Author Topic: The First Step Act — the Zombie Bill that Refuses to Die  (Read 272 times)

rangerrebew

The First Step Act — the Zombie Bill that Refuses to Die
« on: November 15, 2018, 05:38:23 pm »
The First Step Act — the Zombie Bill that Refuses to Die

By Dan Cadman on November 15, 2018

This is the third installment of my blog and Backgrounder writings on the First Step Act, a prison-reform bill that has lurched its way out of the House of Representatives and into the Senate despite being deeply flawed and opposed by various law enforcement organizations, and even the Justice Department.

The New York Times is reporting that supporters are hoping to shove it through the lame duck session and onto the president's desk, where he may indeed sign it even though it goes against his claims to be in favor of strict immigration enforcement, particularly against alien criminals.

The bill apparently survives because of behind-the-scenes influence from Jared Kushner, ensuring that it doesn't die the death it's due. I have no opposition to offer with regard to general prison and sentencing reform bills, but as I've remarked in various postings — and as is definitely the case with this bill — too often the authors of such bills do a shockingly poor job of distinguishing between citizens and removable aliens when it comes to certain programs.

https://cis.org/Cadman/First-Step-Act-Zombie-Bill-Refuses-Die
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 05:39:14 pm by rangerrebew »