Author Topic: The costs of “free speech”  (Read 441 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The costs of “free speech”
« on: November 12, 2018, 08:27:11 pm »
The costs of “free speech”
It benefits the American right to characterise campus culture wars as debates over “free speech”, when often they are not.
-BY
SOPHIE MCBAIN

https://www.newstatesman.com/2018/11/coddling-american-mind-jonathan-haidt-greg-lukianoff-review

Ms McBain is a fluent writer and is particularly fluent in evasion.  She has to be. The inherent authoritarianism of Leftism cannot be admitted.  Clink on the link if you wish to read her stinking dogpile of liberal gibberish in the Communist rag known as: The New Statesman.  Please shower after your visit there.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:28:10 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline goatprairie

Re: The costs of “free speech”
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 09:11:00 pm »
McBain appears to unable to distinguish between non-violent protest and preventing people with opposing views from speaking.
I doubt she'd be this understanding of violent student protests if it were liberals being denied the right to speak.
In other words, she's just another stinking, liberal hypocrite.
Nobody is saying protests  against speakers should be banned. What they are complaining about is conservative speakers being denied the right to speak due to the prospects of liberal violence if they speak and the lack of support from college administrators.
I get the feeling that people like McBain are very worried that the lib/leftist bubble many students live in might get pierced if they hear a conservative  speak.