Author Topic: Flake to halt judicial nominees until Mueller protection bill passed  (Read 1827 times)

Offline RetBobbyMI

Flake to halt judicial nominees until Mueller protection bill passed
The Washington Times | November 14, 2018 | Stephen Dinan

Sen. Jeff Flake announced Wednesday that he will not vote to advance any new judicial nominees through the Judiciary Committee, nor will he vote to confirm picks on the Senate floor, until he gets his way on unrelated legislation to prevent the firing of special counsel Robert Mueller.

Mr. Flake made the announcement on the Senate floor minutes after his bid to pass the bill failed.

His threat could block the committee from approving any more judges this year, since the GOP only holds a one-seat majority on the panel.

It’s less catastrophic to approving judges on the Senate floor, where the GOP holds 51 seats. Even losing Mr. Flake, Republicans could still approve judges on a 50-50 vote with Vice President Mike Pence breaking the tie.

(Excerpt) More at https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/nov/14/jeff-flake-halt-judicial-nominees-until-robert-mue/
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline RetBobbyMI

Re: Flake to halt judicial nominees until Mueller protection bill passed
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 10:45:56 pm »
Can't McConnell replace him on the committee?
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline bilo

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 10:50:20 pm »

Let's see what the Pubs do about this retiring piece of garbage.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 10:52:28 pm »
Now he's just being an a**hole.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 11:00:30 pm »
He is doing his best Dead McCain impression.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 11:04:57 pm »

https://twitter.com/TeaPainUSA/status/1062836533286391810
Tea Pain @TeaPainUSA
31 minutes ago

Lucy tees up the football again.  Charlie Brown's eyes widen.

I'm gonna miss Flake. 8888crybaby
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:08:32 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 11:21:31 pm »
McConnell can move the nominations directly to the floor vote, so screw you, Traitor Flake.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 11:24:16 pm »

https://twitter.com/TeaPainUSA/status/1062836533286391810

Yeah. Big surprise you are posting Resistance faggotry on the board.

Offline endicom

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 11:24:40 pm »
McConnell can move the nominations directly to the floor vote, so screw you, Traitor Flake.

I hope you're right and I hope he does.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:26:30 pm by endicom »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 11:30:59 pm »
Who ever heard of the Senate passing legislation to "protect" a prosecutor? It's an absurd notion on its face. And coming from an erzat 'Republican' against a Republican President makes it even more absurd.

All Flake is doing is to prove that the whole Mueller clown show is not about any kind of justice or investigation. Rather it is obviously a purely political 'hit job' on Trump and anyone around him. I mean seriously, what dog does Flake have in the Mueller probe? Why is he so passionate about it? Is he stupid enough to really believe that the Russians elected Trump? Then why after two years is there no evidence?

Flake doesn't give a damn about Russia. He just doesn't want to take any pressure off of Trump from any direction. If Mueller is hindering and interfering with Trump's ability to do his job, then Flake, like all Democrats, wants Mueller to be installed permanently as a permanent prosecutor of Trump, forever, regardless of any results.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 11:32:36 pm »
Yeah. Big surprise you are posting Resistance faggotry on the board.

You sound curious @Frank Cannon

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 11:35:25 pm »
Mr. Flake and Sen. Chris Coons tried to get the Senate to pass a bill that would have prevented Mr. Mueller from being fired without good cause.

And how exactly is that going to work?

Even if Trump didn't veto it, how would Congress have the authority?

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 11:40:42 pm »
Calm down.  You'll always have Romney.

Romney is a Right Wing nutjob to that poster.

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 11:40:56 pm »
Speaking of Romney ... pay attention to Flake's move here McConnell and appoint Romney to Committees dealing with trash removal and latrine renovations .... only, or deal with this shit for six more years.

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 11:41:47 pm »
Calm down.  You'll always have Romney.
Thanx @Right_in_Virginia  happy77 There is always a silver lining in the dark cloud.

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 11:42:22 pm »

That would be a well deserved biotch slap across the face on his way out.  I'd love to see this, just for the joy factor.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 11:43:10 pm »
Sinema will be all he was, and better looking.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 11:51:10 pm »

I don't think McConnell can do that.  Otherwise why have a Senate Committee on the Judiciary at all?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 11:53:32 pm »
Sinema will be all he was, and better looking.

Although it won't be as much fun for the media getting 'rat quotes from a 'rat as it was getting 'rat quotes from a RINO.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 12:59:34 am »
Who ever heard of the Senate passing legislation to "protect" a prosecutor? It's an absurd notion on its face. And coming from an erzat 'Republican' against a Republican President makes it even more absurd.

All Flake is doing is to prove that the whole Mueller clown show is not about any kind of justice or investigation. Rather it is obviously a purely political 'hit job' on Trump and anyone around him. I mean seriously, what dog does Flake have in the Mueller probe? Why is he so passionate about it? Is he stupid enough to really believe that the Russians elected Trump? Then why after two years is there no evidence?

Flake doesn't give a damn about Russia. He just doesn't want to take any pressure off of Trump from any direction. If Mueller is hindering and interfering with Trump's ability to do his job, then Flake, like all Democrats, wants Mueller to be installed permanently as a permanent prosecutor of Trump, forever, regardless of any results.

@240B

The answers to all these questions and more will be obvious once he is out of office,and we see which network hired him and gives him his own show.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 01:15:35 am »
I don't think McConnell can do that.  Otherwise why have a Senate Committee on the Judiciary at all?
I believe the Majority Leader makes committee assignments.

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 02:36:47 am »
I believe the Majority Leader makes committee assignments.
I don't think he approves judicial nominees on his own.  If he could Harry Reid would have done it already like nuking the Senate.  If I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time, but until I hear Cocaine Mitch say he can bypass the committee I'm not going to believe it.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 03:26:54 am »
I don't think he approves judicial nominees on his own.  If he could Harry Reid would have done it already like nuking the Senate.  If I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time, but until I hear Cocaine Mitch say he can bypass the committee I'm not going to believe it.

I remember talk about that during the Kavanaugh "process".

This is the best I could find:

The GOP's narrow 51-seat majority in the Senate makes the votes of Corker, Flake and other moderate Republican senators crucial in Kavanaugh's final confirmation, which requires 50 votes. The Senate could bypass the committee and bring the nomination directly to the floor for a vote.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2018/09/17/corker-senate-committee-should-delay-vote-kavanaugh/1334019002/
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 03:43:11 am »
I remember talk about that during the Kavanaugh "process".

This is the best I could find:

The GOP's narrow 51-seat majority in the Senate makes the votes of Corker, Flake and other moderate Republican senators crucial in Kavanaugh's final confirmation, which requires 50 votes. The Senate could bypass the committee and bring the nomination directly to the floor for a vote.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2018/09/17/corker-senate-committee-should-delay-vote-kavanaugh/1334019002/
@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer
Thanks for the post and the link.  Fake News?!?  Why do we bother with a committee then?  It doesn't make sense to me.  Why didn't Reid do it?

It maybe that the GOP doesn't have the balls to confirm without the public protection of the committee...I dunno.  Can't wait to find out.