Author Topic: Why California Republicans lost it all, even in Orange County (Hint: It's not Trump)  (Read 807 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why California Republicans lost it all, even in Orange County (Hint: It's not Trump)
by Shawn Steel
 | November 14, 2018 11:27 PM

California Republicans, long in the wilderness, have now reached the point of desperation.

As of this writing, California Democrats had won every statewide race, a supermajority in both houses of the state legislature, and were on track to pick up as many as seven congressional districts. When all the votes are counted, Orange County — once considered the country’s “Most Republican County” — won’t have a single Republican representative in Washington, D.C.

A convenient narrative has formed: California Republicans are a casualty of President Trump. Yet, the party’s problems have been around longer and run much deeper than any one person. From money to grassroots organization, California Republicans are completely outmatched.

Money: This election, California campaign spending exceeded $1 billion with $287 million spent on California’s congressional campaigns. Overwhelmingly, this massive spending aided Democrats. In California, Democrats have achieved fundraising domination thanks to two billionaires, labor unions, and even the state’s business community bankrolling year-round campaigns.

Nowhere was this more apparent than in California’s 39th Congressional District, which saw $34.5 million in total spending. Republican Young Kim was outspent by a five-to-one ratio in direct contributions. The 48th District wasn’t far behind with Republican Rep. Dana Rohrabacher substantially outspent in a $33 million race. In the 25th Congressional District, Democrat Katie Hill defeated incumbent GOP Rep. Steve Knight with the help of $4.5 million from billionaire Michael Bloomberg’s super PAC. Remember when progressives complained about Citizens United?

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/op-eds/why-california-republicans-lost-it-all-even-in-orange-county-hint-its-not-trump
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

This writer could've summed up the problem with California in a few sentences.

In the last election in my district every tax increase proposal passed, every tax reduction proposal failed. In the one of the highest taxed counties in the highest taxed state in the union.

California contains more users than producers, and users vote 'rat.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The other factor, and the one that will bite us in the butt in 2020 if we're not careful is that incumbents overwhelming win. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Skeeter wrote:
"California contains more users than producers, and users vote 'rat."

If that's what it's coming to out there, then the only realistic solution is for the producers to "go Galt" and get out.

Do you really expect that things in California (and other deep-blue states) will ever be turned around via the ballot box?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I can see why the Dems do it, but why does the GOP look for new leadership in the House from a state that is a failed Republican state?

Is the GOP wanting to make California priorities the country's priorities?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Rohrabacher's disinclination to separate himself from his image as an ally of Vladimir Putin probably damaged him, too.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

OK not all Trump's fault, but he also hasn't improved GOP strength.

Offline Frank Cannon

Rohrabacher's disinclination to separate himself from his image as an ally of Vladimir Putin probably damaged him, too.

It might also be the small matter of him wanting to allow people to not sell their homes to gays, but I may be way off there....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/05/26/refusing-to-sell-homes-to-gay-people-is-okay-gop-congressman-says-realtors-disagree/?utm_term=.63f982652ff8

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
It might also be the small matter of him wanting to allow people to not sell their homes to gays, but I may be way off there....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/05/26/refusing-to-sell-homes-to-gay-people-is-okay-gop-congressman-says-realtors-disagree/?utm_term=.63f982652ff8
I'm sure that had something to do with things, too, but whenever I traveled to Orange County in the past year (my son still lives there) I heard people talk about the Rohrabacher/Putin matter even more vociferously. He'd probably outlived his time, too, and God knows both parties need a lot of fresh blood. (To suck or otherwise, of course . . . )

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Frank Cannon

I'm sure that had something to do with things, too, but whenever I traveled to Orange County in the past year (my son still lives there) I heard people talk about the Rohrabacher/Putin matter even more vociferously. He'd probably outlived his time, too, and God knows both parties need a lot of fresh blood. (To suck or otherwise, of course . . . )

You hear random people on the street talking about Putin? The only time I hear regular people talking about Putin and when they are talking about their golf short game.

Offline DB

This writer could've summed up the problem with California in a few sentences.

In the last election in my district every tax increase proposal passed, every tax reduction proposal failed. In the one of the highest taxed counties in the highest taxed state in the union.

California contains more users than producers, and users vote 'rat.

The only way to avoid paying the bill is to get out of the state. That's the conclusion I came to and moved.

Offline DB

You hear random people on the street talking about Putin? The only time I hear regular people talking about Putin and when they are talking about their golf short game.

You mean Pootie-Poot?

Offline dfwgator

No good people want to even get involved with the GOP.   How can you win if you can't convince people to run?

Offline DB

No good people want to even get involved with the GOP.   How can you win if you can't convince people to run?

That's a very good point. What sane person would want to run to face the Kavanaugh treatment. Look what was done to Cruz, his wife and child during the last presidential election. Good people are destroyed to gain power at any cost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

That's a very good point. What sane person would want to run to face the Kavanaugh treatment. Look what was done to Cruz, his wife and child during the last presidential election. Good people are destroyed to gain power at any cost
All one has to do is look at what Detroit is doing to its native son, Ben Carson.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington