Author Topic: Norwegian frigate sinks after it was rammed by tanker  (Read 771 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Norwegian frigate sinks after it was rammed by tanker
« on: November 14, 2018, 12:38:56 am »
One of Norway's Navy frigates has almost completely gone under water after an oil tanker rammed into it last week and tore a large hole in its side, authorities said Tuesday.

Rear Adm. Nils Andreas Stensoenes, the head of Norway's navy, said several of the wires used to stabilize the KNM Helge Instad snapped Tuesday, causing the vessel to sink further into the fjord.

Only the top of the frigate with its radar and antennas remained above the waterline.

The 134-meter (442-foot) frigate began listing heavily after a Maltese-flagged oil tanker collided with it Thursday in a harbor in Sture, north of Bergen. Its 137 crew were evacuated and eight people onboard were injured.

[excerpted]
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/norwegian-frigate-sinks-after-it-was-rammed-by-tanker/ar-BBPEASx

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline skeeter

Re: Norwegian frigate sinks after it was rammed by tanker
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:51:19 am »
I wonder why they didn't tow it to shallower water.

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 11:24:12 am »
Maybe they wanted to practice raising ships. :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 04:40:39 pm »
I wonder why they didn't tow it to shallower water.
Fjords are steep sided. Not much shallower water available along such coastlines.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis