Author Topic: December 7 - Remembering Pearl Harbor Day Thread 🇺🇸  (Read 2176 times)

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: December 7 - Remembering Pearl Harbor Day Thread 🇺🇸
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 10:06:49 pm »
I imagine that memorial is very moving.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 10:13:50 pm »
Thanks for this thread, @Freya .

We visited the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial 2 years ago and one of the Pearl Harbor survivors was there. (He was charming!)  I heard that none of the survivors (5 of them left?) was able to get to the Memorial service this year.

We were able to go into the Memorial and stand atop the sunken ship.

It was one of the most moving experiences I have ever had.

We will NOT forget!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 10:31:18 pm »

Yes it is.  As you walk into the memorial, there is a big AZ State Flag.  I took my son there, and it didn't really hit him about the significance of the place until he saw that flag.  Our flag.  I told him, "See all these people here?  I'll wager you are the only native-born Arizonian here.  Be proud of our Battleship, and those brave souls listed on that wall."  Two thousand (or so) names are on that wall.

I can tell you more if you like.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:36:42 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online berdie

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 11:46:49 pm »
Thank you for the thread @Freya .

My Dad was a WWII vet and we always remembered the day...and D-Day.  An uncle died at Anzio. The other two fought in both Europe and the Pacific.

Sadly, I fear that as these folks pass away so will the knowledge.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 11:57:47 pm »
Thank you for the thread @Freya .

My Dad was a WWII vet and we always remembered the day...and D-Day.  An uncle died at Anzio. The other two fought in both Europe and the Pacific.

Sadly, I fear that as these folks pass away so will the knowledge.

Thank you @berdie for your families service
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online berdie

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 12:58:12 am »
Thank you @berdie for your families service

Thank you @Freya for being such a kind person.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 01:01:43 am »
v

@austingirl

It definitely is, but the memorial for the Submariners is the one that had me crying like a baby.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: December 7 - Remembering Pearl Harbor Day Thread us
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 01:20:33 am »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2018, 05:38:40 am »
My dad was on the battleship  USS Mississippi, which was also the first word us kids learned to spell, taught by him of course. He was proud of that ole girl, which had a gallant WWII battle history. Hit by kamakazies twice. The ship anchored in Tokyo Bay during the surrender.

It was during one of the trips to Bremerton Shipyard for repairs after one of these attackes where he met my mom.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline verga

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2018, 03:52:41 pm »
@verga my dad refused to talk to me or to anyone about what he experienced in Germany during the war. I have lots of stories about basic training but none about the war other than he was a Sergeant and a medic.

It was like what happened in Germany stayed in Germany. I really regret it because it was history but he was adamant about not talking about it.

I have his Eisenhower jacket in my apartment and his medals and dog tags. I miss him. I should visit him today but by the time I get there it will be dark. I guess I can go Sunday, it’s not like he’ll know I’m there. And he’s in my heart.
Please3 thank him for his service from my wife and I. I know he won't know it, but still they all deserve our thanks.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:57:05 pm by verga »
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 03:54:52 pm »
My Dad was a door-opener too.  Couple stories I heard weren't nice.  Iwo Jima, Tinian, Okinawa, etc.
That was a job that took Iron balls. It took two hands to unlatch that bastard, and until you could swing your hand around to grab the .30 cal, you were a sitting duck.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 07:54:13 pm »
It was an expensive and hectic day trip but we took a flight from Maui to Pearl so my 16 year old could see the memorial. The winds were too high that day so the boats could only run along side the Arizona and not land on the memorial itself for safety reasons. Too bad, my son really wanted to see it.

The wind and waves really wasn't that bad.  I experienced dozens of motor launches with a couple of dozen drunk sailors in waves far worse and in the pitch black night. We made it.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn