Author Topic: Women's Role Underplayed in WWI Armistice Remembrance  (Read 540 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Women's Role Underplayed in WWI Armistice Remembrance
« on: November 12, 2018, 03:32:44 am »
Women's Role Underplayed in WWI Armistice Remembrance
Thomas Adamson / AP

(PARIS) — Buried in French President Emmanuel Macron’s speech on the sacrifice of “young men” in World War I Sunday was a reference to the “three million widows” the fallen soldiers left behind.

The role women played in the war was only mentioned in passing as dozens of world leaders, including Angela Merkel of Germany, gathered in Paris to mark a century since WWI ended.

Yet, war impacted women far beyond the obvious hardships of widowhood and the prospect of raising children alone.

Read more at: http://time.com/5451698/armistice-weekend-centennial-women-wwi/

Offline Absalom

Re: Women's Role Underplayed in WWI Armistice Remembrance
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 04:29:06 am »
---------------------
Predictable pious platitudes and sanctimonious lefty horse manure.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 04:46:17 am »
What about the blacks and homosexuals?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 04:36:06 pm »
"Pious platitudes"? Hmmmn, I would not shrug it off, it may have been less than World War II, but I know from firsthand witnesses, how many women helped make the armaments our military needed in World War II, someone had to do it, it seems to be an important role. They apparently did the same some in World War I.   Seeing how expansive WWI was, it must have taken a lot of factory workers.

She said some female workers in Britain were known as “canaries” because they had to handle TNT, which caused their skin to turn yellow.

Around 400 women in Britain died from overexposure to TNT during WWI, according to estimates.

I didn't realize, these were pious platitudes,  a picture is worth a thousands words, I realize many did not sacrifice their lives as many of our men did but I would not ignore the key contribution as well.

Now, this picture does look like it is from World War I:

And this:

So, one can make their own judgements.  I do know, someone had to "man" the factories.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 04:45:38 pm »
Of course the role of women in the war effort should be remembered and honored in the appropriate measure.

There IS something wrong with turning the issue into another opportunity for feminist to kvetch.