Author Topic: Do we need an opioid 1,000 times more powerful than morphine? The FDA thinks so.  (Read 1074 times)

rangerrebew

Do we need an opioid 1,000 times more powerful than morphine? The FDA thinks so.

Dsuvia should be available early next year.
By Jillian Mock November 6, 2018

The opioid crisis is an official public health emergency in the U.S.

A new, super-powerful opioid drug just received a stamp of approval from the Federal Drug Administration (FDA). The agency says the drug is necessary to provide pain relief for soldiers, while critics insist the last thing we need is a substance reportedly 1,000 times more potent than morphine.

The drug, called Dsuvia, is a new take on a medication called sufentanil, a 10-times more powerful version of fentanyl (which is itself known to cause overdoses even in small amounts). Dsuvia is a 30-microgram tablet form of this injectable, designed to be taken sublingually—under the tongue—via a special applicator that dispenses a single dose. The FDA’s Anesthetic and Analgesic Drug Product Advisory Committee voted in favor of the new drug, formulated by AcelRX Pharmaceuticals, on October 12. The agency adopted the approval on November 2, and the drug should be available in early 2019.

https://www.popsci.com/fda-new-opioid-dsuvia

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Great, an even better weapon for a terrorist attack.
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

The agency says the drug is necessary to provide pain relief for soldiers
But not for civilians suffering the same sort of injury, e.g., gunshot, explosives? I don't know what might cause the worst possible pain for a person (mostly because it's wholly subjective), but this doesn't seem like much of an explanation.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
But not for civilians suffering the same sort of injury, e.g., gunshot, explosives? I don't know what might cause the worst possible pain for a person (mostly because it's wholly subjective), but this doesn't seem like much of an explanation.
Perhaps a soldier being injured out on a battle field away from adequate medical facilities and pain relief vs a civilian casualty being close to numerous hospitals and almost immediate care might have something to do with it?

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
Not a new opioid drug/painkiller....just a new delivery method (of interest to the military). Sufentanil has been around since 1984.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
I would think having an option other than the old jab in the thigh morphine shot would be good to have on the battlefield.

Does anyone know if this is more or less addictive than morphine?
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online mountaineer

Does anyone know if this is more or less addictive than morphine?
Good question. And what side effects are there to a drug 1,000x more potent than morphine?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Good question. And what side effects are there to a drug 1,000x more potent than morphine?

@mountaineer

No need to panic. Individual dosages won't be 1,000 times more powerful.

As for the danger,it is not more dangerous than morphine or any other painkiller to the general public. The only people it is a threat to are addicts,and they are all only 1 dose away from OD'ing,anyhow.

This stuff isn't going to be hiding in alleys to jump on unsuspecting people passing by. It will be used correctly in medical procedures,and junkies will adjust or OD,so nothing  has changed.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

The only people it is a threat to are addicts,and they are all only 1 dose away from OD'ing,anyhow. This stuff isn't going to be hiding in alleys to jump on unsuspecting people passing by.
Yes, I quite agree. For all the hysteria over Big Pharma (and any politician who ever received a contribution from a pharmaceutical company) pushing opioids on innocent victims and causing the "opioid crisis," the fact remains that no one forced open their mouths and poured the drugs into them.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yes, I quite agree. For all the hysteria over Big Pharma (and any politician who ever received a contribution from a pharmaceutical company) pushing opioids on innocent victims and causing the "opioid crisis," the fact remains that no one forced open their mouths and poured the drugs into them.

@mountaineer

I freely admit to recreational drug use for several years,but even back then I had a strict rule against taking more than the absolute amount of any pain killers for injuries. My goal was to take just enough to take the edge off to keep me from shrieking. Pain is  nature's way of telling you that you are injured,and only a fool would try to mask these warning signs with narcotics because you risk turning a minor injury that can heal into a life-long injury that will hurt and restrict you physically for the rest of your life.

Plus there is the whole "the more you use them the less they work" factor at play.

Online mountaineer

Here in W.Va., all we hear about is how doctors all over the state irresponsibly prescribe oxycodone and the like, and how "Big Pharma" is pouring millions of pills down West Virginians' throats.

I've been seeing doctors in this state for years, trying to resolve a variety of pain issues, and no one's prescribed diddly squat for me! Not a single one suggested an opioid. They all seem to think ibuprofen is just fine for what ails me.

Not sure where all these quack opioid-pushing doctors are hanging out.  :silly:   :pondering:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Not sure where all these quack opioid-pushing doctors are hanging out.  :silly:   :pondering:

@mountaineer

In their vans,in bar and mall parking lots.