Author Topic: Air pollution linked to autism: study  (Read 449 times)

rangerrebew

Air pollution linked to autism: study
« on: November 06, 2018, 01:19:18 pm »
Air pollution linked to autism: study
November 5, 2018 , Monash University

The study of children in Shanghai, from birth to three years, found that exposure to fine particles (PM2.5) from vehicle exhausts, industrial emissions and other sources of outdoor pollution increased the risk of developing autism spectrum disorder (ASD) by up to 78%. The study included 124 ASD children and 1240 healthy children (as control) in stages over a nine-year period, examining the association between air pollution and ASD.

https://m.phys.org/news/2018-11-air-pollution-linked-autism.html

rangerrebew

Re: Air pollution linked to autism: study
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 01:25:15 pm »
If this is true, every baby boomer must be autistic, especially here in Michigan.  I can remember in the 50s and 60s where the air was thick with industrial pollutants, so thick it would leave crud on a car.  You could actually see it and smell it, unlike today.  I worked on the railroad during the summers in the late 60s to pay for college.  I can remember the first time I went to Toledo and we passed a fiberglass plant where the fiberglass was in the air and stung my arms.  That's the way it was back then.  Comparatively speaking, there is no pollution any more. 999wine