Author Topic: China's 'artificial sun' operates at temperatures of 100 million degrees Celsius  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
If China unlocks the secrets of fusion they will likely save humanity from an energy crisis and replace us as the dominant force on Earth. But hey, at least we have a lot of aircraft carriers. Oh, and tanks!

https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d3d414f3455544e30457a6333566d54/share_p.html

China is making leaps and bounds in developing its "artificial sun," known as the Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) by operating nuclear fusion reaction at temperatures of 100 million degrees Celsius, according to the Institute of Plasma Physics, affiliated with the Chinese Academy of Sciences on Monday.

The EAST, a device independently designed and developed by Chinese scientists to harness the energy of nuclear fusion, is taking a step closer to maintaining a more stable fusion reaction as long as possible and at an even higher temperature.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline thackney

They should have it ready to go in about 20 years or so.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Dexter

They should have it ready to go in about 20 years or so.

That's not too bad a timeline to become the saviors of humanity and the new ultimate superpower.
-Socrates

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

That's not too bad a timeline to become the saviors of humanity and the new ultimate superpower.

You don't suppose he was referring to the "fact" that free clean power from fusion has been 20 years away for the past few decades at least?

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Dexter

You don't suppose he was referring to the "fact" that free clean power from fusion has been 20 years away for the past few decades at least?

China is making undeniable progress in nuclear fusion. They are leaps and bounds ahead of anybody else. I don't know how long it'll take, but the nation that gets there first will dominate the world.
-Socrates

Offline thackney

For that last 5 decades or so...

:thumbsup:
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
China is making undeniable progress in nuclear fusion. They are leaps and bounds ahead of anybody else. I don't know how long it'll take, but the nation that gets there first will dominate the world.
As long as they can keep stealing other peoples work, they will keep making advances! When was the last time anyone saw an original design come out of china? And considering the high quality of their constructs I wouldn't get within a thousand miles of one of these if they put into operation.

Offline Dexter

As long as they can keep stealing other peoples work, they will keep making advances! When was the last time anyone saw an original design come out of china? And considering the high quality of their constructs I wouldn't get within a thousand miles of one of these if they put into operation.

Underestimating China isn't a good idea in my opinion. They are making unique progress that nobody else has made. Also with so many people in China those in their top 25% of intelligence outnumber our entire population. Really think about that for a minute. They have a lot more access to brilliance simply because of sheer numbers.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 04:57:48 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Online GtHawk

Underestimating China isn't a good idea in my opinion. They are making unique progress that nobody else has made. Also with so many people in China those in their top 25% of intelligence outnumber our entire population. Really think about that for a minute. They have a lot more access to brilliance simply because of sheer numbers.
You know what? I put China in the same class as Russia when it comes to them publicizing their scientific or any other achievements. I believe it when it's verified by neutral experts, hell we're talking about the country that can't erect apartment buildings without them falling over!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
You know what? I put China in the same class as Russia when it comes to them publicizing their scientific or any other achievements. I believe it when it's verified by neutral experts, hell we're talking about the country that can't erect apartment buildings without them falling over!
That may be true, but they shoot their screw-ups.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

If China unlocks the secrets of fusion they will likely save humanity from an energy crisis and replace us as the dominant force on Earth. But hey, at least we have a lot of aircraft carriers. Oh, and tanks!

I would consider the source very carefully before I put too much stock in that article.

China Global Television Network, or CGTN, is China’s new international media organization. It was launched by the national broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) on December 31, 2016.

In other words, a government-supported propaganda outlet.

Offline DB

Big mistake believing anything coming from the Chinese government. Lots of propaganda to puff up their image for internal consumption. The Chinese have done a good job of killing off a large segment of its higher IQ people over the last century or so to pursue their communism goals undeterred. Smart people don't make good slaves.

Online GtHawk

That may be true, but they shoot their screw-ups.
While Russia sometimes shoots them and other times gifts them with polonium. :shrug: