Author Topic: Grassley weighs leaving Judiciary Committee chairmanship  (Read 637 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Grassley weighs leaving Judiciary Committee chairmanship
« on: November 14, 2018, 06:33:47 am »
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/13/senate-chuck-grassley-chairmanship-987200

Chuck Grassley is still keeping his options open regarding which powerful committee he will helm next Congress, a decision that will have significant ramifications for his colleagues and for Congress as a whole.

The Iowa Republican is deliberating whether to stay as Judiciary Committee chairman for another two years or whether to pursue the Senate Finance Committee chairmanship, which is opening up with the retirement of current chairman Orrin Hatch (R-Utah).

Grassley has long said he would make his decision immediately after the midterms, presumably to see who captured the majority. But now he says he needs more time to talk to GOP senators that will be affected by his decision given the domino effect Grassley will produce either way.

more at link

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: Grassley weighs leaving Judiciary Committee chairmanship
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 03:19:58 pm »
In comes Lindsey Graham.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 03:21:12 pm »
Although Kavanaugh ultimately prevailed, Grassley let it to go far than it had to.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 04:48:15 pm »
In comes Lindsey Graham.
He certainly has more fire-in-the-belly than Chuck.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 05:09:35 pm »
I thought Grassley did a pretty decent job on the Kav confirmation.  He had to let the dems blather on but I think he kept it to a minimum.

Offline bilo

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 06:37:09 pm »
Although Kavanaugh ultimately prevailed, Grassley let it to go far than it had to.

:amen:

The outcome was good, but a man's family and reputation was dragged through the mud and the liar making the accusations never suffered for her lies.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 07:30:18 pm »

Have to agree.  He stayed strong at the end and the fight really hurt the democrats.  But, it's his decision.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.