Author Topic: Journalist Gets Prison Sentence for Calling Erdogan ‘Dictator’  (Read 273 times)

Offline Suppressed

Journalist Gets Prison Sentence for Calling Erdogan ‘Dictator’
NATIONAL
By Staff Writer  On Nov 8, 2018

Syrian-Turkish journalist Husnu Mahalli with his lawyer Muhterem Aktas. Photo: Twitter/ @avmuhteremaktas

Recep Tayyip ErdoÄŸan

Syrian-Turkish journalist Husnu Mahalli, known as a prominent Middle East expert, has been handed down a 29-month prison sentence on charges of “insulting the president” and a suspended 20-month sentence for “insulting government officials,” after calling President Recep Tayyip Erdogan “dictator”, online news outlet Diken reported on Thursday.

The veteran journalist / academic, who writes columns in leading opposition daily Sozcu, was arrested in December 2016 for “insulting government figures” over social media, in his columns and on TV. He was released pending trial by an Istanbul court a month later on the grounds that he was not likely to escape and the prison term sought against him was not considered lengthy.

In his defense during the sentencing hearing, Mahalli demanded his acquittal, stating that he was merely doing his job as a journalist. He said:

“I did not insult the president. I have always referred to him as ‘Mr. President’. The word ‘dictator’ does not include insult. It is an international definition relating to power held by one person”.

[...]

https://turkey.theglobepost.com/husnu-mahalli-sentence-erdogan/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline the_doc

Erdogan sure did prove that journalist wrong, didn't he?

Online dfwgator

Can we convince Jim Acosta to move to Turkey?