Author Topic: 'Get out': some Mexico border residents reject migrant arrivals  (Read 841 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
'Get out': some Mexico border residents reject migrant arrivals
« on: November 15, 2018, 07:26:36 pm »
TIJUANA, Mexico (Reuters) - Demonized by U.S. President Donald Trump and exhausted after a harrowing journey, members of Central American migrant caravans now face a new threat: open hostility from some Mexicans on the U.S. border.
A small group of residents of an upscale neighborhood in the Mexican border of Tijuana confronted caravan migrants late on Wednesday, throwing stones and telling them to go back to their home countries.

“Get out of here,” a group of around 20 people shouted at a camp of Hondurans near the border. “We want you to return to your country. You are not welcome.”

Migrants shouted back, in a confrontation that belied Tijuana’s reputation as a free-wheeling, tolerant city and lasted into the early hours of Thursday. Dozens of police arrived at the scene.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-caravan/get-out-some-mexico-border-residents-reject-migrant-arrivals-idUSKCN1NK2D8
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Violence breaks out at border as migrant caravan arrives in already crowded Tijuana, Mexico

REBECCA PLEVIN | PALM SPRINGS DESERT SUN | 1 hour ago

Hundreds of people who arrived in Tijuana with the first wave of the migrant caravan planned to spend Wednesday night in a makeshift camp by the Pacific Ocean, steps from the tall border fence that separates Mexico and the United States. But those plans shifted in the evening, after local and state officials opened a temporary shelter – and about 300 local residents gathered by the encampment to demand the migrants leave the upscale Playas de Tijuana neighborhood and go to the facility.

During a confrontation that lasted more than three hours, area residents sang the Mexican national anthem and waved Mexican flags. They chanted “Mexico! Mexico!” each time a bus transporting migrants left the beach for the temporary shelter. Mostly women and children went to the shelters, while young men from the caravan said they were determined to stay together at the beach and await the estimated 2,000 more caravan members on their way to Tijuana.

More at: https://www.bing.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2015599002 

Offline dfwgator

Shocked, just shocked. /s

Offline RoosGirl

Re: 'Get out': some Mexico border residents reject migrant arrivals
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 11:49:07 pm »
I don't know if most people know this, but if you put ticks inside a closed bottle they will eat each other until just one remains.  Just an odd bit of trivia.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 12:04:40 am »
I think perspective is important here. If I was poor and hungry I'd probably try to get here too. Their actions are understandable. The problem is we can't save the world. We have to make tough decisions. However that doesn't mean we need to see them as less than human.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 12:12:49 am »
I think perspective is important here. If I was poor and hungry I'd probably try to get here too. Their actions are understandable. The problem is we can't save the world. We have to make tough decisions. However that doesn't mean we need to see them as less than human.

How liberal of you. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 12:24:31 am »
How liberal of you.

Dehumanizing them is wrong. They're humans, and they're doing what they're doing out of desperation. That doesn't mean we should help them. We can't save the people south of our border. Tough decisions have to be made in the real world. We can at least understand that most of them are not demons, though.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 12:25:24 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 12:25:12 am »

Dexter, we have been sending money and aid to Guatemala and Honduras for decades.  The problem is the culture.  Providing a relief valve is not a solution.  It also imports that culture here.  Maybe you have a solution?

Offline Dexter

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 12:26:57 am »
Dexter, we have been sending money and aid to Guatemala and Honduras for decades.  The problem is the culture.  Providing a relief valve is not a solution.  It also imports that culture here.  Maybe you have a solution?

I don't think we should let them come here. I also don't think we should send them a bunch of money. The idea that we can save everybody is a severe overestimation of our capabilities. We have to focus inward and restrengthen America.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 12:30:35 am »
The real world is sad when you look at it for what it really is. Most of these people are not bad people, but they are poor and they will weaken us. It's also just a fact that extreme poverty pushes otherwise decent people into crime out of desperation. We are more than 21 trillion dollars in debt and we have a large deficit. Logic should win in the end despite how unfair it might seem. We can't help these people.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 12:31:58 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 12:58:41 am »
“We want you to return to your country. You are not welcome.”

You know you are a low life piece of shit when when the filthy Mexicans are telling you to get out because you are lowering property values.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 04:29:32 am »
Many people think of Mexico as a whole poor.  The key thing here is upscale neighborhood.  They have some very nice ones.  Guess they don't need people to mow their lawns.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 05:02:48 am »
! No longer available

Musica from Tijuana, compliments of composer Carlos Santana, played with Gato Barbieri
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln