Author Topic: Dennis Bonnen says he has the votes to be the next Texas House Speaker  (Read 935 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Andrea Zelinski and Jeremy Wallace Nov. 12, 2018

Houston native and Angleton Republican Dennis Bonnen locked down enough votes to become the next Texas Speaker of the House on Monday, promising to focus on reforming the state’s school finance system.

“We’re here to let you know the Speaker’s race is over, and the Texas House is ready to go to work,” Bonnen told reporters at the Texas Capitol.

Bonnen, 46, said he has 109 other members of the 150-member House who have signed on to support him for House Speaker. That list includes at least 67 current House Republicans, with almost the entire conservative Freedom Caucus. He needs a majority of the House members to elect him on the first day of the Legislative Session in January to secure the post.

The announcement comes after other key contenders gave up the fight. State Reps. Four Price of Amarillo, Phil King of Weatherford, Tan Parker of Flower Mound and Eric Johnson of Dallas all announced over the last three days they were pulling out of the race. Rep. John Zerwas of Richmond dropped out in October. The two remaining contenders, Reps. Travis Clardy of Nacogdoches and Drew Darby of San Angelo dropped out Monday.

Bonnen would take over a Texas House in which Republicans lost 12 seats on Election Day. Republicans still have more seats than Democrats, but the margin is down to 83 to 67.

More : https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Rep-Dennis-Bonnen-gains-support-in-Texas-House-13384950.php

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Dennis Bonnen says he has the votes to be the next Texas House Speaker
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 03:32:16 am »
I don't know him.  Does anybody know anything about him?

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Dennis Bonnen says he has the votes to be the next Texas House Speaker
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 03:43:22 am »
I don't know him.  Does anybody know anything about him?

I met him briefly while I was at a symposium on hydroponics in 1977 at the Jetport Conference Center. He was a jovial fellow who had a touch of halitosis. I remember him quite clearly for his lobster bib tie that seemed to busy for the event and his constant repeating of how his dream of being he Speaker of the House in Texas one of these days would be fulfilled "Rip, shit or bust".

Online Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan