Author Topic: Why Most of America Is Terrible at Making Biscuits  (Read 30343 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Why Most of America Is Terrible at Making Biscuits
« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2018, 02:05:35 pm »
If you scoop it, don’t roll it, like Jason Roy of Biscuit Head recommends, then there ain’t any scraps to throw away. Make them all Catheads. Big and small.

For soft and fluffy biscuits, blend the liquid and dry ingredients just until the dough "resembles cottage cheese," Sonoskus says. This stops you from activating too much gluten in the flour and ending up with a tougher biscuit that doesn't rise as high. But even if you mix too much, don't worry. "Denser biscuits have their place—they're better for making sandwiches," he rationalizes.

Gently shape biscuits with an ice cream scoop instead of a biscuit cutter. That's what Roy does to make Biscuit Head's oversized cathead biscuits, so-called because they're as big as a cat's noggin. Whether you make them big or small, it's an incredibly easy and foolproof technique. Don't have a spring-loaded scoop? Use a measuring cup and a silicone spatula.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2018, 02:21:52 pm »
Now, do you really?

Depends on how much of it there is.  I'll let the kids eat a little bit of it raw.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2018, 03:20:52 pm »
I'm sorry your MIL had another stroke, unless you don't like her and then I'm not sorry, but I think it's a little far fetched to accuse me of making her have a stroke by posting a simple biscuit recipe.

@RoosGirl

Noooo, no.  Not what I meant.  I was trying to avoid the whole biscuit thing because hubby is diabetic, on a diet and has a serious weakness for bicuits!! 

I like my MIL.  She lived with us for 14 years.  I am afraid her days on this earth are few.

I halved the recipe and the biscuits were beautiful.   Hubby ate all but one.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2018, 07:23:01 pm »
@RoosGirl

Noooo, no.  Not what I meant.  I was trying to avoid the whole biscuit thing because hubby is diabetic, on a diet and has a serious weakness for bicuits!! 

I like my MIL.  She lived with us for 14 years.  I am afraid her days on this earth are few.

I halved the recipe and the biscuits were beautiful.   Hubby ate all but one.

Just teasing you, lady.  Hey, if you make another batch, freeze a couple of them and then cook them later and tell me how they come out.  I'd like to make some ahead of time, but not if they're not going to be good.   :laugh:

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2018, 07:38:14 pm »
Just teasing you, lady.  Hey, if you make another batch, freeze a couple of them and then cook them later and tell me how they come out.  I'd like to make some ahead of time, but not if they're not going to be good.   :laugh:

My mom and both grandmothers made the best buttermilk biscuits, and they didn't measure anything.

My grandmother would make large batches and freeze them.  Every night my grandfather would take out enough for breakfast, thaw them overnight, and pop them in the oven the next morning.  She also had a regular orders from friends for the frozen, uncooked biscuits and sent the money to a missionary.  So you should be fine with freezing the raw biscuits to cook later.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2018, 09:57:46 pm »
I made another 1/4 batch and froze them.  Cooked them up today and they're just as nice as fresh dough.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2018, 10:10:52 pm »
I made another 1/4 batch and froze them.  Cooked them up today and they're just as nice as fresh dough.

:thumbsup:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2018, 10:14:30 pm »

Did you thaw them first or put them in the oven frozen?

Offline corbe

« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2018, 10:20:27 pm »
   Too lazy to make biscuit's just buy them at my Local Grocery (HEB), they're GREAT!

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2018, 10:36:15 pm »

Did you mix up a 1/4 batch of dough and then freeze it one big lump? Or did you roll out and cut the biscuits,  freeze them on a cookie sheet, and then after frozen, bag them up?

Cook them frozen? That's what I do with the frozen biscuits I get from Sam's.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2018, 10:36:50 pm »
Did you thaw them first or put them in the oven frozen?

Straight in to hot oven.  Same temp, took an additional 12 minutes.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2018, 10:39:08 pm »
Did you mix up a 1/4 batch of dough and then freeze it one big lump? Or did you roll out and cut the biscuits,  freeze them on a cookie sheet, and then after frozen, bag them up?

Cook them frozen? That's what I do with the frozen biscuits I get from Sam's.

I should have been clearer.  I cut the biscuits and froze them on a cookie sheet and then bagged them.  Cooked them from frozen in the 400* oven.  Took an additional 12 minutes for me.

I also placed them so all 5 were touching each other and they rose up nice and high.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2018, 10:43:52 pm »
   Too lazy to make biscuit's just buy them at my Local Grocery (HEB), they're GREAT!

I've never seen that brand before, but you canNOT use cheddar garlic biscuits with sausage gravy.  I've used this brand before and they're pretty good.  Probably good enough to not go through the hassle of rolling and cutting biscuits, but I just felt like making them this year.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2018, 11:39:24 pm »
I've eaten a ton of these:

Not as good as homemade, but quick and easy.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2018, 12:04:33 am »

I hate to confess it, but half of my diet after my divorce was Pilsbury Grand biscuits poured over with Dinty Moore stew...

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2018, 12:16:02 am »
I hate to confess it, but half of my diet after my divorce was Pilsbury Grand biscuits poured over with Dinty Moore stew...

Oh, you poor man!

Offline corbe

« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2018, 12:27:09 am »

Whoever dies with the most toys wins is what my dad always told me, after my last Divorce I was consumed by Ho's and Coke (80's), I probably won't outlive you @roamer_1 to collect my Toys, oh well, it was fun.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:28:19 am by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2018, 12:36:40 am »
Oh, you poor man!

Don't you know it... Though actually an improvement - My ex was often an awful cook - Not attentive to the work.

As for Dinty Moore... not too bad if you can get past the dog food smell when you crack the can. I still have that combination once in a while... Just to remind myself of where I came from.

I make scratch stew now, and it is marvelous... Still can't do those flaky biscuits - Yeast and me don't yet get along - But I will put my breakfast biscuits or sourdough biscuits up against anybody's and do alright.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2018, 12:39:23 am »

I liked the frozen Grands because I could make just a couple without popping a whole container of the refrigerator biscuits.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2018, 12:44:41 am »

Whoever dies with the most toys wins is what my dad always told me, after my last Divorce I was consumed by Ho's and Coke (80's), I probably won't outlive you @roamer_1 to collect my Toys, oh well, it was fun.

Well @corbe , I had my own time back in the 80's... Not a lot of coke (too expensive for me), but good enough I can't remember about a decade... Thankfully I pulled out of it...

And it depends upon the toys... I am a rich man... As Don Williams put it, "I've got silver in the stars, gold in the morning sun."  If I have a fishin pole, and a place to use it, that will be fine living and plenty enough.

Offline corbe

« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2018, 12:49:34 am »
   I too, now find the greatest joy in the simplest of things @roamer_1 I am so blessed to have lived long enough to realize that.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2018, 12:56:39 am »
   I too, now find the greatest joy in the simplest of things @roamer_1 I am so blessed to have lived long enough to realize that.

That's right. Took me half my life to come back around to what I knew was good in my childhood  :shrug:
 :beer:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2018, 01:04:57 am »
I liked the frozen Grands because I could make just a couple without popping a whole container of the refrigerator biscuits.

I didn't even know they come frozen!
That's right about the refrigerator kind... I can't stand toob dough - Ain't no way to keep it. Still using it though... Till I get a good pizza dough worked out, and I can make flaky biscuits... and croissants... What is life without pigs in a blanket?

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2018, 01:50:47 am »
Grandma taught me how to make some kick ass biscuits and gravy!

Has anyone asked you to post that?  Especially the gravy?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2018, 02:04:07 am »
Has anyone asked you to post that?  Especially the gravy?

I would post one for you, but you have me on ignore so would never see it.  Sausage gravy and biscuits has been our traditional Christmas morning breakfast for longer than I've been alive.