Author Topic: How to Know if You’re a Fool  (Read 5891 times)

Oceander

Re: How to Know if You’re a Fool
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2018, 10:52:29 pm »
No, you added a false premise.  Pascal didn't.  But, as I say, you prove Pascal's point by doing so.

No, I didn’t.  The false premise in Pascal’s argument is that there is only one religion. 

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2018, 10:53:22 pm »
Pascal's point is not predicated on a particular religion.
I respectfully disagree. Pascal was a Christian with a wholly Christian point of view. I doubt very much that he had Jews or Muslims in mind when he was contemplating religion. In fact, I'm not sure he was thinking about Christianity in a real, fundamental way. He was just hedging his bet. He was just play the cards of the world around him as he knew them.

It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I would rather be a religious Christian and be wrong, than I would be an atheist and be wrong. Good bet. It's not really a very religious point of view but it makes perfect sense to a pragmatist.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2018, 10:59:09 pm »
No, it’s predicated on there being only one religion, whatever that religion might be.

Where does it say that? 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2018, 11:01:21 pm »
I respectfully disagree. Pascal was a Christian with a wholly Christian point of view. I doubt very much that he had Jews or Muslims in mind when he was contemplating religion. In fact, I'm not sure he was thinking about Christianity in a real, fundamental way. He was just hedging his bet. He was just play the cards of the world around him as he knew them.

It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I would rather be a religious Christian and be wrong, than I would be an atheist and be wrong. Good bet. It's not really a very religious point of view but it makes perfect sense to a pragmatist.

This article in no way mentions Christianity, it mentions God.  And I would argue that if a Muslim didn't know who Pascal was they could still apply his "bet" to their own religious life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2018, 11:04:15 pm »
This article in no way mentions Christianity, it mentions God.  And I would argue that if a Muslim didn't know who Pascal was they could still apply his "bet" to their own religious life.

Yeah, I'm baffled by that argument.  Just not getting it, @240B.

Oceander

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2018, 11:05:28 pm »
Where does it say that? 

It is inherent in the logic.  One is presented with a binary choice:  to believe in God or to not believe in God, and the relative risks of each position are then explored, and risk-weighted for the worst-case scenario.  The upshot of which is, that it only makes sense to believe in God - even if that belief turns out to be false because God does not exist - because the risks of being wrong are so much greater if you choose to not believe in God. 

That’s great, so far as it goes, but it breaks down when confronted with two separate theologies, each of which is comprehensive, each of which requires complete dedication, and each of which necessarily forecloses adherence to the other.  It breaks down because it cannot give any further guidance on which theology to follow; it can only recommend that you follow both, but that is simply not possible.

Oceander

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2018, 11:07:39 pm »

If true, that requires belief in the proposition that the god of Islam is the same as the god of Christianity, and that following either religion is as good as following the other.  In other words, it requires acceptance of the proposition that Islam and Christianity are the same thing. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2018, 11:08:11 pm »
It is inherent in the logic.  One is presented with a binary choice:  to believe in God or to not believe in God, and the relative risks of each position are then explored, and risk-weighted for the worst-case scenario.  The upshot of which is, that it only makes sense to believe in God - even if that belief turns out to be false because God does not exist - because the risks of being wrong are so much greater if you choose to not believe in God. 

That’s great, so far as it goes, but it breaks down when confronted with two separate theologies, each of which is comprehensive, each of which requires complete dedication, and each of which necessarily forecloses adherence to the other.  It breaks down because it cannot give any further guidance on which theology to follow; it can only recommend that you follow both, but that is simply not possible.

Where does it say to follow both?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2018, 11:08:44 pm »
If true, that requires belief in the proposition that the god of Islam is the same as the god of Christianity, and that following either religion is as good as following the other.  In other words, it requires acceptance of the proposition that Islam and Christianity are the same thing.

You are confusing "following" with "learning/seeking".

Oceander

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2018, 11:12:00 pm »
Where does it say to follow both?

Because it cannot distinguish between either one.  It says to seek god.  Well, which god?  The God of Christianity, or the God of Islam.  Or are the two one and the same?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2018, 11:14:44 pm »
Because it cannot distinguish between either one.  It says to seek god.  Well, which god?  The God of Christianity, or the God of Islam.  Or are the two one and the same?

It says to seek enlightenment.  That's the part where *you* decide which God based on your learning and understanding of what you've learned.  And as you learn more you opinion on which is correct may change.

Oceander

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2018, 11:15:37 pm »
You are confusing "following" with "learning/seeking".

No, I’m not.  If i seek for God within the Catholic Church, does that not require that I adhere to all the tenets of its faith, and that I practice what it preaches?  It can I seek God on a part-time basis?  On the other hand, if I seek God in the mosque, does that not require that I adhere to all of the tenets of Islam, that I practice what is preached? 

How do I simultaneously seek God in the Roman Catholic Church and the Sunni Mosque, for example?  If i throw in a Jewish temple, things become even more complex. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2018, 11:16:26 pm »
No, I’m not.  If i seek for God within the Catholic Church, does that not require that I adhere to all the tenets of its faith, and that I practice what it preaches?  It can I seek God on a part-time basis?  On the other hand, if I seek God in the mosque, does that not require that I adhere to all of the tenets of Islam, that I practice what is preached? 

How do I simultaneously seek God in the Roman Catholic Church and the Sunni Mosque, for example?  If i throw in a Jewish temple, things become even more complex.

You understand that there is a difference between seeking and finding, right?

Oceander

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2018, 11:16:57 pm »
It says to seek enlightenment.  That's the part where *you* decide which God based on your learning and understanding of what you've learned.  And as you learn more you opinion on which is correct may change.

Which presupposes the existence of precisely the thing that the wager was supposed to supplement: knowledge of God. 

Oceander

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2018, 11:17:45 pm »
You understand that there is a difference between seeking and finding, right?

Duh.  You do realize that seeking involves more than merely gazing at your navel. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2018, 11:18:27 pm »
Duh.  You do realize that seeking involves more than merely gazing at your navel.

Depends what you're seeking, now doesn't it?

Oceander

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2018, 11:22:48 pm »
Depends what you're seeking, now doesn't it?

I suppose so; but if God is Christian, or Muslim, you won’t find him in your belly-button. 

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2018, 11:27:23 pm »
Some people will argue about anything just to show people they are a fool.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2018, 11:29:44 pm »

The weakness of Pascal's generally impressive argument is that although it piques intellectual curiosity in a potentially useful way in evangelism, the person who is made only mildly curious or only mildly unsettled by Pascal's discussion is still doomed if he overlooks Pascal's pivotal warning:  you'd better seek the God Whom you do not know until you find Him, until you actually know Him.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:30:53 pm by the_doc »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2018, 11:39:46 pm »

That is the stupidest most ridiculous thing you have ever said. You're a fool. Your Daddy was a fool...fool!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2018, 11:44:02 pm »

888high58888

Offline Absalom

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2018, 06:19:41 am »
---------------------------------------------
Ghost, on the mark.
Not only a fool but an incorrigible windbag!!!
Pascal argued his wager in these ten brief words:
"Belief is a wise wager, so wager that He exists."
Being a clairvoyant, Pascal also had wisdom for Trump!
"If you wish people to think well of you; do not speak well of yourself."

Online roamer_1

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2018, 08:05:28 am »
If I seek God through one avenue, I cannot simultaneously seek god through the other, can I? 

Yes, you can... I did.

Ergo, I must choose one of the other.  Which one to choose? 

Eventually true, but not off the get-go... with a proper criteria, many pretenders fall away pretty quickly.

Fairly soon, one will arrive at a choice between one true god, or a pantheon which has been repeated all over the world... Because that is in fact the truth of it. THEN comes the decision, which to serve.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:39:35 am by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2018, 08:33:18 am »

You have relatively few choices in that. Begin with the premise that the two books are diametrically opposed (which they are, but since you are unfamiliar, you must take my word, for the sake of the argument).

Given that you have examined the books sufficiently to give them the benefit of the doubt that they might indeed represent god(s), logic would have it, if you have winnowed the field down till there are no others, considering the two books are diametrically opposed, that:

1. They do not represent the same god at all, and there are two gods to choose from.
2. they represent the same god, but then one or the other book is not true, and you have two books to choose from.
3 neither represents god, and you must keep seeking.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:34:50 am by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2018, 08:46:25 am »

That is not even beginning to begin... there are many contenders. MANY.

But the main point is that no, you do not need to be a devotee of any - throw them all on the fire.

Kick the tires. Examine the criteria. there is no demand for commitment.