Author Topic: Rep. Poliquin sues in federal court to stop ranked-choice vote count  (Read 399 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
https://www.pressherald.com/2018/11/13/poliquin-campaign-sues-in-federal-court-to-stop-ranked-choice-count/

Rep. Poliquin sues in federal court to stop ranked-choice vote count

BY KEVIN MILLER AND SCOTT THISTLE
11/13/18

AUGUSTA – Republican 2nd District Congressman Bruce Poliquin filed a federal lawsuit against Maine Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap Tuesday in an attempt to stop a tabulation of ranked-choice ballots in his race against Democratic challenger Jared Golden.

The suit filed in federal court in Bangor is asking for an injunction against Dunlap to prevent what would be the first congressional race in the nation to be decided through ranked-choice voting. Neither Poliquin nor Golden secured a majority of the vote in the first round of counting, pushing the tabulation to voters’ second-choice candidate – or perhaps third-choice – until one of the two front-runners crests the 50 percent threshold.

Poliquin held a press conference at the Maine State House on Tuesday afternoon and said he and other critics of ranked-choice voting believe the process could be “illegal” under federal law. “The people of the 2nd District have put their trust in me to do what’s right,” Poliquin said. “Not addressing this important constitutional issue would be completely irresponsible. I’ll tell you this would be a heck of a lot easier on me if I just walked away from this vote counting mess. But what kind of message would that send to our kids? Absolutely the wrong message.”

More at URL above...

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Rep. Poliquin sues in federal court to stop ranked-choice vote count
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 09:18:05 pm »
I DID NOT WRITE THE FOLLOWING.
It's copied from "that other site".
(But it explains how the Maine system works, and why the Republican (who garnered the most votes) is suing to have the outcome tossed out in court. He's right.)
Here's the explanation:
===========================
http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3705455/posts?page=14#14
To: E. Pluribus Unum
This is something called “Instant Runoff Voting.” If no one gets 50%, then they use the 2nd and 3rd choices of the voters to push one candidate to 50%.

Here’s how it works.

Let’s say that we have 4 candidates with the following vote totals.

R 1000 - 44%
D 950 - 42%
I 200 - 8%
G 100 - 4%
Total: 2250

No one gets to 50% in this scenario. In a traditional system. R wins with 44% of the vote.

In the IRV system, voters vote for their “first choice” as well as their “second choice.”

If no one reaches 50%, the person with the least number of votes is eliminated, and a computer program allocates those voter’s “second choice” to the remaining candidates.

In the above example, let’s say that all of G’s voters second choice was “D”. Now we have

R 1000 - 44%
D 1050 - 46%
I 200 - 8%
Total: 2250

Still no one has 50%, so we do it all again with I’s voters. Let’s say that those voters were evenly split between D/R.

Now we have

R 1100
D 1150

Since only two candidates are left, we now 50%+

D wins.

That’s exactly what happened here in Maine.

R has the plurality after the first vote, but the two independents running are left-wing nuts and their voters presumably allocated the “D” as their second choice.
===========================
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 09:19:09 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Rep. Poliquin sues in federal court to stop ranked-choice vote count
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 09:23:49 pm »
LOL. What a wacky load of shit.