Author Topic: Comprehensive UK-BREXIT thread: Live Updates  (Read 1811 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Comprehensive UK-BREXIT thread: Live Updates
« on: November 15, 2018, 12:05:08 pm »
British PM May battles to save Brexit deal as ministers quit
By Elizabeth Piper and Kylie MacLellan and William James 33 mins ago

Britain's Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, Dominic Raab, leaves 10 Downing Street, in London, Britain November 14, 2018.REUTERS/Henry Nicholls© REUTERS/Henry Nicholls Britain's Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, Dominic Raab, leaves 10 Downing Street, in London, Britain

November 14, 2018.REUTERS/Henry Nicholls LONDON, Nov 15 (Reuters) - Prime Minister Theresa May battled on Thursday to save a draft divorce deal with the European Union after her Brexit secretary and other ministers quit in protest at an agreement they say will trap Britain in the bloc's orbit for years.

Just over 12 hours after May announced that her team of top ministers had agreed to the terms of the draft agreement, Brexit minister Dominic Raab and work and pensions minister Esther McVey quit, saying they could not support it.

Their departure, and the resignations of two junior ministers, shakes May's divided government. Raab is the second Brexit secretary to quit over May's plans to leave the EU, the biggest shift in British policy in more than 40 years.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/british-pm-may-suffers-severe-blow-on-brexit-as-ministers-quit/ar-BBPJi3D?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Brexit Hits The Fan - thesun.co.uk

Theresa May on the brink after wave of resignations in protest at her Brexit deal that ‘blackmails the country’
www.thesun.co.uk
THERESA May's job hangs by a thread today as she was hit by a wave of resignations over her Brexit plan.

Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab and Work and Pensions Secretary Esther McVey both quit in protest at the planned withdrawal agreement - along with three more junior figures.

Theresa May speaking in the House of Commons today.

Read more at:
 https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/7744103/dominic-raab-resigns-theresa-may-brexit-deal-protest/

May could be out very quickly and could face a vote of confidence.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:02:31 am by TomSea »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: British PM May battles to save Brexit deal as ministers quit
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 01:57:51 pm »
Looks like the Conservatives picked a loser in May.

Boy they must pine away for the days of Thatcher.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 02:29:19 pm »
I don't know how they did it but the British really mucked this up and good.  Who knew breaking up was so hard to do.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 03:50:32 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 03:33:32 pm »
Bookmark.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 03:38:01 pm »
Looks like the Conservatives picked a loser in May.

Boy they must pine away for the days of Thatcher.

Worst PM, ever.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 04:01:04 pm »
I don't know how they did it but the British really mucked this up and good.  Who knew breaking up was so hard to do.

They just don't write 'em like that anymore.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 04:16:04 pm »
They just don't write 'em like that anymore.

That was a song from the 80s.
@Suppressed

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 04:22:42 pm »
That was a song from the 80s.
@Suppressed

Speaking of songs,  this one seems appropriate...

! No longer available

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 04:53:11 pm »

Offline TomSea

Comprehensive UK-BREXIT thread: Live Updates
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 01:01:53 am »
Okay, we will have a Brexit comprehensive thread and it can always be unstickied if not popular. I do see a lot of articles on it so...they might all go better in one thread.

Speaking of the Kinks, "Down all the days till 1992", when they joined, I guess helped form the EU.  Not from one of their successful albums but it was okay with me.

! No longer available

The Kinks - Down All The Days (To 1992) Lyrics
"Down All The Days (To 1992)"

Down all the days
Though the past is just a blink away,
The future waits for me and you,
Down all the days to 1992

Here is hope for all the people
And generations yet to come,
An the future's bright tomorrow,
Illuminated by the morning sun.
Here's for all the working people
And me the ordinary man
For assembly workers in the factory
For farmers toiling on the land

Down all the days
All nations will unite as one
A new horizon clear to view

So lonely on this island ever since she set me free.
Breaking out of my isolation
Reaching out with hands across the sea
Down all the days, down all the days

Hello my Celt and Gaelic ladies.
Bonsoir my green colleen from Ireland
Wilkommen Deutch and Dutch and Dansk
Gutten tag amour prego ola combien

I'm losing all my bitterness
It's time to find some happiness
Around the earth, the sky, the sea
Down all the days

Bon soir, my little senorita, c'est magnifique
Au revoir, my little fraulfin baby, it's so tragique
Achtung parlez vous Englese, bon appetit
Jawohl, mambo Italiano, ca va, O.K. I'm on my way
Down all the days.

Can we heal the wounds of many wars?
And the battle scars that went before
There's gonna be a celebration in 1992
Somehow we lost communication
But I'll find you girl and come back home to you
Down all the days
There's gonna be a celebration in 1992
Somehow we lost communication
I'll find you girl and come back home to you
Down all the days.
Around the earth, the sky, the sea, down all the days
Around the earth, the sky, the sea, down all the days
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:13:25 am by TomSea »

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Comprehensive UK-BREXIT thread: Live Updates
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 01:06:34 am »
Speaking of Ministers.....

A minister was seated next to a cowboy on a flight to Texas. After the plane was airborne, drink orders were taken.

The cowboy asked for a whiskey and soda, which was brought and placed before him.

Rather predictably, the minister looked upon the cowboy with scorn - he viewed alcohol as being the work of the devil.

Nevertheless, the flight attendant then asked him if he would like a drink.

He replied in disgust, "I'd rather be savagely raped by brazen whores than let liquor touch my lips."

The cowboy then handed his drink back to the attendant and said, "Me too. I didn't know we had a choice."

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 01:16:23 am »
Jacob Rees-Mogg begins COUP against Theresa May with vote of no-confidence over Brexit
Joshua Nevett, Henry Holloway & Lucy Domachowski

Rees-Mogg: What has been achieved by May is NOT Brexit

Rees-Mogg’s powerful cabal the European Research Group (ERG) met today at Parliament in a crunch meeting – also attended by Brexit bigwig Boris Johnson.

Loud banging of tables being heard from outside as the group met to discuss a bid to remove the Prime Minister.

Mrs May has sparked fury from the Tories after she pushed her Brexit deal through Cabinet last night in a marathon session at Number 10.

Read more at: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/politics/742629/theresa-may-brexit-statement-parliament-resignations-latest-news

Offline TomSea

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 03:07:46 am »
Daily Telegraph just posted an editorial on not giving in to those who want a soft-BREXIT or no BREXIT, that article has a paywall, however, here is the American Enterprise Institute (capitalism, right? Not necessarily liberal or conservative from what I know) who seem to be giving the opinion there should be a 2nd referendum. BREXITEERS would absolutely reject this idea.

Maybe there should be a second Brexit referendum - AEI
Dalibor Rohac, @daliborrohac Michael R. Strain @MichaelRStrain

Regardless of our views on Brexit, neither of us have shared the enthusiasm of our British Remainer friends for a second referendum — “People’s Vote.” However, a second referendum seems to be the least bad option on a menu of terrible options.

As we write, the British government is in turmoil over an agreement Mrs. May negotiated with the EU-27 nations. The Brexit secretary, Dominic Raab, has resigned from the cabinet, as has the Work and Pensions secretary, two other ministers, and two parliamentary private secretaries. A leadership challenge against Mrs. May is mounting. The odds of Mrs. May’s Brexit deal making it through the House of Commons do not look good, and the deal itself is deeply flawed. The British pound has plunged in response.

The chaos should serve as a reminder that referenda are generally a poor way of deciding complex, multifaceted questions of public policy. If in 2016 a majority of British voters came in support of Brexit, they did not answer the question of how exactly the UK should leave. Support for the 2016 referendum was narrow. And the more people learn about Brexit, the worse it looks.

Read more at: https://www.aei.org/publication/maybe-there-should-be-a-second-brexit-referendum/

:pondering:

Offline Absalom

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 04:17:56 am »
Two thousand years ago, the Roman Empire ruled the world;
birthing some of the greatest minds of western Civilization.
Seventeen centuries later Great Britain emerged to rival
Rome's achievements; producing the likes of Disraeli, Palmerston,
Pitt, Salisbury, Walpole, Wellington, among many dozens.
Now they produce Missy May who never will be missed even
for a second. What a laughable embarrassment.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 05:21:40 pm »
Pure editorializing or maybe they have data to back it up, but they have had terrorist attacks and the grooming trials. I think one of those trials has recommenced (Rotheram).

Immigration worries drove the Brexit vote. Then attitudes changed.
By Karla Adam and
William Booth
November 16 at 5:05 PM

LONDON — When the British voted to break away from the European Union — the historically gutsy or spectacularly reckless decision, take your pick — they said they wanted to “take back control” of their money and laws and they expressed a deep anxiety over immigration.

But in the two years since the referendum, something remarkable happened: The British stopped worrying so much about foreigners.

Pollsters have uncovered a mellowing of attitudes about immigration, expressed by both those who voted to leave the European bloc and those who voted to remain.

Read more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/immigration-worries-drove-the-brexit-vote-then-attitudes-changed/2018/11/16/c216b6a2-bcdb-11e8-8243-f3ae9c99658a_story.html?utm_term=.e4d3dbfd7df4

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 05:24:06 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Brexiteer's Letter to Theresa May
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 10:48:47 pm »
Brexiteer's Letter to Theresa May

Dear Madam

Over the past few months , there has been a great amount of coverage about your Chequers Plan and the future direction of Brexit.

I have been digesting the information and have come to the conclusion that the Government’s plan for Brexit is not really Brexit at all.

When the referendum was announced a little over two years ago, the Government said it would follow the decision of the people.

We voted to leave the EU.

That meant we voted to take back our independence and sovereignty. Yet with a Cabinet stuffed full of Remainers, how on earth can the people trust you or your Government?

Our country is now on course for the softest Brexit on offer. We did NOT vote for this in the EU Referendum. This is an Olly Robbins and Gavin Barwell Brexit.

Continued at: https://voiceofeurope.com/2018/11/brexiteers-letter-to-theresa-may/

Offline TomSea

I think the point here, is the lady's statements are contradictory, she voted to leave but expects representation in the European Parliament.

Leave-voting MP Nadine Dorries slams May's Brexit deal because UK won’t have seats in European parliament
'This is a very sad place to be'
Colin Drury @colin__drury

Theresa May’s Brexit deal has been slammed by arch-leave MP Nadine Dorries – because it means the UK will be left without any Members of the European Parliament.

The Tory backbencher, who campaigned tirelessly to get the country out of Europe, said Ms May's deal would leave the UK without any influence in Europe.

“This is a very sad place to be,” she told Sky News. “But unfortunately, the future of the country and of our relationship with Europe is at stake. This deal gives us no voice, no votes, no MEPs, no commissioner.”

“Ladies and gentlemen, this is the quality of our politicians right now,” one Twitter user noted. “The intellect of a boiled cabbage.”

Read more at: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nadie-dorries-slams-brexit-deal-leave-remain-jk-rowling-a8639216.html

Offline TomSea

UK's Brexit deal agreed by EU leaders
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 11:53:51 am »
UK's Brexit deal agreed by EU leaders

An agreement on the UK's withdrawal from the European Union and its future relations has been backed by EU leaders after 20 months of negotiations.

The 27 leaders gave it their backing after less than an hour's discussion in Brussels, saying it paved the way for the UK's "orderly withdrawal".

The deal needs to be approved by the UK Parliament, with many MPs opposed.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46334649?ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_linkname=news_central&ns_mchannel=social

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2018, 02:30:15 pm »
History made today. History will determine if this is a good thing or bad.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 01:34:58 pm »
Theresa May's Brexit deal is doomed - Sir Michael Fallon

Theresa May's Brexit deal is "doomed" and must be renegotiated, ex-defence secretary Sir Michael Fallon has said.

Sir Michael launched a scathing attack on the proposed EU agreement, saying it was the "worst of all worlds" and the PM's future was "up to colleagues".

The prime minister is visiting Wales and Northern Ireland to argue her deal will bring certainty to business.

DUP leader Arlene Foster told BBC News the trip was a "waste of time" as Parliament would not support her deal.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46356353

Offline TomSea

The Government Has Been Found In Contempt Of Parliament For Not Releasing Its Brexit Legal Advice
Alex Wickham BuzzFeed News Reporter

Theresa May has been plunged into a historic constitutional row after her government was found in contempt of parliament for failing to release its full legal advice on the Brexit deal.

In a crunch decision on Tuesday afternoon, parliament voted 311–293 in favour of a motion brought by the opposition parties to find ministers in contempt.

Responding to the defeat, Commons leader Andrea Leadsom confirmed the government will now publish the legal advice on the Brexit deal in full.

Read more at: https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/the-government-has-been-plunged-into-constitutional-crisis