16 (61.5%)
No
4 (15.4%)
HELL no!
5 (19.2%)
Other
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Should prostitution be legal?  (Read 20209 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Should prostitution be legal?
« on: November 21, 2018, 04:27:49 am »
I find it weird that it's illegal for a woman to get paid for sex unless there's a camera recording and it's uploaded to the internet for money. Should two adults be able to engage in this behavior? I think if it were legalized it would be easier to ensure the safety of both parties. It'd also create more tax revenue. Also people are just going to do it anyway. How many police resources get wasted on stopping people from paying for sex? It seems ridiculous to me. When you try to force people to not do this all you're doing is increasing crime. Let's stop funding the black market with bad laws.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 12:31:39 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Should prostitution be legal?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 04:39:29 am »
Yes. I am always looking for new cash revenue streams....

Fo Shizzle!

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 11:22:57 am »
Assuming that, as a matter of theory, it should be legal because consenting adults should generally be left to run their own lives as they please, it is possible to prevent women (or men, for that matter) who don’t wish to engage in the business from being forced into it?  And is blanket prohibition simply the only way to prevent legalizing sex slavery. 

Offline Dexter

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 12:26:54 pm »
Assuming that, as a matter of theory, it should be legal because consenting adults should generally be left to run their own lives as they please, it is possible to prevent women (or men, for that matter) who don’t wish to engage in the business from being forced into it?  And is blanket prohibition simply the only way to prevent legalizing sex slavery.

I think sex slavery would be diminished with legalization because legal businesses would take an enormous chunk out of overall sex traffic. That makes the whole process a lot harder for sex slavers because they have a lot less funds and most people will be looking for a legal business rather that some sketchy illegal sex trafficker. Also legalization would lead to regulations to ensure the girls don't have STDs and to make sure they're not being forced to make the choice to be a sex worker; there'd be regular checkups and verification for these things.

Legal prostitution would reduce the spread of STDs. Nothing good is happening as a result of us trying to prevent this practice. I can't think of a single element of this that won't improve with legalization.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 12:30:58 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 12:32:36 pm »
I think sex slavery would be diminished with legalization because legal businesses would take an enormous chunk out of overall sex traffic. That makes the whole process a lot harder for them because they have a lot less funds and most people will be looking for a legal business rather that some sketchy pimp. Also legalization would lead to regulations to ensure the girls don't have STDs; there'd be regular checkups and verification.

Legal prostitution would reduce the spread of STDs. Nothing good is happening as a result of us trying to prevent this practice. I can't think of a single element of this that won't improve with legalization.

Legalization also makes it a lot easier to run a sex slave ring out in the open. Do you really think most customers are going to check first to make sure the girl is really there of her own free will, and will question her carefully to make sure she’s not just lying because of threats of violence from the pimp or madam?  If not the customers, then who?   Will we have a massive force of sex inspectors going to every place where sex might conceivably be sold to check that each and every purveyor is really selling herself or himself voluntarily?  At that point, making it illegal may simply be the most cost-effective solution; that is, not without its own costs, but still less costly than the alternative. 

Offline Dexter

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 12:36:21 pm »
Do you really think most customers are going to check first to make sure the girl is really there of her own free will, and will question her carefully to make sure she’s not just lying because of threats of violence from the pimp or madam?  If not the customers, then who?

The government can do that and it can be paid for with the taxes generated. Even more jobs. You could tax the shit out of that industry and it would still be profitable. Other countries have clearly demonstrated that this can be done well. Also I don't see how sex slavery doesn't become much less common with legalization. It pulls a giant chunk of it out of the black market. The whole situation becomes a lot less dangerous when it becomes legal. That's true for pretty much any service or product that people want.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 12:45:26 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 01:04:09 pm »
The government can do that and it can be paid for with the taxes generated. Even more jobs. You could tax the shit out of that industry and it would still be profitable. Other countries have clearly demonstrated that this can be done well. Also I don't see how sex slavery doesn't become much less common with legalization. It pulls a giant chunk of it out of the black market. The whole situation becomes a lot less dangerous when it becomes legal. That's true for pretty much any service or product that people want.

Legalizing prostitution makes it easier to run sex slavery, not harder, because the business now has the blessing of the government. 

And taxing the shit out of it doesn’t make it better; taxing it at the same level at which cigarettes are taxed, for example, would simply encourage even more illegal behavior. 

You really seem to have wasted that six years in college.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 01:06:38 pm »

If you tax it, you're still going to have "black market" prostitution which then defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 02:43:07 pm »
Pimpin ain't easy.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 09:03:28 pm »
you're still going to have "black market" prostitution

Not nearly as much.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 09:06:15 pm »
Legalizing prostitution makes it easier to run sex slavery, not harder, because the business now has the blessing of the government. 

And taxing the shit out of it doesn’t make it better; taxing it at the same level at which cigarettes are taxed, for example, would simply encourage even more illegal behavior. 

You really seem to have wasted that six years in college.

The situation overall would be better if it was legal and taxed.
-Socrates

Online Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 09:11:57 pm »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 09:24:12 pm »

The situation overall would be better if it was legal and taxed.

That is a conclusion desperately seeking facts to support it.  Maybe find some support that takes the additional costs into account as well as the starry-eyed benefits. 

Offline Dexter

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 09:35:24 pm »
That is a conclusion desperately seeking facts to support it.  Maybe find some support that takes the additional costs into account as well as the starry-eyed benefits.

There sure seems to be a lot of conservatives that aren’t liberty minded at all.
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 09:44:22 pm »
How about simply "de-criminalize" it with no taxes or regulation?

IOW if I want to date a gal, enjoy a walk, then a meal, and sex later, why can't I simply pay an agreed fee?

Same for a movie,, a day at the zoo, or just a roll in the hay so to speak? My place or hers.

Taxing and regulation are not needed, in my reckoning.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Dexter

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 09:46:37 pm »
How about simply "de-criminalize" it with no taxes or regulation?

IOW if I want to date a gal, enjoy a walk, then a meal, and sex later, why can't I simply pay an agreed fee?

Same for a movie,, a day at the zoo, or just a roll in the hay so to speak? My place or hers.

Taxing and regulation are not needed, in my reckoning.

You don’t snatch that business from the black market unless you let people start businesses. I want our economy to take giant bites out of black market cash flow.
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 10:01:48 pm »
What needs to happen is that the johns get penalized for their crime, and investigations take place to find out if the prostitutes are sex slaves with heavy penalties and jail time for the slave owners/pimps.

As long as prostitutes are punished and johns go free, there will be great injustice in the system.   Many of them are enslaved by their pimps and forced into prostitution.  I know that there has been progress lately in calling the pimps to account as well as those who solicit their 'services' but much progress needs to take place.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 10:02:52 pm »
There sure seems to be a lot of conservatives that aren’t liberty minded at all.

Slavery isn't liberty.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 10:05:11 pm »

Giving the government’s imprimatur to an enterprise that enslaves young vulnerable women for your sexual gratification is not the sort of liberty interest that should be advocated for by those who actually care about liberty and freedom.

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 10:06:02 pm »
You don’t snatch that business from the black market unless you let people start businesses. I want our economy to take giant bites out of black market cash flow.

Uh, the black market is, by definition, already part of the economy. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 10:07:53 pm »
Oh..this is a nice Thanksgiving thread and poll.... :facepalm:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Dexter

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 10:09:15 pm »
Slavery isn't liberty.

I think the overall situation would be better if we did it like I said. We’d reduce crime and free up police resources. Bad things would still happen sometimes but it would be a lot easier to mitigate those problems if it wasn’t all in the black market. Consenting adults shouldn’t be punished for monetizing sex.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 10:10:18 pm »
Uh, the black market is, by definition, already part of the economy.

You are being pedantic. You know what I mean.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 10:13:07 pm »
Giving the government’s imprimatur to an enterprise that enslaves young vulnerable women for your sexual gratification is not the sort of liberty interest that should be advocated for by those who actually care about liberty and freedom.

If you actually want less sex slavery you should support my way. Do you really think the situation would get worse compared to now when everything is handled by pimps and traffickers? Yikes...
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2018, 10:16:30 pm »
Oh..this is a nice Thanksgiving thread and poll.... :facepalm:

I didn’t mean to ruin the holiday Myst.

Thank you for being so tolerant of me even though I make it difficult sometimes. <3
-Socrates