Author Topic: Lowe's to close more than 50 underperforming stores  (Read 1907 times)

Offline endicom

Lowe's to close more than 50 underperforming stores
« on: November 05, 2018, 03:23:11 pm »
WCNC
Hank Lee
Nov. 5, 2018

MOORESVILLE, N.C. — Mooresville-based home improvement chain Lowe's announced Monday that it will be closing 20 U.S. stores and 31 locations in Canada amid underperforming sales.

The stores are expected to close by the end of the 2018 fiscal year (February 1, 2019). Most of the stores will hold store-closing sales with the exception of select U.S. locations that will close immediately.

More... https://www.wcnc.com/article/money/business/lowes-to-close-more-than-50-underperforming-stores/275-611318714

Offline endicom

Re: Lowe's to close more than 50 underperforming stores
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 03:23:54 pm »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 06:54:58 pm »
None where I live.  Hope this doesn't mean Lowe's is going under.  Don't want to be left with just Home Depot. I like Lowe's better.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 10:55:53 pm »
None where I live.  Hope this doesn't mean Lowe's is going under.  Don't want to be left with just Home Depot. I like Lowe's better.

I hope they both bleed out and die, and take Costco and Wallyworld with em.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 11:11:39 pm »
I usually visit the local mom and pop hardware store  that has been open since the 50's.

Closer than Lowes. The son now operates it and he is in  his  60's and knows his stuff. 

The Mom & Pop  have priced all the common items the same  price as Lowes or just slightly higher.

If I  am covered in  dirt and no  money on  me the owner just writes up a a charge bill.

I only go to Lowes if it's the evening or Sat or Sunday afternoon.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 11:41:50 pm »
Local Lowe's is doing fine here.
Stopped by there yesterday for some leaf bags (guess I'm not the guy keeping them in business!).

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 11:48:44 pm »
I usually visit the local mom and pop hardware store  that has been open since the 50's.

Closer than Lowes. The son now operates it and he is in  his  60's and knows his stuff. 

The Mom & Pop  have priced all the common items the same  price as Lowes or just slightly higher.

If I  am covered in  dirt and no  money on  me the owner just writes up a a charge bill.

I only go to Lowes if it's the evening or Sat or Sunday afternoon.

Me too. Except the hardware store I frequent - the one that was here before me - It has closed its doors after 70+ years and two generations. And it's a cryin shame.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 11:50:28 pm »
Well, guys , I'm stuck with the big box stores.  Used to have 3 family owned hardware stores near my hiuse.  The last one closed in 2017.  The store was started by a husband and wife team.  Then their two sons took over.  One of the sons is my age.  Saw him a few months before the store closed.  He said the bigger stores were taking all their business. Unfortunate.  The chains are all so far away.  If I needed something like a furnace filter or a drain stopper, I could just walk three blocks up the street to get it.

It's too bad.  I used to patronized all three hardware stores.  The one owner taught me how to caulk.  He was quite the how-to guy -- the man to see if you didn't know how to do something.  Try getting advice from a Lowe's or Home Depot employee.  Despite claims that their employees are knowledgeable, I find most of them aren't.   Anyway, I really missed the how-to guy at the neighborhood store.  Wish I had picked his brain more often.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 01:51:17 pm »
Well, guys , I'm stuck with the big box stores.  Used to have 3 family owned hardware stores near my hiuse.  The last one closed in 2017.  The store was started by a husband and wife team.  Then their two sons took over.  One of the sons is my age.  Saw him a few months before the store closed.  He said the bigger stores were taking all their business. Unfortunate.  The chains are all so far away.  If I needed something like a furnace filter or a drain stopper, I could just walk three blocks up the street to get it.

It's too bad.  I used to patronized all three hardware stores.  The one owner taught me how to caulk.  He was quite the how-to guy -- the man to see if you didn't know how to do something.  Try getting advice from a Lowe's or Home Depot employee.  Despite claims that their employees are knowledgeable, I find most of them aren't.   Anyway, I really missed the how-to guy at the neighborhood store.  Wish I had picked his brain more often.

What's it matter to you? Your investments are doing so poorly you won't have a house to maintain anyway.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 01:55:53 pm »
What's it matter to you? Your investments are doing so poorly you won't have a house to maintain anyway.

Frank, go have another drink, you miserable old fart.  LOL

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 01:58:25 pm »
Frank, go have another drink, you miserable old fart.  LOL

Well I can afford to day drink. Bernie Madoff isn't my broker.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 04:57:37 am »
I hope they both bleed out and die, and take Costco and Wallyworld with em.  *****rollingeyes*****
If that works for you great, unfortunately there are a great many of us that doesn't. I have seen a lot of hardware store chains fold, Ole's, Builders Emporium, Builders Square, Handyman, Home Base, anyone remeber when Sears actually sold building materials in its stores? I'm sure there are others across the country that people can recall. Before Lowe's moved into California we had a chain that was open for only a short time called Eagle Hardware, it was by far one of the best hardware stores I had ever been in, other than a mom and pop that was around for 60 or 80 years. Eagle had every kind of fastener you could imagine.............up til the day Lowe's, may they rot, bought them and turned them into a confusingly laied out poor copy of Home Depot, which sucks on its own. From what I have seen, for my area almost all the closures will be OSH Hardware Stores which Lowes made the mistake of buying from Sears.