  I think conservatives are just as concerned about our environment as leftists are.  We just don't see environmentalism as a replacement religion. 

So, I looked at the list.  I think I come out as more responsible than the environmentalists:

The #2minutesolution
Pick up litter.  I do this when I see it on my road, because I don’t want to see litter.  Makes sense and isn’t too SJWish.

Green home
I’m switching to LEDs because they last longer and don’t put off the heat that incandescents do.  That’s important where I live.

Go veggie for a day
I do this sometimes, but it’s usually more accidental than not.  I have an artichoke frittata recipe that is quick and good and I make that for supper sometimes.  What’s not to love about cheese, eggs and peppers?

Reusable over disposable

All the stuff we buy nowadays is overpackaged.  Often the product is only a small part of what we are buying.  I try to buy stuff that isn’t so heavily packaged, but that is a challenge.

No paper trail
All my bills come electronically now, and all of my records are likewise electronic.  Those I need to take with me somewhere, I load onto my phone, like my car insurance info.  And, I don't have file folders loaded with ancient, dusty records that I can never find what I actually need at the time.  Records just go into a folder on my desktop and I can do a search if I'm having trouble finding them.  I have redundant backup systems, so it should be pretty safe.

Save water
Living in a frequently very dry climate and being dependent on a well and not a city water system has made me very aware of my water consumption.  I try to be conservative with its use.  For instance, the dishwasher uses less water than handwashing, so that’s a win-win.  I don’t have a yard (I have acres, not a yard) so I don’t water the grass and avoid that pain in the neck.  Cuts down on the mowing in the hot months too.

All very worthwhile, but what you are talking about is environmental change and has nothing whatever to do with climate.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 08:45:24 pm »
All very worthwhile, but what you are talking about is environmental change and has nothing whatever to do with climate.

Did you read the article, @Emjay?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 09:12:56 pm »
We have a water cooler at work. Some fancy mountain spring water. I have a plastic gallon milk jug I fill every day from it. Mostly so I can gauge my water intake. I get really tired if I don't consume around a gallon of water a day. But I am constantly throwing out partially drank store bought water bottles out of the shop. And Diet Pepsi 64 oz. large cups.

I need a ton of water every day too - About a gallon and a half.
I buy Snapple Peach Tea every now and then, and reuse that jug for water - About a quart, so six of them a day... But I have begun transitioning back to wide mouth mason jars, because eventually the plastic bottle starts getting ganky, and you can smell the mold in it, no matter how you wash em... That means something is breaking down in them, and that something is going into my body.

SO back to glass, at least when I am home. I got a bunch of those plastic lids for mason jars, which make them pretty easy to use, and that plastic doesn't seem to be degrading (though it is not in direct contact with whatever liquid, most the time).

And I will probably convert to stainless for when I am away. That is already pretty natural, as all my kit is stainless, so I can boil and carry in the bush... But that is where those Snapple bottles are hardest to let go of - They are super durable, don't get hot as quickly in the sun, and they are readily available, so incidental if they are lost. No good for the bush, but pretty useful around town.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 09:15:53 pm »
I need a ton of water every day too - About a gallon and a half.
I buy Snapple Peach Tea every now and then, and reuse that jug for water - About a quart, so six of them a day... But I have begun transitioning back to wide mouth mason jars, because eventually the plastic bottle starts getting ganky, and you can smell the mold in it, no matter how you wash em... That means something is breaking down in them, and that something is going into my body.

SO back to glass, at least when I am home. I got a bunch of those plastic lids for mason jars, which make them pretty easy to use, and that plastic doesn't seem to be degrading (though it is not in direct contact with whatever liquid, most the time).

And I will probably convert to stainless for when I am away. That is already pretty natural, as all my kit is stainless, so I can boil and carry in the bush... But that is where those Snapple bottles are hardest to let go of - They are super durable, don't get hot as quickly in the sun, and they are readily available, so incidental if they are lost. No good for the bush, but pretty useful around town.

I take a new jug every Monday. So it is only 4 days per jug. And I take tap water the first day. Our tap water tastes better than the stuff from the cooler. I should do it every day. Too lazy to bring the jug home.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 09:54:52 pm »

The #2minutesolution

Green home

Go veggie for a day

Reusable over disposable

No paper trail

Save water
The problem is environmentalism, itself. When (for a brief period in the 1970s, the Ecology was the focus, maintaining a balance that allows nature to do its thing, and not disrupting that balance, everything was clicking along tickety-boo, and the pollution that was disturbing that balance was cleaned up. Rivers stopped catching fire, fish came back, etc.

Unfortuntely, environmentalism seeks to preserve such dynamic systems in stasis, which won't allow for everything from natural variations in populations, to weather cycles, to well, you name it--anything more or less than last years numbers is seen as progress or catastrophe, depending on what the environmentalists want.

Different regions have different ecological balances, flora, fauna, climate, geology, all are factors. If you're getting along with where you are and getting by, you do just fine. One size fits all doesn't work.

That said, I don't like to waste anything, especially if it was alive at one point. I have been in a lot of places where I took nothing but pictures (and/or memories) and here and there a few rocks, and left nothing but footprints, if that.
I know those resources can be replaced, but why disrespect our Creator by wasting what he has given us? Especially high on the list of things not to waste is meat, because something died so I could have that. What doesn't go for soup goes to the dog.
I guess my viewpoint is affected, too, by having once considered what it would take to make a plastic jug (like water or milk come in) if our society suffered a major setback. That doesn't stop me from throwing most of 'em (or this place would look like a hoarders episode) that I have not repurposed for something.

That said, I like hard copy. I have a small library of my own, and keep paper copies of most every transaction in case I need them for taxes. (The ecologies of pulpwood areas have been sown with trees for that purpose, and the harvest will lead to areas which will grow browse for animals while the trees mature for the next round.) Eventually, these will start fires in the fireplace, where tree limbs and even trees from the neighborhood eventually end up providing heat. I use incandescent light bulbs, because the lights seldom are on except at night--and night is markedly a larger part of the day at this latitude in winter, when the heat given off is not wasted. I like the light better, too. In summer, when darkness might be down to 8 hours or less in midsummer, the lights are only needed in closets and such, and seldom on.
Water is not a problem here, The grass cools the  yard in summer, and the fruit trees (mainly) feed the local wildlife. So that works.

Like I said, it depends on your local ecology whether or not you are a good steward of the land, and no one sitting in DC or elsewhere can determine that as well as someone who is well acquainted with that ecology (ideally, you).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:57:14 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 10:01:21 pm »

YEP. More or less, country folk live by a similar set of principles without all the nonsense, somewhat contained in two country principles: Don't sh*t where you eat, and, wear every thing out, and then some...

The #2minutesolution

Me too. Where I go walking can get shabby, as it is a bike path... When it starts getting too bad, I will make a run down it with a metal poker and an old newspaper carrier's sling bag I still have... Takes nothing really to pick the trash off it, and it looks way better.

More than that, I don't make trash. Most winters, my big black garbage can sits in one place and won't go to the curb till spring, because I make so little trash that it can. Most of the food scraps go to the chickens or the compost heap... I generally use canvas for shopping, and that which ain't is generally paper (which, brown paper is infinitely usable), and about half of my food is in Mason jars rather than cans, and more every year... so what little plastic I get, and what little in metal, is almost incidental... And of that, plastic shopping bags are neatly sorted and stored for reuse, until I get too many, where I will just throw a bag of them off at the recycling bins over to the Albertson's, next time I go shopping...

Green home

Other way around on that one. In the first place LED lights keep me awake (I won't get tired), and mostly, because the heat incandescents make is very desirable - from helping with ambience and heat in the house, to the well house, that is heated through the winter with a 100w light bulb... And a string of lights that run under the house for service, that secondarily can heat the crawlspace enough to unfreeze the pipes... Nope. The Great White North LOVES incandescent bulbs. 

Go veggie for a day

Well, off the get-go, the whole premise is plumb nonsense. The demand for meat is no where near overrunning the planet's resources. And the herds we now maintain are far less than what was - Buffalo used to take a day or two for the herd to pass by...

I ain't against vegetarianism, but the notion that it is superior to omnivores, or that it is helping to save the planet is nothing but silly nonsense.

Reusable over disposable

No paper trail

See above, and what I wrote Fred. Most of what I do doesn't generate garbage in the first place.
 And I too have had digital records for years and years... Though legally I have to keep paper records for the businesses for 7 years. Not to worry though... that makes for brilliant fire-starter eventually, especially since I no longer get a newspaper, and haven't for decades. I start my fires with old records and junk mail.

Save water

While we are technically on the edge of high desert, water here is plentiful and crystal clear. This one depends on where you are I reckon. I have water aplenty - You have solar and wind...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 10:08:46 pm »
I take a new jug every Monday. So it is only 4 days per jug. And I take tap water the first day. Our tap water tastes better than the stuff from the cooler. I should do it every day. Too lazy to bring the jug home.

Well, I am blessed with actual artesian spring water here at the house - about half of why I bought the place.

Back in the day, when I was working hard, I used to take two milk jugs for water every day - Takes two days for them to freeze up hard in the freezer, so I had three or four pairs, but in the heat of summer, those jugs were giving me ice cold water by 10am, and would stay plenty cold till between 3 and 5 o'clock, depending on the shade.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 10:27:28 pm »
Well, I am blessed with actual artesian spring water here at the house - about half of why I bought the place.

Back in the day, when I was working hard, I used to take two milk jugs for water every day - Takes two days for them to freeze up hard in the freezer, so I had three or four pairs, but in the heat of summer, those jugs were giving me ice cold water by 10am, and would stay plenty cold till between 3 and 5 o'clock, depending on the shade.

Speaking of freezing up. The 4 hams and chicken we got shopping Thursday are safely under the tarp I covered the loveseat on our porch. Froze solid. Too lazy to take it out back to the shed, where the mechanical freezer is.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 10:38:17 pm »
Speaking of freezing up. The 4 hams and chicken we got shopping Thursday are safely under the tarp I covered the loveseat on our porch. Froze solid. Too lazy to take it out back to the shed, where the mechanical freezer is.

Yeah... Ain't it great? Folks wonder why rednecks keep their freezers on the porch... Because in the winter, you just unplug it and keep the lid cracked open a little bit.

:beer:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 01:05:23 am »
Did you read the article, @Emjay?

No, just what I posted.  Don't tell me you think water use or trash pickup affects climate?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 01:24:18 am »
No, just what I posted.  Don't tell me you think water use or trash pickup affects climate?

@Sanguine

Centralia mine fire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia_mine_fire

Are you familiar with the late great Ogallala Aquifer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogallala_Aquifer

You act you live on an island, separated by thousands of miles away from reality.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 01:36:35 am »
@Sanguine

Centralia mine fire.

You act you live on an island, separated by thousands of miles away from reality.

As happens frequently, Fred, I have no idea what point you are making, but, yes, I am familiar with both the Centralia fire and the Ogalalla Aquifer.  I no longer live in Austin, which is 435* acres surrounded by reality.

*I have no idea if that is the correct number.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 01:38:39 am by Sanguine »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 01:55:18 am »
Yeah... Ain't it great? Folks wonder why rednecks keep their freezers on the porch... Because in the winter, you just unplug it and keep the lid cracked open a little bit.

:beer:

I keep mine on the back patio because it's more energy efficient that way (I run the A/C most of the year).
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 02:07:24 am »
As happens frequently, Fred, I have no idea what you are saying, but, yes, I am familiar with both the Centralia fire and the Ogalalla Aquifer.

Hmmm... what is the purported start of the Centralia fire? " The fire is suspected to be from deliberate burning of trash in a former strip mine, igniting a coal seam".

Similarly, the Ogalalla Aquifer. Accessed by farmers to the point that it can't, or won't be self-replenishing. Central (USA) America is an amazing agriculture area, By the means of human intervention, or inoculation, against famine. The effect of that wide swath of land, irrigated, has its effect. 

I would like to see those things factored into the equations.

Look at the "Asian Brown Cloud" and then see why that isn't included in the effing accords.

It is also a comparison to the "butterfly effect". Your conservatism, as regards to your local environment, combined with millions of other people, will have an effect on the planet ecology. Even decades after we are gone, to see that effect.

My reply is, in terms, the factor of large human interaction with planet ecology compared to individual use.

The people who stopped coal production in this country had, at the top most, the agenda to sustain big oil. Or the greenies stopping hydro to save a snail darter.

What you posted made complete sense to me. I understood it. And what @roamer_1 posted in reply made perfect sense to me. I found myself putting 4 halogen work lights up close to our air compressor at work Thursday morning to heat it up so it could RUN. It shuts down at 40 degrees f. Cold kills mechanical equipment. Same thing as heat. Heat kills mechanical equipment. There is a balance that has to be maintained.

Greenies running amok doesn't solve it. Throwing money at it doesn't solve it. STEALING money doesn't solve it. Intelligent use..aka...conservatism...does.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 02:20:45 am »
Hmmm... what is the purported start of the Centralia fire? " The fire is suspected to be from deliberate burning of trash in a former strip mine, igniting a coal seam".

Similarly, the Ogalalla Aquifer. Accessed by farmers to the point that it can't, or won't be self-replenishing. Central (USA) America is an amazing agriculture area, By the means of human intervention, or inoculation, against famine. The effect of that wide swath of land, irrigated, has its effect. 

I would like to see those things factored into the equations.

Look at the "Asian Brown Cloud" and then see why that isn't included in the effing accords.

It is also a comparison to the "butterfly effect". Your conservatism, as regards to your local environment, combined with millions of other people, will have an effect on the planet ecology. Even decades after we are gone, to see that effect.

My reply is, in terms, the factor of large human interaction with planet ecology compared to individual use.

The people who stopped coal production in this country had, at the top most, the agenda to sustain big oil. Or the greenies stopping hydro to save a snail darter.

What you posted made complete sense to me. I understood it. And what @roamer_1 posted in reply made perfect sense to me. I found myself putting 4 halogen work lights up close to our air compressor at work Thursday morning to heat it up so it could RUN. It shuts down at 40 degrees f. Cold kills mechanical equipment. Same thing as heat. Heat kills mechanical equipment. There is a balance that has to be maintained.

Greenies running amok doesn't solve it. Throwing money at it doesn't solve it. STEALING money doesn't solve it. Intelligent use..aka...conservatism...does.

Excellent statement on your part.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 02:58:08 am »
@Sanguine

Centralia mine fire.

Ha, ha.  I live on an island but reality exists here on the Island.  Everything y'all talk about has zero to do with Climate Change.  Yes, some of the things can affect the environment.

Right now we should do something dramatic to prevent catastrophic wildfires, but we don't.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 03:28:19 am »
Ha, ha.  I live on an island but reality exists here on the Island.  Everything y'all talk about has zero to do with Climate Change.  Yes, some of the things can affect the environment.

Right now we should do something dramatic to prevent catastrophic wildfires, but we don't.

There is something strange there. There is drone footage out there that shows houses and cars burnt to the ground, but the surrounding vegetation isn't even scorched. Take the time to look it up on Youtube.

Where I live we used to be able to glean the forests of dead trees to help stop the mass destruction of our forests, after they killed logging, of these so called wildfires. Not anymore.

Emjay. You make sense here when your sense makes sense. In this subject, you play the fool.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 03:57:58 am »
There is something strange there. There is drone footage out there that shows houses and cars burnt to the ground, but the surrounding vegetation isn't even scorched. Take the time to look it up on Youtube.

Where I live we used to be able to glean the forests of dead trees to help stop the mass destruction of our forests, after they killed logging, of these so called wildfires. Not anymore.

Emjay. You make sense here when your sense makes sense. In this subject, you play the fool.

I think I may be the only person on this thread who is NOT playing the fool.  We should take care of our habitat ... it's what we live in.  And we should definitely take care of the forest problem which was caused by radical environmentalist who would rather sacrifice a whole forest than thin out some trees.

But anybody thinks what we do has an effect on whether the climate is hot or cold is not thinking straight.  Climate changed on earth before man existed.  Good thing because otherwise we'd be living in igloos.  It will continue to change no matter what we do but these changes take thousands of years.  But pick up your trash anyway, so you won't have to look at trash.  Duh.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 04:04:22 am »
I think I may be the only person on this thread who is NOT playing the fool.  We should take care of our habitat ... it's what we live in.  And we should definitely take care of the forest problem which was caused by radical environmentalist who would rather sacrifice a whole forest than thin out some trees.

But anybody thinks what we do has an effect on whether the climate is hot or cold is not thinking straight.  Climate changed on earth before man existed.  Good thing because otherwise we'd be living in igloos.  It will continue to change no matter what we do but these changes take thousands of years.  But pick up your trash anyway, so you won't have to look at trash.  Duh.

Diamonds in the rough. I am trying to pick up your trash. Stop stepping on my feat.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2018, 04:10:06 am »

Good grief, @Emjay, get off your high horse.  Go read the article so that you can at least sound like you know what you're talking about.