Author Topic: Over 1,500 caravan migrants arrive at US border after over a month on the road  (Read 303 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Journal 11/15/2018

The full caravan – some 5,500 migrants in all – was expected to continue arriving in Tijuana in the coming hours.

THE CENTRAL AMERICAN migrant caravan trekking toward the US converged on the US-Mexican border today after more than a month on the road, undeterred by US president Donald Trump’s deployment of thousands of American troops near the border.

Around 800 migrants riding on 22 buses arrived at dawn in Tijuana, which is located across from San Diego, California, and walked from the highway into the city in massive waves of people, their belongings on their backs.

They joined more than 750 other caravan members who had travelled ahead and reached the city in recent days.

The full caravan – some 5,500 migrants in all – was expected to continue arriving in Tijuana in the coming hours thanks to buses organised by charities, private donors and local authorities, with the last groups reaching the city by Friday.

Across the border, nearly 6,000 troops deployed by Trump have been busy erecting concrete barriers and razor-wire fences to deter what the US president has described as an “invasion”.

“I feel better now that we’ve reached the border. Tired, but better. I’ve been on the road for a month, traveling with my four daughters,” Honduran migrant Miriam Fernandez, 32, told AFP.

More: https://www.thejournal.ie/caravan-migrants-arrive-us-border-4342734-Nov2018/