Author Topic: CSU Adds ‘Long Time, No See,’ ‘You Guys,' ‘Freshman’ to Long List of Politically Incorrect Words  (Read 757 times)

rangerrebew

CSU Adds ‘Long Time, No See,’ ‘You Guys,' ‘Freshman’ to Long List of Politically Incorrect Words

Students at Colorado State University (CSU), apparently, should no longer say “long time, no see,” “you guys” or “freshman,” because those terms are not considered “inclusive language.”

In an opinion piece for the Rocky Mountain Collegian, titled “CSU has gone too far with inclusive language [1],” CSU student Katrina Leibee said she was told to use “y’all” and “first-year” instead, in order to be “inclusive of all genders.”

Source URL: https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/emily-ward/csu-adds-long-time-no-see-you-guys-freshman-long-list-politically-incorrect

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
In the south "y'all" is singular. To be properly inclusive you have to say "all y'all".
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline thackney

In the south "y'all" is singular. To be properly inclusive you have to say "all y'all".

No.  y'all is not singular.  It is plural.  But it is only small group plural.  It can be debated where to draw the line.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Silver Pines

@Idaho_Cowboy

Nope.  It's plural---a slang contraction for "you all." 

Silver Pines

No.  y'all is not singular.  It is plural.  But it is only small group plural.  It can be debated where to draw the line.

@thackney

My personal preference is "alla y'all."   :laugh:

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15

Thanks ya'll. That fits the usage I've heard from Southerners.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Polly Ticks

Thanks ya'll. That fits the usage I've heard from Southerners.

Now you're just taunting us with your misplaced apostrophe!
 wink777
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra