Author Topic: GM to slash jobs and production, cancel some car models  (Read 9211 times)

Offline kevindavis007

GM to slash jobs and production, cancel some car models
« on: November 26, 2018, 05:29:33 pm »

DETROIT/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - General Motors Co said on Monday it will cut production of slow-selling models and slash its North American workforce in the face of a stagnant market for traditional gas-powered sedans, shifting more investment to electric and autonomous vehicles.

The announcement is the biggest restructuring in North America for the U.S. No. 1 carmaker since its bankruptcy a decade ago. Its shares rallied 7.6 percent to $38.66.

GM plans to halt production next year at three assembly plants - Lordstown, Ohio, Hamtramck, Michigan, and Oshawa, Ontario. The company also plans to stop building several models now assembled at those plants, including the Chevrolet Cruze, the Cadillac CT6 and the Buick LaCrosse. The Cruze compact car will be discontinued in the U.S. market in 2019.

Plants in Baltimore, Maryland, and Warren, Michigan that assemble powertrain components will have no products assigned to them after 2019 and thus are at risk of closure, the company said. It will also close two factories outside North America, but did not identify them.

Read More: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gm-restructuring/gm-to-cut-car-production-in-north-america-halt-some-models-source-idUSKCN1NV1NB
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline dfwgator

Re: GM to slash jobs and production, cancel some car models
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 05:34:19 pm »
Looks like Michael Moore has his next documentary...."Mary and Me."

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 05:38:12 pm »
GM workers at Canadian plant walk off in protest after company announces cuts
https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/418251-canadian-workers-walk-off-in-protest-after-gm-announces-cuts
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 11:11:30 pm »
GM workers at Canadian plant walk off in protest after company announces cuts
https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/418251-canadian-workers-walk-off-in-protest-after-gm-announces-cuts
Kinda dumb it seems to leave earlier than needed.

Oh well, these are Canadians.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 07:45:59 am »
GM is just doing this to make Trump look bad.  What was that about all those manufacturing jobs coming back to the US?

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 08:44:45 am »
GM part II, another failure. They kept trying to sell cars (Cruse) no one wanted under the Obama bailout, now want to sell the buyers on technology (hybrid) no one wants. They’ll never learn.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 08:59:27 am »
GM part II, another failure. They kept trying to sell cars (Cruse) no one wanted under the Obama bailout, now want to sell the buyers on technology (hybrid) no one wants. They’ll never learn.

Well, at least according to another report I read, the Volt will also be gone.

GM insists buyers aren't interested in the traditional gas guzzlers.  Perhaps that's because the prices on those cars have become prohibitive.  But most car owners I know would rather have the traditional tried and true models like the Impala (which I hear will also be discontinued) than these allegedly eco-friendly vehicles. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 01:13:17 pm »
Like this?  Obama's 'car of the future' goes kaput

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/obamas-car-of-the-future-goes-kaput

It should be trumpeted everywhere how many billions of dollars in tax credits and incentives were thrown away due to the failure of government selecting losers.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 01:23:48 pm »
But most car owners I know would rather have the traditional tried and true models like the Impala

That's total bullshit. No one wants an Impala unless they are in the over 80 set. Just look at the numbers on SUV sales. They are through the roof. No one buys Civics. They buy the CRV. No one buys the Impala. They buy the Traverse. Sedans are a waste of time. Even Ford is getting rid of their cars because no one wants them. The only reason Chrysler/Fiat is sticking with cars is because they cut out a boutique market with the Challenger and related hot cars.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 05:42:53 pm »
"We've made all our cars to look exactly the same: rounded rectangles with angry headlights."

"Gee, why does nobody want to buy our ugly cars??? Must be everyone wants SUV's."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 05:57:13 pm »
That's total bullshit. No one wants an Impala unless they are in the over 80 set. Just look at the numbers on SUV sales. They are through the roof. No one buys Civics. They buy the CRV. No one buys the Impala. They buy the Traverse. Sedans are a waste of time. Even Ford is getting rid of their cars because no one wants them. The only reason Chrysler/Fiat is sticking with cars is because they cut out a boutique market with the Challenger and related hot cars.

I think people buy SUVs because they are a bit roomier than those little boxes the automakers pass off as cars today.  Ever since the car companies got into the save the planet con game, cars got smaller and smaller. I don't know about you, but I like a vehicle I don't feel squashed in. These days SVUs are the only alternative to those "sedans."

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 05:57:20 pm »
After the crap GM pulled in collusion with the Obama administration, I don't care if they go bankrupt tomorrow.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 06:20:09 pm »
Common sense argues that the various GM models, fail to compete well with other brands.

For instance, the Volt and Bolt, have competition from Toyota, Nissan, Ford, VW, Hyundai, Kia, BMW, Mercedes and others.

GM you will remember, is the company that dropped the Camaro/Firebird with an immidiate replacement.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 07:23:06 pm »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 11:20:27 pm »

Not sure I understand how this works; two years into this administration, GM is still receiving subsidies from the gov't?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 11:23:26 pm »
Not sure I understand how this works; two years into this administration, GM is still receiving subsidies from the gov't?

It's the stupid electric car welfare program.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 11:25:39 pm »
It's the stupid electric car welfare program.

The part I don't understand is 2 years into a republican everything and this nonsense is still going on.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 12:39:36 am »
The part I don't understand is 2 years into a republican everything and this nonsense is still going on.

A lot of people who ran as republicans in order to get elected aren't one bit republican in their political philosophy.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 12:45:55 am »
A lot of people who ran as republicans in order to get elected aren't one bit republican in their political philosophy.

And a lot of people who ran as republicans in order to get elected are one bit republican in their political philosophy.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 01:04:09 am »
And a lot of people who ran as republicans in order to get elected are one bit republican in their political philosophy.

And a lot of people who ran as republicans in order to get elected aint one bit republican in their political philosophy.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 01:32:06 am »
I think people buy SUVs because they are a bit roomier than those little boxes the automakers pass off as cars today.  Ever since the car companies got into the save the planet con game, cars got smaller and smaller. I don't know about you, but I like a vehicle I don't feel squashed in. These days SVUs are the only alternative to those "sedans."

I need room to carry 150 pound dog.  Water bowl and at least a gallon of water.  Also his "dog bag".  I also need room to carry a router, a couple of small switches, a toolbox, patch cables, spare network interface cards (ethernet and wireless), spare video cards, several sizes of HD enclosures, a sampling of USB cables,  several spare keyboards, spare mice, a couple POE wireless extenders, my laptop and tablet, an emergency monitor.  You get the idea.   A little box car doesn't do it.   
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 01:39:36 am »
I need room to carry 150 pound dog.  Water bowl and at least a gallon of water.  Also his "dog bag".  I also need room to carry a router, a couple of small switches, a toolbox, patch cables, spare network interface cards (ethernet and wireless), spare video cards, several sizes of HD enclosures, a sampling of USB cables,  several spare keyboards, spare mice, a couple POE wireless extenders, my laptop and tablet, an emergency monitor.  You get the idea.   A little box car doesn't do it.   

With all that stuff your vehicle must me this.....

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 02:36:07 am »
With all that stuff your vehicle must me this.....

Neatly stored in zip top bags by category....but I wouldn't mind having that truck!
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online berdie

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 02:37:20 am »
GM (and Ford) are pricing themselves out of the market. I drive a truck and have for many years,  I can see out of them better and the resale is better.  Plus sometimes I need to haul stuff.

I needed a new truck about 4 years ago. I was appalled at the prices from Ford and GM. I have NEVER bought foreign...but I bought a Honda Ridgeline. Great truck. Comfortable. Much cheaper that Ford and GM.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 03:04:28 am »
GM (and Ford) are pricing themselves out of the market. I drive a truck and have for many years,  I can see out of them better and the resale is better.  Plus sometimes I need to haul stuff.

I needed a new truck about 4 years ago. I was appalled at the prices from Ford and GM. I have NEVER bought foreign...but I bought a Honda Ridgeline. Great truck. Comfortable. Much cheaper that Ford and GM.
And Honda vehicles hold their resale value a whole lot longer than America’s big three. My only complaint with Honda is they discontinued any decent vehicle that could be towed flat behind an RV.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy