Author Topic: Ben Sasse to DOJ Head: You Need to Investigate Your Agency For 'Potential Misconduct,' Letting Child  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Ben Sasse to DOJ Head: You Need to Investigate Your Agency For 'Potential Misconduct,' Letting Child Rapist Walk Free

Beth Baumann 

Posted: Dec 04, 2018 11:35 PM

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-NE) sent a letter on Monday to Department of Justice Inspector General asking for an investigation into a plea agreement the DOJ entered into with child rapist Jeffrey Epstein.

Sasse's letters comes on the heals of a Miami Herald piece about a hedge fund manager turned rapist. According to the Herald, Epstein paid $200 to $300 to 103 young girls in order for them to give him a massage. It quickly turned sexual and rumors swirled around the local high school.

The ordeal began in 2001 and went on for years. Epstein was accused of forcing the minors to give him a massage which "led to masturbation, oral sex, intercourse and other sex acts, police and court records show."

Although they had more than enough evidence in 2007 to prosecute Epstein, prosecutors struck a deal with him, the Miami Herald reported..............

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbaumann/2018/12/04/ben-sasse-to-doj-head-you-need-to-investigate-your-agency-for-letting-a-child-ra-n2537011

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

No issues of import in Nebraska that the Senator from Nebraska is now involving himself in a matters from another state?

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Congress is presumed to have oversight over the Justice Department among other federal agencies. It's not untoward at all for a sitting Senator who is also the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee Oversight, Agency Action, Federal Rights, and Federal Courts---to call for accountability regarding any doings or undoings of the Justice Department.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Sasse (Hahvahd PhD) ought to give his story to a "journalist that can spell "heels," not "heals."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Sasse (Hahvahd PhD) ought to give his story to a "journalist that can spell "heels," not "heals."
The good news is that said journalist didn't spell it "heils."

Besides, it's not so much that he gave the reporter the story; she probably got it either by way of checking the Senate Judiciary Committee, or when receiving a packet of public information from the Senate, as you can do if you happen to be on a mailing list as reporters are.

I know, because in my years as a regional print and radio journalist in upstate New York and northern California I was on such mailing lists with state legislatures and appropriate representatives in Congress and received similar communications on a regular basis. One I remember very well was upstate New York Rep. Benjamin Gilman sending newspapers and radio stations in his district weekly tapes on which he outlined whatever it was he'd been doing or undoing on Crapola Hill every week; it was generally up to the reporters to decide whether it was genuine news or just Gilman blowing his tuba, and about 95 percent of the time it was the tuba, alas. But if Gilman had been on a subcommittee whose responsibilities included similar oversight involving a similar deal between someone from Justice and a known rapist, I'd have been all over that, too---even if I do know the difference between heels, heals, and heils.  wink777
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 06:10:16 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Chosen Daughter

No issues of import in Nebraska that the Senator from Nebraska is now involving himself in a matters from another state?

Federal Crime Franky

Domestic Sex Trafficking of Minors

The United States not only faces a problem of foreign victims trafficked into the country, but there is also a homegrown problem of American children being recruited and exploited for commercial sex.  Under federal law, a child does not need to cross international or even state borders to be considered a victim of commercial sexual exploitation, and unfortunately, American children are falling victim to this crime within the United States.
            Pimps and traffickers sexually exploit children through street prostitution, and in adult night clubs, illegal brothels, sex parties, motel rooms, hotel rooms, and other locations throughout the United States. Many recovered American victims are street children, a population of runaway or throwaway youth who often come from low income families, and may suffer from physical abuse, sexual abuse and family abandonment issues. This population is seen as an easy target by pimps because the children are generally vulnerable, without dependable guardians, and suffer from low self-esteem. Victims of the prostitution of children, however, come from all backgrounds in terms of class, race, and geography (i.e. urban, suburban, and rural settings).
           Often in domestic sex trafficking situations, pimps will make the child victim feel dependent on prostitution for life necessities and survival. For example, a pimp will lure a child with food, clothes, attention, friendship, love, and a seemingly safe place to stay.  After cultivating a relationship with a child and engendering a false sense of trust, the pimp will begin engaging the child in prostitution. It is also common for pimps to isolate victims by moving them far away from friends and family, altering their physical appearances, or continuously moving victims to new locations. In many cases, victims become so hardened by the environment in which they must learn to survive that they are incapable of leaving the situation on their own.

Child Victims of Prostitution

The term prostitution can delude or confuse one’s understanding of this form of child sexual exploitation. It is important to emphasize that the children involved are victims. Pimps and traffickers manipulate children by using physical, emotional, and psychological abuse to keep them trapped in a life of prostitution. It is not uncommon for traffickers to beat, rape, or torture their victims. Some traffickers also use drugs and alcohol to control them.
            Technological advances, in particular the Internet, have facilitated the commercial sexual exploitation of children by providing a convenient worldwide marketing channel. Individuals can now use websites to advertise, schedule, and purchase sexual encounters with minors.  The Internet and web-enabled cell phones also allow pimps and traffickers to reach a larger clientele base than in the past, which may expose victims to greater risks and dangers.
           In addition, many child victims suffer from physical ailments, including tuberculosis, infections, drug addition, malnutrition, and physical injuries resulting from violence inflicted upon them.  Venereal diseases also run rampant. Children may also suffer from short–term and long–term psychological effects such as depression, low self-esteem, and feelings of hopelessness.

CEOS’s Role

CEOS attorneys work with the High Technology Investigative Unit (HTIU), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), United States Attorney´s Offices around the country, and other state and local parties to investigate and prosecute cases arising under federal statutes prohibiting the prostitution of children. CEOS works to not only punish and jail offenders, but to protect the rights and welfare of the children involved.
           In addition, CEOS maintains a coordinated, national-level law enforcement focus, and helps coordinates nationwide and international investigations and initiatives. CEOS attorneys travel all over the country to conduct trainings for investigators, law enforcement personnel and others involved in efforts to eradicate this crime. Moreover, CEOS designs, implements, and supports law enforcement strategies, legislative proposals, and policy initiatives relating to federal laws prohibiting the prostitution of children.

https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ceos/child-sex-trafficking
And:

Citizen's Guide To U.S. Federal Law On The Prostitution Of Children

https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ceos/citizens-guide-us-federal-law-prostitution-children
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

I would expect the President of the United States of America to find Sex trafficking and prostitution a repulsive crime.  I would also expect his support in a Federal investigation to find the cause of this injustice to the victims of Jeffrey Epstein and any others who were involved in child prostitution.  According to the law and stated on the DOJ website.

Offline Frank Cannon

I would expect the President of the United States of America to find Sex trafficking and prostitution a repulsive crime.  I would also expect his support in a Federal investigation to find the cause of this injustice to the victims of Jeffrey Epstein and any others who were involved in child prostitution.  According to the law and stated on the DOJ website.

I would expect the President of the United States to find sex trafficking and prostitution repulsive too but we would be wrong. George W Bush did not. You may not like the results, but George W Bush's Justice Dept cut a shitty deal 12 years ago and there isn't anything anyone is going to do about it. You may want to write George W Bush a letter on the matter but George W Bush is busy in DC on some sort of junket this week.

Offline Chosen Daughter

I would expect the President of the United States to find sex trafficking and prostitution repulsive too but we would be wrong. George W Bush did not. You may not like the results, but George W Bush's Justice Dept cut a shitty deal 12 years ago and there isn't anything anyone is going to do about it. You may want to write George W Bush a letter on the matter but George W Bush is busy in DC on some sort of junket this week.

Federal prosecutors, including Acosta, not only broke the law, the women contend in court documents, but they conspired with Epstein and his lawyers to circumvent public scrutiny and deceive his victims in violation of the Crime Victims’ Rights Act. The law assigns victims a series of rights, including the right of notice of any court proceedings and the opportunity to appear at sentencing.

One lawsuit, still pending in New York, alleges that Epstein used an international modeling agency to recruit girls as young as 13 from Europe, Ecuador and Brazil. The girls lived in a New York building owned by Epstein, who paid for their visas, according to the sworn statement of Maritza Vasquez, the one-time bookkeeper for Mc2, the modeling agency.

Mike Fisten, a former Miami-Dade police sergeant who was also a homicide investigator and a member of the FBI Organized Crime Task Force, said the FBI had enough evidence to put Epstein away for a long time but was overruled by Acosta. Some of the agents involved in the case were disappointed by Acosta’s bowing to pressure from Epstein’s lawyers, he said.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article220097825.html#storylink=cpy

They may or may not be able to put Epstein in prison but they sure can investigate Acosta and his deals.

Offline Frank Cannon

They may or may not be able to put Epstein in prison but they sure can investigate Acosta and his deals.

I agree. We need to find out why George W Bush directed his Justice Dept to take such a plea in a high profile case like this. It seems criminal to me that George W Bush and Alberto Gonzales tried to cover up misdeeds like this. I know you are going to say it is because George W Bush and George HW Bush had an irrationally close relationship with Bill Clinton, but I can't believe George W Bush would tank a prosecution to bail out a long long time pal.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Frank Cannon

It's Nebraska in December. There is nothing to do there but count snowflakes and watch animals freeze and thaw.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I agree. We need to find out why George W Bush directed his Justice Dept to take such a plea in a high profile case like this. It seems criminal to me that George W Bush and Alberto Gonzales tried to cover up misdeeds like this. I know you are going to say it is because George W Bush and George HW Bush had an irrationally close relationship with Bill Clinton, but I can't believe George W Bush would tank a prosecution to bail out a long long time pal.

@Frank Cannon

Don't forget all the rumors of Poppy liking teen boys. If Epstein was the one furnishing them to him,Poppy was in no position to prosecute  him to the fullest extent of the law.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Time wounds all heels.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

The reason this decade-old action is relevant is because one of the key figures in it is/was in the running to replace Sessions as Attorney General.  Alexander Acosta, who is currently Secretary of Labor, was the U.S. Attorney in Miami when that plea agreement went down.  There were stories about him being in the running to replace Sessions as AG.  Then this story came out, and it was announced he was no longer in the running.

For those reasons, I think it is a perfectly legitimate inquiry for Grassley to make.

Offline Chosen Daughter

The reason this decade-old action is relevant is because one of the key figures in it is/was in the running to replace Sessions as Attorney General.  Alexander Acosta, who is currently Secretary of Labor, was the U.S. Attorney in Miami when that plea agreement went down.  There were stories about him being in the running to replace Sessions as AG.  Then this story came out, and it was announced he was no longer in the running.

For those reasons, I think it is a perfectly legitimate inquiry for Grassley to make.

I think it is also.  The DOJ and Acosta need to be investigated.  I would think that this deal could be overturned.  I have to wonder is there any crime too big and slimey that they won't excuse if you are rich or connected?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Chosen Daughter 

A serious investigation of what happened with Epstein is not likely, because one of the trails from it would lead to a Clinton.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Congress is presumed to have oversight over the Justice Department among other federal agencies. It's not untoward at all for a sitting Senator who is also the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee Oversight, Agency Action, Federal Rights, and Federal Courts---to call for accountability regarding any doings or undoings of the Justice Department.

Not a fan of Sasse, but he is right in this case.  On the face of it, it seems like a very unsavory deal that should never have been entered into.  It definitely should be investigated and, since Acosta is now a part of the current government, his actions in this matter should be looked into and he should be held accountable. 

Unless the account in the source is horribly wrong, it seems like one of the worst cover-ups and miscarriages of justice ever.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.