Author Topic: Why Most of America Is Terrible at Making Biscuits  (Read 30335 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Why Most of America Is Terrible at Making Biscuits
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2018, 07:03:16 pm »
My brother nixed expanding his pizza & sub business out of Western New York and into the Washington, DC region because of the PH quality of the local water.

He claims there's no way to duplicate the pizza crust using DC water.   :shrug:

I'm wondering if it affects the biscuits too!   :laugh:

LOL  That sounds like a bunch of nonsense. 

Buffalo pH = 7.7
DC pH = 7.63

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2018, 07:07:58 pm »

Buffalo pH = 7.7
DC pH = 7.63

DC's blood C2H5OH = 100%

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2018, 07:13:00 pm »
I make outstanding biscuits. Really, really fabulous biscuits. Now I have to read the rest of this thread and find out what I'm doing right.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2018, 07:13:12 pm »

Buffalo pH = 7.7
DC pH = 7.63

There's a pizza place in downtown Tampa that supposedly imports water from NYC(!) because they couldn't get the crust the way they wanted it with local water.

I do rather doubt that it's a question of pH, since I'm reasonable sure that's something you can adjust.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2018, 07:15:05 pm »
There's a pizza place in downtown Tampa that supposedly imports water from NYC(!) because they couldn't get the crust the way they wanted it with local water.

I do rather doubt that it's a question of pH, since I'm reasonable sure that's something you can adjust.

I have no doubt that it tastes different.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2018, 07:15:49 pm »
I make outstanding biscuits. Really, really fabulous biscuits. Now I have to read the rest of this thread and find out what I'm doing right.

You're either using the right flour -or- you're importing your water from New York.   :laugh:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2018, 07:28:44 pm »
You're either using the right flour -or- you're importing your water from New York.   :laugh:

I'll bet she uses Catsup, only she spells it the correct way, "Ketchup."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline the_doc

« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2018, 07:36:03 pm »
I'll bet she uses Catsup, only she spells it the correct way, "Ketchup."

Actually, I don't believe they should be regarded as two different spellings of the same word.  As I understand it, when enough people began mispronouncing catsup, a related but completely new word came into being--i.e., became officially recognized.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2018, 07:59:55 pm »
Actually, I don't believe they should be regarded as two different spellings of the same word.  As I understand it, when enough people began mispronouncing catsup, a related but completely new word came into being--i.e., became officially recognized.

Language evolves. If something in language is so obscure that almost nobody knows about it then it's not actually a rule.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2018, 08:03:07 pm »
I think good biscuits are a thing of rich, white male privilege and should be made available to the oppressed for free.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2018, 08:37:28 pm »
Catsup and ketchup are two different, but related, things.  I think it has something to do with the percent water content, but I could be rememberi g that wrong.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2018, 08:41:06 pm »
Catsup and ketchup are two different, but related, things.  I think it has something to do with the percent water content, but I could be rememberi g that wrong.

WTF? That is the biggest load of horseshit I have ever seen someone shovel on this forum.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2018, 08:46:22 pm »
WTF? That is the biggest load of horseshit I have ever seen someone shovel on this forum.

Listen here, I read about this in the same book where I learned about the first pecan grove in Georgia.  Take it up with the author, but it seemed very well resewrched to me.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2018, 08:49:41 pm »
Listen here, I read about this in the same book where I learned about the first pecan grove in Georgia.  Take it up with the author, but it seemed very well resewrched to me.

Did the article also go into how "color" and "colour" are two different things because on has more shades or something like that?

Offline the_doc

« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2018, 08:50:20 pm »
Language evolves. If something in language is so obscure that almost nobody knows about it then it's not actually a rule.

Right.  A huge number of new words have been officially recognized in mainstream dictionaries in my lifetime.  The tallies are actually stunning.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2018, 08:51:35 pm »

Buffalo pH = 7.7
DC pH = 7.63

"Quality" and "Levels" are two different words, @RoosGirl

I don't think it's so much alkaline vs acidic, but rather the hard mineral content.

Anyways, Buffalo is the junk food capital of the Western World.  Buffalo pizza is like no other.

http://bocceclubpizza.com/

And the birth of "Chicken Wings"     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_Bar

I've wondered why Ted's a local family chain of hotdog burger shakes didn't expand.  The Founder retired to Arizona  After months of idleness, he opened a location there in his 'new' State.

http://www.tedshotdogs.com/
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2018, 08:58:27 pm »
"Quality" and "Levels" are two different words, @RoosGirl

I don't think it's so much alkaline vs acidic, but rather the hard mineral content.

Anyways, Buffalo is the junk food capital of the Western World.  Buffalo pizza is like no other.

http://bocceclubpizza.com/

And the birth of "Chicken Wings"     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_Bar

I've wondered why Ted's a local family chain of hotdog burger shakes didn't expand.  The Founder retired to Arizona  After months of idleness, he opened a location there in his 'new' State.

http://www.tedshotdogs.com/

It's the minerals in the water, and it's also the strain of yeast that likes to grow in NYC.  San Francisco sourdough is popular because the yeast is one of a kind there.

Added:  Ted's Hot Dogs have had the AZ location since I first moved here in 1980.  Been there a few times, they are good dogs.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:00:36 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2018, 09:02:19 pm »
It's the minerals in the water, and it's also the strain of yeast that likes to grow in NYC.  San Francisco sourdough is popular because the yeast is one of a kind there.

Remember though....Buffalo is an 8 hr drive from NYC.  It's on the shores of Lake Erie.

I've had NYC pizza in a few of the Boroughs.  Still can't touch Buffalo's.   

But you may be right about the yeast or the humidity which affects it.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2018, 09:05:05 pm »

Added:  Ted's Hot Dogs have had the AZ location since I first moved here in 1980.  Been there a few times, they are good dogs.

Yep!  Sahlen's brand.   Wegman's sells them.   Smokehouse hotdogs....NOT 'wieners'   (they sell both)  http://www.facebook.com/sahlens/

@Cyber Liberty   

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2018, 09:06:38 pm »
Anybody that can figure out how to bring the Ted's Hot Dog concept to D.C. will become a Gazillionaire.   

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2018, 09:24:30 pm »
My secret's out!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2018, 09:46:57 pm »

https://writingexplained.org/catsup-vs-ketchup-difference
What is the Difference Between Catsup and Ketchup?

Catsup and Ketchup are two different spellings of the same condiment, which, today, is a Westernized version of a condiment first introduced to European traders in the late 17th century.

During their time trading in the Far East, British sailors of the 1600s developed a taste for the delicious treat we now call ketchup and began exporting it to the West.

The word itself is thought to come from the Cantonese k’ē chap or the Malay kēhap, both of which refer to a kind of fish sauce. Ketchup was originally a paste made from fermented fish guts (yes, it’s come a long way).

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2018, 09:49:58 pm »
I have two uses for Catsup:  Fries and Bologna sammiches.

Only for Fries. I fry my Bologna for sammiches and use mustard.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2018, 09:51:59 pm »
Only for Fries. I fry my Bologna for sammiches and use mustard.

I do the frying and mustard with my Spam, with extra-sharp Cheddar.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2018, 09:57:34 pm »
My aunts down in TN and AL could make some amazing biscuits. My aunt Margie made ones my grandpa called 'cat head' biscuits because they were as big 'as a tom cat's head.'
The Republic is lost.