Author Topic: Fightin’ words: ER doctors vs. NRA in nasty fight over gun violence  (Read 1684 times)

Offline thackney

Fightin’ words: ER doctors vs. NRA in nasty fight over gun violence
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Fightin-words-ER-doctors-vs-NRA-in-nasty-13387403.php
Nov. 13, 2018

Emergency room physicians did not take kindly to being scolded last week by the National Rifle Association to “stay in their lane” and not get involved in the nation’s gun debate.

As of Monday morning, 26,000 doctors, nurses, paramedics, social workers and other health professionals, including some in Houston, signed an open letter to the NRA, penned Friday night and headlined “Gun Violence Is Our Lane.” In addition, the hashtag #ThisISOurLane is spreading around the globe.

“As an emergency physician, I see the injuries and death toll from guns as part of my daily routine,” said Dr. Cedric Dark, an assistant professor of emergency medicine at Houston’s Baylor College of Medicine who also treats patients at Ben Taub Hospital, one of the nation’s busiest Level I trauma centers.

The damage a gun can do to a body haunts him. He remembers one little boy, about the same age as his own son, who was in a car sprayed with gunfire in a drive-by shooting a few years back. The child survived, but a bullet shattered one of his bones.

“He’s just a kid riding in a car. Whenever you see kids shot, especially your own kid’s age, it really makes you angry. There’s absolutely nothing you can do as a toddler to deserve that,” he said....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Fightin’ words: ER doctors vs. NRA in nasty fight over gun violence
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 04:38:41 pm »
Typical. Blame the tool instead of the culture that produces people who do drive-by shootings at cars with kids in them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 04:47:32 pm »
Posting bloody pictures on social media, even if not pictures of gunshot victims, seems to violate some ethical standard.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 01:50:57 am »
You know I can't remember the last time I was in a gun store to get medical help... :smokin:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 01:55:04 am »
I await their missives against homosexual behavior on the basis of the known correlations with undesirable health outcomes.
James 1:20

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 10:24:59 pm »
Considering how many people Their incompetence kills, they've got a hell'uv a lot of house keeping to do in their own home before pointing fingers at anyone else.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 12:18:04 am »
The thing that is always missing in these arguments is how many times forearms are used to protect people and save lives every year - A stunning number that shuts up all debate.

EDIT: LOL! Stupid Google doesn't understand redneck.

*firearms*
 :silly:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 12:20:00 am by roamer_1 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 02:32:23 pm »
This title makes no sense at all.

Show me just ONE violent gun.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!