Author Topic: This Supreme Court Case Could Impact The Mueller Probe And Boost Trump's Pardon Power  (Read 661 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
A decision barring dual prosecutions could allow some of those already convicted in special counsel Robert Mueller's probe to get off scot-free if President Trump were to pardon them.

The double jeopardy clause of the Constitution says someone can't be prosecuted twice for the same crime.

But, in fact, for 160 years, the Supreme Court has said that separate sovereigns — state and federal governments — can do just that, because each sovereign government has separate laws and interests.

Now, the Supreme Court could be ready to reverse that long-standing rule — and that could have consequences for special counsel Robert Mueller's ongoing investigation of President Trump and his associates and their ties to Russia.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/06/673449144/this-supreme-court-case-could-impact-the-mueller-probe-and-boost-trumps-pardon-p
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
The case has attracted extra attention because of Trump's comments that he could possibly pardon his onetime campaign chairman Paul Manafort and other Trump associates who have been — or could be — convicted in prosecutions brought by Mueller.

There are a couple of problems with this. First, there were a number of charges against Manafort, where a verdict was not issued. Similar state charges could be brought and the pardon would not have effect. Also, state tax evasion charges could be brought. Presidential pardons have no jurisdiction over them.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline bilo

It would be a great victory for liberty if the SCOTUS ended the ability of different govts to sue/prosecute an individual for the same crime. I'm also hoping they end law enforcement's ability to seize property of an accused.

Govt is too big, too intrusive and has too much control over our lives.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
It would be a great victory for liberty if the SCOTUS ended the ability of different govts to sue/prosecute an individual for the same crime. I'm also hoping they end law enforcement's ability to seize property of an accused.

I wonder when they will make their ruling on the Asset Forfeiture case.

Offline bilo

I wonder when they will make their ruling on the Asset Forfeiture case.

https://www.redstate.com/streiff/2018/12/03/civil-asset-may-limited-supreme-court-unusual-case/

I don't know when the ruling will be made, but it sounds promising.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Oceander

Not gonna happen.

Online Wingnut

Not gonna happen.

You have a track record similar to Judge Nappy.

/snicker