Author Topic: Some uncanny facts about canned foods  (Read 541 times)

rangerrebew

Some uncanny facts about canned foods
« on: December 05, 2018, 04:00:37 pm »

Some uncanny facts about canned foods
December 5, 2018 by Len Canter, Healthday Reporter

(HealthDay)—With so much emphasis on fresh, farm-to-table foods, it's easy to overlook the value of canned items. These are convenient, often cheaper alternatives to fresh and frozen.

Use these tips to help you choose wisely.

When shopping, look for cans in good shape. Don't buy—or keep—cans that are dented, rusted or swollen. Cans have a packing code for tracking them through interstate commerce, but these numbers have nothing to do with their freshness. Look for a "best if used by" date for peak quality.

Canned foods are safe indefinitely as long as they're not exposed to either freezing temperatures or temperatures above 90 degrees. But foods with high acidity, like tomatoes and fruits, taste best if eaten within 12 to 18 months.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-12-uncanny-facts-canned-foods.html

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Some uncanny facts about canned foods
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 05:07:24 pm »
I have eaten canned goods as much as five years past the date on the can with no ill effects.
I must note these were stored in ideal conditions, out of direct sunlight at roughly 68 degrees year-round.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Re: Some uncanny facts about canned foods
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 09:46:07 pm »
I have eaten canned goods as much as five years past the date on the can with no ill effects.
I must note these were stored in ideal conditions, out of direct sunlight at roughly 68 degrees year-round.

That's right - And home canned in glass jars, maybe even longer.