Author Topic: Trump talks about thinning forests as he arrives in Paradise, tours Camp Fire devastation  (Read 900 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
President Donald Trump landed in Northern California Saturday to tour the damage wrought by the state’s worst-ever wildfire, pressing his argument that the state’s forests must be managed more aggressively to prevent future disasters.

Trump stepped off Air Force One at Beale Air Force Base near Marysville, where he was greeted by Gov. Jerry Brown and Gov.-elect Gavin Newsom. They helicoptered to Chico, where hundreds of residents gathered to watch, many of them wearing masks to protect them from the smoky air.

â€œWe have to do management, maintenance,” said Trump, wearing a dark windbreaker and a camouflage-style “USA” ball cap. “We’ll also be working with environmental groups. I think everybody’s seen the light.”. The visit came nearly a week after Trump infuriated California leaders and firefighters by blaming them for the damage in what has since become the deadliest and most destructive wildfire in state history. At least 71 are confirmed dead and nearly 10,000 homes have been destroyed by the Camp Fire. More than 1,000 people are still reported missing.

“There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor,” Trump tweeted last Saturday. “Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!”

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article221810050.html
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
This is a huge issue.  The Indians did a better job of forest management than we've done under the influence of nutty environmentalist wackos.

How many more homes and forest animals and people are we willing to sacrifice before we wake up and take action.

Offline skeeter

Trump didn't 'attack firefighters' in his previous tweet. He criticized politicians and bureaucrats for poor forest management.

Obviously lying on every damn news piece having anything to do with Trump is basic rat practice now.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Trump is correct about this topic, which has been debated for years, across the West.

By the way, Jerry Brown vetoed a bill passed unanimously in the CA Senate, which mandates the electric company to better prioritize repairs to equipment, lest they start raging forest fires.

John Morlach is the guy.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Trump didn't 'attack firefighters' in his previous tweet. He criticized politicians and bureaucrats for poor forest management.

Obviously lying on every damn news piece having anything to do with Trump is basic rat practice now.

Yes.  Blame Trump is their only game.

I totally admire Trump for bringing this up now.  It's been a horrible year for forest fires.  Some bad ones near my son's home in Colorado and now this devastating one in California.

And it can be prevented.  As they always say, we can go to the moon but we can't figure out forest management.  Well, apparently we can't go to the moon anymore but it's a good point.

Remember people chaining themselves to trees.  It will take a lot of effort to make the forests relatively fireproof but will only cost a fraction of what just one California fire has cost.

Trump seems to be the only person brave enough to emphasize this issue.  Why?  Because he is also smart enough to see the problem and daring enough to bring it up.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Some guy from California called Larry Elder and said that's exactly what they used to do, cut down the older drid-out trees and would even let the people go out there and cut all the wood they wanted. Maybe you needed a permit to do that, I don't remember all of what he said

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
President Donald Trump, after surveying the destruction wrought by wildfires in California, said Saturday that the devastation has not altered his opinion on climate change.

"No, no, I have a strong opinion. I want a great climate," Trump said when asked whether what he witnessed had changed his view.

https://www.wktv.com/content/national/500767102.html

! No longer available

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

The fires are a disaster, and I applaud President Trump for visiting with Govs Brown and Newsom, and reviewing the damage.  I also agree with Trump that government environmental regulations are more to blame for the fires than climate change.  After 20 years of hearing climate change/global warming causes every problem under the sun...I'm numb to the charge.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The fires are a disaster, and I applaud President Trump for visiting with Govs Brown and Newsom, and reviewing the damage.  I also agree with Trump that government environmental regulations are more to blame for the fires than climate change.  After 20 years of hearing climate change/global warming causes every problem under the sun...I'm numb to the charge.

Amazed and pleased, @Once-Ler   There's something about having a President who hasn't spent his whole life steeped in politics.  He can be more of an original thinker.  Right now he is thinking about taking another look at the 'three strikes' thing which can result in a person ending up with a life sentence for shoplifting.

Those nutcases who want to save the spotted caterpillar have caused the loss of unknown numbers of deer, elk, bunnies, squirrels and all varieties of forest critters.

Offline edpc

There's something about having a President who hasn't spent his whole life steeped in politics.  He can be more of an original thinker.

He’s something, all right. Most people would be embarrassed to have so many contradictory statements out there on the record. However, that would require some humility.

Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump

Who is paying for that tedious Smokey Bear commercial that is on all the time - enough already!

12:50 AM - Jan 8, 2015

https://heavy.com/news/2018/11/trump-smokey-bear-tedious-cnn/

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

He’s something, all right. Most people would be embarrassed to have so many contradictory statements out there on the record. However, that would require some humility.

Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump

Who is paying for that tedious Smokey Bear commercial that is on all the time - enough already!

12:50 AM - Jan 8, 2015

https://heavy.com/news/2018/11/trump-smokey-bear-tedious-cnn/

We know what you think @edpc   It is just so embarrassing to have a President like Trump.  I don't know how you stand it.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Hey, Ed.  Was just reminded that this is the anniversary of the Gettysburg address in 1863.  Reminded me so much of Trump.

Offline edpc

We know what you think @edpc   It is just so embarrassing to have a President like Trump.  I don't know how you stand it.

About the same way I tolerate your endless vacuous comments. It’s just reality, now.

Offline corbe

We need to invest in MORE rakes.

"You've got to take care of the floors. You know the floors of the forests, it's very important," Trump told reporters as he posed with California officials in the charred ruins of Paradise - his first stop on the tour.

Trump went on to explain that the president of Finland, whom he met on an overseas trip a week earlier, told him about raking the forest floors. "He called it a forest nation," Trump said, "and they spent a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things, and they don't have any problem."

Finnish President Sauli Niinisto later disputed this. He told a local newspaper that he had briefed Trump on Finland's efforts to surveil and care for its forests, the Associated Press wrote, "but said he can't recall anything being mentioned on raking."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-trump-california-fire-comments-20181118-story.html
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
This is a huge issue.  The Indians did a better job of forest management than we've done under the influence of nutty environmentalist wackos.

How many more homes and forest animals and people are we willing to sacrifice before we wake up and take action.
I believe the Indians idea of forest management was to move away when it burned, to a part of the forest that wasn't on fire.

Offline edpc

Make
America
Rake
Again

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I believe the Indians idea of forest management was to move away when it burned, to a part of the forest that wasn't on fire.

Cute, but not true.

"Before Europeans settled in California, Native American fire practices, including periodic low-intensity fires, helped renew forests and kept them from becoming too dense. "

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Make
America
Rake
Again

Very funny ... especially to the almost a hundred people who died in the recent California fire, not to mention all those who were left homeless.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

About the same way I tolerate your endless vacuous comments. It’s just reality, now.

Reality bites, doesn't it, Ed.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

"You've got to take care of the floors. You know the floors of the forests, it's very important," Trump told reporters as he posed with California officials in the charred ruins of Paradise - his first stop on the tour.

Trump went on to explain that the president of Finland, whom he met on an overseas trip a week earlier, told him about raking the forest floors. "He called it a forest nation," Trump said, "and they spent a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things, and they don't have any problem."

Finnish President Sauli Niinisto later disputed this. He told a local newspaper that he had briefed Trump on Finland's efforts to surveil and care for its forests, the Associated Press wrote, "but said he can't recall anything being mentioned on raking."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-trump-california-fire-comments-20181118-story.html

Sorry, my friend @corbe but this is not a laughing matter.  I admire President Trump even more for making this an issue ... one that was mostly ignored by all previous presidents.

Offline edpc

Very funny ... especially to the almost a hundred people who died in the recent California fire, not to mention all those who were left homeless.

Well, maybe we should follow your brilliant idea and let the Indians manage the forest.     *****rollingeyes*****

Offline corbe

And all this time I thought the Indians set fire to the prairies to move the buffalo to slaughter.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
   And all this time I thought the Indians set fire to the prairies to move the buffalo to slaughter.

The Indians were not noble savages but they did manage forest fires better than we have in the years since the wacko environmentalists gained power.