Author Topic: New Jersey couple, homeless man conspired on fraudulent GoFundMe campaign, report says  (Read 864 times)

Offline Applewood

New Jersey couple, homeless man conspired on fraudulent GoFundMe campaign, report says

MOUNT HOLLY, New Jersey — A couple conspired with a homeless man on a story about him offering the last of his money when the woman’s car ran out of gas and then set up a fraudulent GoFundMe account to scam sympathizers, according to a report Wednesday.

According to NBC Philadelphia, a source familiar with the case says Mark D’Amico, his girlfriend, Kate McClure, and Johnny Bobbitt will face charges that include conspiracy and theft by deception.

D’Amico and McClure reportedly have surrendered to Burlington County prosecutors. It’s unknown if Bobbitt plans to surrender.

More at:

https://www.cleveland.com/nation/2018/11/new-jersey-couple-homeless-man-conspired-on-fraudulent-gofundme-campaign-report-says.html

Offline mountaineer

GoFundMe has to be the least legitimate form of asking for contributions.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Biggest reason to steer clear of GoFundMe is it draws a bullseye on you from the IRS.

Even Capone could not endure that one.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
What is the Go found me take on donations. 20-30%?   That is a great scam.  Better than Loan sharking.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
What is the Go found me take on donations. 20-30%?   That is a great scam.  Better than Loan sharking.
It's just the house rake on laundering scams like the Ford payola....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Did you mean Freed? 
@Smokin Joe

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
What is it with people named Bobbitt?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Did you mean Freed? 
@Smokin Joe
Someone 'freed' seven figures for that one....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

What is it with people named Bobbitt?

They always come up short.

Offline thackney

processing fee of 2.9% plus $0.30 per donation

https://www.gofundme.com/questions
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline endicom

The NJ Couple Homeless Man GoFundMe Story Was A Total Scam [VIDEO]
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 07:47:19 pm »
Victory Girls
Nina Bookout
Nov. 15, 2018

Remember the story about the NJ couple who started a GoFundMe campaign for a drug addicted homeless vet in New Jersey? Remember how that story went sideways a few months later when Johnny Bobbitt accused Kate McClure and Mark D’Amico of mismanaging the funds? Well folks, guess what? The entire thing was a total and complete scam.

Initially a lot of folks were sympathetic to Bobbitt after the news came out that McClure and D’Amico had cashed in on the funds for themselves.

Breaking: BMW in driveway being loaded onto truck as investigators execute search warrant at home of couple accused of defrauding homeless man of gofundme donations. pic.twitter.com/sKin8LTu9D

— Katherine Scott (@KScott6abc) September 6, 2018

More... http://victorygirlsblog.com/the-nj-couple-homeless-man-gofundme-story-was-a-total-scam-video/

Offline Suppressed

And they aren't married, so let's see how quickly they turn...
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Applewood

My problem with GoFundMe and sites like it is that there is no way of knowing if the money raised is going to the stated cause.  Heck, I don't even trust a number of supposedly legitimate charities like the Red Cross to use the money raised for its stated purpose. 

After the recent Tree of Life Synagogue shootings, there were reports here locally about criminals using the tragedy to scam people.  After the Las Vegas shootings, I read there was a GoFundMe page for a woman who allegedly survived the shootings.   Had a really big sob story about how she was a cancer patient who was given free tickets to the show to see her favorite artist and now, she needed help with medical bills not ony for her injuries,  but for her cancer treatments too.  It was later learned that this "survivor" did not even exist. 

I would not donate to a GoFundMe page or anything similar unless there was a thorough vetting of whoever started the page and the intended recipient to make sure the cause and the people behind it are legit.  Trouble is, these websites don't really check out the people whp start these pages and OIO;m not sure how they could do it.  I wonder how those who donated money  to this homeless loser and the grifter couple feel now.