Author Topic: GM to slash jobs and production, cancel some car models  (Read 9196 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: GM to slash jobs and production, cancel some car models
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2018, 01:33:21 am »
I had driven a Chevy all my life before they got so proud of them...they got out of reach financially. Besides that...I'm still miffed about the bailout. Look how that has turned out.

I'm a Chevy guy, and have been all my life - Chevys and Pontiacs, and a rare Olds here and there is all that has ever been in my driveway. That changed.

In pickups, I won't buy anything newer than 85, because all of them suck. Not just the chevys- All of them.

Somewhere around the early 90's the car emission standards got stupid, and the cars got smaller and smaller, and more underpowered... So anyone who has a family naturally had to go to Tahoes and Suburbans - You should see our big house at a family gathering - not a car one... Other than the odd Subaru.

But that REALLY wrecked trucks. They're all about butt-warmers and cup-holders, and independent suspension for a nice ride. Trucks are an 'experience' now. Not trucks.

Try finding a straight axle front end that will take a snow plow. Heck its hard to even find a long bed anymore. Everything is short-box 4 doors. Ever tried to get a load of hay onto a short-box?
It's just effing ridiculous.
The motors are under powered (5.3? That's a 327, for Pete's sake)
The trannys can't take a load, and will be junk when they leave, and cost $1500 to replace...
Computerization means they go dead and there's nothing for it - Try having that happen 50 miles up in the sticks...

Cars have become golf carts
Trucks have become cars.
And there ain't a dang thing left that will actually do work, and is designed to be rebuilt indefinitely.
I'll just stick to the square-bodies.

Oceander

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2018, 03:05:34 am »
I always had you pegged as a Citation owner.

Now that strikes to close to home!  My mom had a Citation at one point when I was a kid when we first returned back to the States.  She was lucky to get rid of it just before the tranny fell out. 

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2018, 03:40:52 am »
No. It was probably a yellow column shift Esprit with a 301 that he had Earl Scheib pant it black and bought the chicken stickers over the counter.

lol....  If I'd been poor, and it drew chicks I'd done it as an alternative.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2018, 03:54:29 am »
lol....  If I'd been poor, and it drew chicks I'd done it as an alternative.

@Frank Cannon Told you he had the 301 Turbo.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2018, 03:58:09 am »

@Frank Cannon
@RoosGirl

Frank was probably a Pinto guy who held his breath at every stop light in fear of a rear end. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2018, 04:00:19 am »
@Frank Cannon
@RoosGirl

Frank was probably a Pinto guy who held his breath at every stop light in fear of a rear end.

Frank is freakishly right about car stuff, so on the rare occasion I get one right I like to rub his nose in it. 

PS  If I'm wrong about your Bird kindly PM, don't say it on open forum.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2018, 04:00:44 am »

Wow. He had a whopping 200 HP pumping out. A 76 Grand Safari Wagon had the same horsepower.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2018, 04:02:01 am »
@Frank Cannon
@RoosGirl

Up until the LT1 and Northstar were introduced, I never drove anything less than a Big Block.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2018, 04:02:06 am »
Wow. He had a whopping 200 HP pumping out. A 76 Grand Safari Wagon had the same horsepower.

Yeah, but weighs at least a ton more than the Bird.  And of course there's no cool factor to it.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2018, 04:06:27 am »
Yeah, but weighs at least a ton more than the Bird.  And of course there's no cool factor to it.

Yup. Sadly there is no cool factor for an F Body of any variety, but B Body wagons are timeless.

Sorry...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 04:15:31 am by Frank Cannon »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2018, 03:40:23 pm »

The motors are under powered (5.3? That's a 327, for Pete's sake)

My 2016 4x4 has the 5.3,and it will FLY. 300 + HP and a fat torque curve. They have the electronics worked out now,and the engines are in a perfect state of tune at every RPM range. They also have a 6 speed auto-overdrive that looks suspisciously like the 6 speed Allision in my GMC turbo diesel,and transmissions don't get any tougher than that.

I get 19.5 MPG in stop and go daily driving short trips,with speeds from 25 to 65 MPH. Have gotten right at 22 MPH on interstate trips at 70-75 MPH,and this is with 3:73 gears.

The trannys can't take a load, and will be junk when they leave, and cost $1500 to replace...

Well,you have to admit,that is a GM tradition,along with trim pieces falling off at random,doors sagging,and rusting out.

My 2016 has an aluminum frame,so rust isn't that much of a problem,and like I wrote above,the trans appears to be an Allison design,although to keep things traditional there is always a chance GM junked it down for traditional GM buyers.

Computerization means they go dead and there's nothing for it - Try having that happen 50 miles up in the sticks...

That's true,but it happens far less often now than it used to,and if your truck is under warranty a dealer will drop off a loaner for you to drive when he comes to pick up your dead one for repairs.

And there ain't a dang thing left that will actually do work, and is designed to be rebuilt indefinitely.

You obviously have no experience with a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel pu.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2018, 04:44:34 pm »
My 2016 4x4 has the 5.3,and it will FLY. 300 + HP and a fat torque curve. They have the electronics worked out now,and the engines are in a perfect state of tune at every RPM range. They also have a 6 speed auto-overdrive that looks suspisciously like the 6 speed Allision in my GMC turbo diesel,and transmissions don't get any tougher than that.

@sneakypete
It likely is an Allison - but by far and away, Chevys come with an 4L60, which is a piece of crap, or an 4L80, which is not quite as much a piece of crap.

I get 19.5 MPG in stop and go daily driving short trips,with speeds from 25 to 65 MPH. Have gotten right at 22 MPH on interstate trips at 70-75 MPH,and this is with 3:73 gears.

My last truck was a 78 Chevy 3/4T  4x4, upgraded to a 383 stroker, with a 5spd for OD, and I took out the stock 4:55 gears for - I don't remember whether 3:90 or 3:73... Still carbureted, but an Edelbrock... And I got similar mileage... Though somewhat dependent upon the weight of my right foot... Mostly, if you upgrade to overdrive, put in road gears,  and put on a decent carb and tuned headers with fat dual exhaust,  you are in the ballpark... with an advantage of stick and hubs, which are rare anymore... To be fair, that was when it was still on the ground... when it was up on '44s and had a 427, it was not nearly as kind with fuel, but it served a different purpose.

Well,you have to admit,that is a GM tradition,along with trim pieces falling off at random,doors sagging,and rusting out.

Nope. The Muncie 465 and NP 205 are a hard combo to beat for sheer durability. That 465 has a bit of a problem bending shifting forks, but is a cheap and easy fix, when it happens.

Less enamored of the Turbo 350 and 400, but they could be kitted to make them far more durable than stock - An aftermarket cooler and inline 1qt filter adds a TON of extended life. Likewise the earlier 700R4. My favorite transmission is probably still a Turbo 350, rigged to motorhome specs, overlaid with a decent B&M kit (to include shift kit). It ain't as good as a stick, but it goes a long, long time.

As to the tin - meh. It takes about a weekend to roll one body off and put on another, and a tight body on a 2wd with no engine or trans, is under 500 bucks. And repair panels are dirt cheap anyway... Where you get caught is in the painting... And being a painter, that ain't a problem.

That's true,but it happens far less often now than it used to,and if your truck is under warranty a dealer will drop off a loaner for you to drive when he comes to pick up your dead one for repairs.

Who cares after a 50 mile walk out? But, as a matter of full disclosure, I have never in my life owned a new truck, and I never will. It is the principle of the thing. As a rule for everything, I find it busted, buy it cheap, and fix it. Redneck 101.

You obviously have no experience with a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel pu.

I have owned exactly TWO half tons in my life. I have been in a 3/4T heavy 4x4 most of my life. Hell, I lived out of em for all intensive porpoises. 1Ts are more rare, but I have had them too.

Diesels rarer still, but I did wedge a Cummins 12 valve into a 83 1T 4x4 cowboy cadillac, for hauling a big horse trailer overland. Diesels are great if you have the money - I tend to avoid them because when they go wrong, they cost a mint... And I can build 3 porkers for the cost of 1 diesel, and fix em way cheaper. yeah, they may suck more gas, but that evens out on repairs. But by and large, a slightly overbuilt flat-top tree-fitty and trailer brakes seems to be the sweet spot.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 04:45:07 pm by roamer_1 »