Author Topic: A Carbon Tax Wave? 7 States Considering Carbon Pricing to Fight Climate Change  (Read 1729 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Inside Climate News 11/29/2018 By Marianne Lavelle

Democratic election victories raised the odds of climate change policies succeeding, activists and analysts say. A national plan was also just floated in Congress.

At least seven state governments are poised at the brink of putting a price on climate-warming carbon emissions within the next year. Some are considering new carbon taxes or fees. Others are making plans to join regional carbon markets.

The situation runs counter to the instant analysis of the November election, which focused on a defeat for carbon pricing in Washington state and discounted incremental progress across the board.

Overall, the midterm election results increased their odds for success, say activists and analysts who are watching for the next step in a policy realm where proposals have been many but commitments to act have been weak.

Carbon price proponents are encouraged as Democrats expanded their legislative majorities in key states, and supporters of climate action displaced foes. But advocates are still painfully aware of remaining obstacles, and some expect a prolonged campaign.

At the federal level, Congress also faces a new carbon pricing proposal, a bill introduced on Tuesday by a bipartisan group of House members. But in the current political climate—with a president who rejects science and promotes fossil fuels, and a Republican majority in the Senate blocking the path—short term progress may be limited to a select few green-leaning states.

"As more states experiment, we'll get more information, and you expand the market size for cleaner energy that's going to create incentives for more market to sell to," said Marc Hafstead, director of the Carbon Pricing Initiative at Resources for the Future, a think tank focused on environmental economics. "There's a fundamental issue, though, in that the states that are ready to move don't represent a lot of the emissions in the U.S. I think, at the end of the day, federal action is going to be required."

All of the states that are now considering a price on carbon share two common traits.

As Hafstead noted, they have relatively low-carbon economies. Adding the states considering new carbon prices to those that already have some sort of carbon pricing—California with its pathbreaking cap-and-trade regime and the northeastern states via the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI)—all 14 of the nation's least carbon-intensive states will have adopted fossil fuel surcharges of some kind. Together, they would account for 21 percent of U.S. carbon emissions, 34 percent of the U.S. population, and 40 percent of U.S. GDP.

They also face clear, pressing economic and human risks from climate change. On the West Coast, ocean warming and acidification is damaging the fishing industry and wildfires have menaced whole towns on the heels of drought. In the Northeast, storms and coastal flooding are wreaking havoc and raising costs as the seas relentlessly rise.

If More States Act, Congress May Step Up

Economists have long argued that the most effective way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions is to put a price on fossil fuels. It drives innovation across the board, from conservation to new, green technology, and rewards the lowest-cost approach.

Policymakers often call the states laboratories of inventive policy, especially with federal action on the back burner.

"Anything that's working to reduce emissions is helpful when the [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] says we don't have a ton of time," said Mark Reynolds, executive director of the Citizens Climate Lobby, a carbon pricing advocacy group. "But in addition, it's always been our belief that the real potential benefit is that Congress sees that multiple states are acting and business starts saying, 'We can't function under 10 or 20 sets of rules.'"

More: https://insideclimatenews.org/news/28112018/state-carbon-pricing-tax-fee-climate-change-washington-oregon-new-jersey-virginia-hawaii-massachusetts-new-york

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Bipartisan Group of Legislators Announce New Carbon Tax Bill

https://e360.yale.edu/digest/bipartisan-group-of-legislators-announce-new-carbon-tax-bill

A bipartisan group of lawmakers from Florida, Pennsylvania, and Maryland have announced a new bill that would charge fossil fuel companies a fee on each ton of carbon dioxide they emit. The legislation would be the first bipartisan carbon tax legislation introduced in Congress in a decade, The Hill reported.

Under the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act, energy companies would be required to pay $15 for each ton of carbon their products emit, with the price per ton increasing by $10 every year. Sponsors of the bill, which will be introduced this week, say it will reduce U.S. CO2 emissions by one-third in 10 years and 90 percent by 2050 compared to 2015 levels. The carbon tax would also prevent 13,000 pollution-related deaths in the United States annually and would create 2.1 million new jobs by the end of the first decade, proponents say.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Let 'em starve, shivering in the dark. Stupidity should hurt. (In the meantime, 2.1 million people scrounging firewood for sale might clean up some of the fuel load out west...)

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

Its sponsors are Republican Representatives Francis Rooney of Florida and Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania,

Anyone wondering why flushing these PseudoRats down the drain is a good thing, look no further than their willingness to join in on all the damaging shit the real Rats want. 

Offline Smokin Joe

Its sponsors are Republican Representatives Francis Rooney of Florida and Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania,

Anyone wondering why flushing these PseudoRats down the drain is a good thing, look no further than their willingness to join in on all the damaging shit the real Rats want.
A carbon tax in a state that made it on anthracite and natural gas?  9999hair out0000

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

Francis Rooney, originally from Oklahoma, for the FL 19th district which is the Ft. Myers/Naples area.   *****rollingeyes*****

Online libertybele

Bipartisan Group of Legislators Announce New Carbon Tax Bill

https://e360.yale.edu/digest/bipartisan-group-of-legislators-announce-new-carbon-tax-bill

The costs of such projection will be of course passed down to the consumers.  IF this is allowed to happen, our energy consumption will be regulated and we will be taxed on how much electricity we use on top of the cost of the actual electricity. I wouldn't be surprised if they put a device on homes that will shut off power once a home reaches their allotment of energy consumption.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

Francis Rooney, originally from Oklahoma, for the FL 19th district which is the Ft. Myers/Naples area.   *****rollingeyes*****

I see we have the same opinion of that idiot.   888high58888

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The costs of such projection will be of course passed down to the consumers.  IF this is allowed to happen, our energy consumption will be regulated and we will be taxed on how much electricity we use on top of the cost of the actual electricity. I wouldn't be surprised if they put a device on homes that will shut off power once a home reaches their allotment of energy consumption.

If there was any justice in the world, Al Gore would be hit the hardest.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online libertybele

Let 'em starve, shivering in the dark. Stupidity should hurt. (In the meantime, 2.1 million people scrounging firewood for sale might clean up some of the fuel load out west...)

Wasn't there a news report that somewhere they were regulating emissions from charcoal grills??  Cow farts?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

I wouldn't be surprised if they put a device on homes that will shut off power once a home reaches their allotment of energy consumption.

@libertybele

Maybe houses occupied by white people that pay their own bills,but you can bet your ass public housing denizens will get all the heat and AC they want with no penalty because the government would have to penalize themselves.

BTW,anyone remember the HUGE power bill Goober Gore had on his mostly vacant Tn mansion? IIRC,reports were he was using roughly 10x as much electricity than the typical consumer,and he wasn't even there most of the time because he was flying all over the world on private jets to promote his environmental book and movie.

People were saying there were so many lights left burning all the time that you could see the glow from the interstate. Guess somebody told goober the Boogie Man was going to get him,so he left the lights on to scare him away.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Wasn't there a news report that somewhere they were regulating emissions from charcoal grills??  Cow farts?

Yup there are parts of SoCal that have banned grilling with charcoal and the city of Seattle has done the same thing.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
The Carbon tax failed here, but I am sure they will find a way to strap us with it anyway.  That is the way liberals are.  People sent an overwhelming no to this garbage.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

I believe that was California.

I can't live in California anyway, because too much of the stuff I use/work with is "known to cause cancer in California".  :shrug:

I'm safe here...

C S Lewis

Oceander

I can't live in California anyway, because too much of the stuff I use/work with is "known to cause cancer in California".  :shrug:

I'm safe here...

Is there anything left that is not known to the state of California to cause cancer?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Is there anything left that is not known to the state of California to cause cancer?

Illegal Immigration.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Oceander

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Illegal Immigration.

I think that counts AS cancer.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Inside Climate News 11/29/2018 By Marianne Lavelle

Democratic election victories raised the odds of climate change policies succeeding, activists and analysts say. A national plan was also just floated in Congress.

At least seven state governments are poised at the brink of putting a price on climate-warming carbon emissions within the next year. Some are considering new carbon taxes or fees. Others are making plans to join regional carbon markets.

This idea is working swimmingly in France right now.........

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

I'm safe here...

The 1"x1/4" basswood strips I ordered on-line came with a notice from the state of California that they might contain chemicals known to cause cancer.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
New Jersey, Virginia, Washington, Oregon, Hawaii.  With current regs already in place in California, NY, Mass, Maryland, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, Delaware and Vermont.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
New Jersey, Virginia, Washington, Oregon, Hawaii.  With current regs already in place in California, NY, Mass, Maryland, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, Delaware and Vermont.

Imagine that, none of the states in flyover country are proposing a carbon tax.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Imagine that, none of the states in flyover country are proposing a carbon tax.

Weird, isn't it?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Hawaii...Hawaii...

Do you impose a tax on a(n) active volcano? Or does it tax you?

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
Madame Pele' said she 'ain't payin'!!