Author Topic: Romney: Trump is wrong to vilify the press. It's not the enemy, it's critical to democracy.  (Read 4068 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2018/11/11/mitt-romney-free-press-friend-not-enemy-media-trump-column/1942665002/

......I sometimes become irritated by stories I know are wrong, especially when they are about me. But I cannot conceive of thinking or saying that the media or any responsible news organization is an enemy. The media is essential to our Republic, to our freedom, to the cause of freedom abroad, and to our national security. It is very much our friend.

Offline dfwgator

Well, look what crawled from the slime.

Offline Frank Cannon

And what a loyal and trusting friend it is Senator Romney.

A Quantum Theory of Mitt Romney

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/opinion/sunday/a-quantum-theory-of-mitt-romney.html

Offline dfwgator

Mitt is running in 2020.

Offline Frank Cannon

Mitt is running in 2020.

Well Ryan doesn't have anything to do. Maybe that fantastic duo can team up again. It was such a winner before.

Offline RoosGirl

I'm so pleased that Romney will be in the news again for the next 6 years.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline The_Reader_David

This suddenly reminded me of Ransom's comment to Merlin in That Hideous Strength, "They have an engine called the Press whereby the people are deceived."

We've ceased to have the sort of press that's critical to democracy -- the old adversarial press in which there were newspapers that supported every point on the political spectrum in their editorial policy and thus in their investigative reporting.  The delusion that "objective journalism" was possible allowed the left to thoroughly corrupt the press, since they fancy their skewed interpretation of the world is objective truth.  For some reason this has not happened in the UK, where there are still both self-consciously Tory newspapers to oppose The Guardian.  Here, we just have Guardian clones.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Frank Cannon

This suddenly reminded me of Ransom's comment to Merlin in That Hideous Strength, "They have an engine called the Press whereby the people are deceived."

We've ceased to have the sort of press that's critical to democracy -- the old adversarial press in which there were newspapers that supported every point on the political spectrum in their editorial policy and thus in their investigative reporting.  The delusion that "objective journalism" was possible allowed the left to thoroughly corrupt the press, since they fancy their skewed interpretation of the world is objective truth.  For some reason this has not happened in the UK, where there are still both self-consciously Tory newspapers to oppose The Guardian.  Here, we just have Guardian clones.

That's why this article seems like it is ripped from the headlines........in 1958. Romney is out of touch and the fact that he cannot cite any viable arguments that the world he writes about actually exists tells us all we need to know about his seriousness.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

We have GOT to stop recycling our losers. 

Offline Frank Cannon

We have GOT to stop recycling our losers.

Who's we? I don't live in UT. No one lives in UT.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Okay ... they have to stop recycling our losers. 

Offline skeeter

With all the sh*t going on right now, this clown spews another inanity.

Trump's not the enemy either, you idiot.

I don't even know what to say anymore.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 02:22:16 pm by skeeter »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

This guy is like Where's Waldo.   But, instead of a guy in a striped shirt, you're looking for a stuffed shirt and part of the DC Swamp.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
This guy is like Where's Waldo.   But, instead of a guy in a striped shirt, you're looking for a stuffed shirt and part of the DC Swamp.

Watch him by nature of being a former GOP POTUS candidate play up the "elder statesmen" bull shit card.  Like my last post, he is the next McCain.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Watch him by nature of being a former GOP POTUS candidate play up the "elder statesmen" bull shit card.  Like my last post, he is the next McCain.

Yep.  Who could have seen this coming? /s
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Slide Rule

It is evident that Romney has not watched recent TV or printed news lately.

Nothing critical to a Republic.  Forget that word democracy. Our founders
knew about democracy.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

The guy who laid down for Obama when he could have won.  We'd have done better to nominate Rick Perry like I told them to.  He would have won easily.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Only the Moron Tabernacle Choir. And no, that's not a typo.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Peggy Noonan recently referred to the Democrats' Death Star - it's ability to mobilize virtually the entire mainstream culture against Trump and the Republicans.   Central to that ability is, of course, the mainstream press which has abandoned journalistic principles of objectivity and balance. 

Romney is being naïve if he cannot see how the mainstream press has become an arm of one party and the avowed enemy of the other.   And wrapping themselves in the protective cloak of "journalism" all the while.   

I can think of no institution in American life that I hold in lower regard than the press.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I can think of no institution in American life that I hold in lower regard than the press.   

Same. There is some truly great journalism happening out there but it's few and far between.

Offline dfwgator

Peggy Noonan recently referred to the Democrats' Death Star - it's ability to mobilize virtually the entire mainstream culture against Trump and the Republicans.   Central to that ability is, of course, the mainstream press which has abandoned journalistic principles of objectivity and balance. 

Goebbels could have learned a lot from our mainstream media.

Offline dfwgator

The guy who laid down for Obama when he could have won.  We'd have done better to nominate Rick Perry like I told them to.  He would have won easily.

Was Romney blind as to how the media turned him into "Hitler" once he got the nomination?  Sure they loved him before and after. 

Offline mountaineer

I'm guessing Mittens thinks he deserves that status because his hair is magnifico, too.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

I used to actually like Romney and lately I've come to my senses.  He either needs to support this president or keep his mouth shut and if he can't do that then he needs to join the DEMS.  I'm sick to death of all the RINO's!!  We're losing our country and all they can do is criticize the one person who's done more for this country than anyone has in the past decade.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.