Author Topic: Senate heading for historic vote to pull US military aid to Saudi Arabia  (Read 580 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate heading for historic vote to pull US military aid to Saudi Arabia
by Susan Ferrechio
 | December 06, 2018 12:00 AM

The Senate could begin debating a measure as early as Monday that would override the Trump administration and force the withdrawal of U.S. support for the Saudi-led war in Yemen.

The effort is fueled in large part by a strong sense among lawmakers in both parties that the United States needs to rebuke Saudi Arabia over the murder of dissident Jamal Khashoggi.

The Senate has never considered a measure to withdraw U.S. military forces from an overseas conflict, and the resolution would compel them to take such a vote. Many think the Senate will take it up.

The vote hasn’t been scheduled yet, but Senate lawmakers anticipate Monday’s agenda will include passage of a motion to proceed to the joint resolution.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/senate-heading-for-historic-vote-to-pull-us-military-aid-to-saudi-arabia
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Senate heading for historic vote to pull US military aid to Saudi Arabia
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 02:32:17 pm »
A resolution is non-binding, political posturing.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 02:43:53 pm »
A resolution is non-binding, political posturing.

Correct my if I'm wrong here, but doesn't a resolution then get voted on and then a bill introduced which in turn the President would need to sign or veto?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 02:53:19 pm »
Correct my if I'm wrong here, but doesn't a resolution then get voted on and then a bill introduced which in turn the President would need to sign or veto?

@libertybele

No. A resolution is just that. It has no real affect at all other than to let the senators vent.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:54:17 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 02:55:00 pm »

Yes and no. Any resolution, resulting in a bill that is passed in the Senate, would still need to go through the House, where it does not have the same support. It’s doubtful there would even be a vote on it there. Besides, you may get enough bipartisan support in the Senate for a resolution, but not the subsequent bill, due to disagreement over details. Anything that would have to be signed may not even make it to the House.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:02:16 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.