Author Topic: I Took ‘Adulting Classes’ for Millennials  (Read 1791 times)

Offline RoosGirl

I Took ‘Adulting Classes’ for Millennials
« on: November 02, 2018, 02:49:25 pm »
https://www.citylab.com/life/2018/10/millennials-adulting-classes-life-skills-turning-30/574246/

On the eve of my wife’s 30th birthday—a milestone I, too, will soon hit—she posed a troubling question: Are we adults yet?

We certainly feel that way: We hold our own jobs, pay our own rent, cover our own bills, drive our own cars. Our credit is in order. But we don’t yet own a house and have no children—two markers commonly associated with fully-fledged adulthood (and two markers that both our sets of parents had reached well before they turned 30). And there are other gaps in our maturity: I don’t buy napkins or know how to golf; up until last year, I didn’t know how to change the oil in my car’s engine. Thankfully, last year we managed to throw a dinner party, our first, without burning the pork roast.

A vague anxiety over these known-unknowns is something of a generational hallmark. A Monday-morning scroll through the social media feed of the average 20-something might turn up a handful of friends sharing memes of dogs—looking bewildered, exasperated, or both—unironically captioned with something like: “Don’t make me adult today.”

Continued at link.

Offline endicom

Re: I Took ‘Adulting Classes’ for Millennials
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 03:00:02 pm »

Being an adult means being responsible. Being an individual means not following some checklist of dos
and don'ts.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 03:29:14 pm »
It involves living within your means without expecting a bailout from your family.

My older brother has yet to adult.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 03:41:44 pm »
These bleep morons have to take a class for :
They’re teaching stuff that people neither look forward to nor seem to enjoy, but implicitly recognize as part of being a grown-up: paying bills, setting a budget, calling the car insurance company, looking after your health.

We have an entire generation of mental midgets.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 03:59:30 pm »
I don't know how to change the oil in my car, either, other than some vague notion about draining it out the bottom and filling it back up at the top.  Does that disqualify me?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 04:15:21 pm »
I don't know how to change the oil in my car, either, other than some vague notion about draining it out the bottom and filling it back up at the top.  Does that disqualify me?

Yes.  Yes it does.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 04:35:13 pm »
Yes.  Yes it does.

Well, raspberries.  I guess somebody better tell my kids, my parents, and my husband's mother that someone else is going to have to take care of them now.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 05:37:00 pm »

I used to perform a lot of maintenance on my cars, but it's gotten all computerized so about the only thing I'm capable of is changing the oil and replacing the battery.  I have a place to do the oil because they have a way to dispose of the old, and I have to do a battery today.   :shrug:

Fortunately, it's the 12V battery and not the 300V one in the back of the car.  That would cost about $10K.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 05:51:03 pm »
I used to perform a lot of maintenance on my cars, but it's gotten all computerized so about the only thing I'm capable of is changing the oil and replacing the battery.  I have a place to do the oil because they have a way to dispose of the old, and I have to do a battery today.   :shrug:

Fortunately, it's the 12V battery and not the 300V one in the back of the car.  That would cost about $10K.

I know how to drive to the local Jiffy Lube.  Does that count??

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 06:09:29 pm »
I know how to drive to the local Jiffy Lube.  Does that count??

I sure hope so!  The battery is a deal I have to do myself, but fortunately it's not difficult. Mrs. Liberty has a different method:  She has the guys at O'Reilly wrapped around her finger, and they do it for her at the store.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 06:22:23 pm »
One day I walked into the living room and found my daughter with a screwdriver in each hand explaining the difference between a flathead and a phillips head to her boyfriend.  He of two degrees and a Masters.  She taught him how to change the oil in the car. That day.

They are still friends and he always grumps about how much she out earns him in spite of his "degreed" superiority.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 06:56:40 pm »
Well, raspberries.  I guess somebody better tell my kids, my parents, and my husband's mother that someone else is going to have to take care of them now.

That worked out well for you, didn't it?

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 06:58:53 pm »
That worked out well for you, didn't it?

It was worth a shot!   :laugh:

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 07:02:48 pm »
Scary thought: Millennials have entered the workforce while the people that created them are still in the workforce in supervisory positions.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 07:36:51 pm »

Offline DB

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 08:14:09 pm »
! No longer available

LOL!

The sad truth of it is we let leftest do this to our kids in public schools.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 08:32:31 pm »
So I put the new battery in the car (it was dead) and now it doesn't seem to recognize the key.   9999hair out0000
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 08:35:20 pm »
My father left home to enlist in the Marines, and fight in the Pacific islands.

When I was 18, he physically kicked me out of his home. (twice)

First time I failed and came crawling back. He admitted be back on the proviso that I continue effortsto get out and be entirely on my own. IOW self-supporting

I met a girl, her father referred me to a neighbor, who directed me to a job opportunity.

Married her. Served my Army hitch. Finished college, while also working.

I owe my father a debt of gratitude.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 08:35:56 pm »
So I put the new battery in the car (it was dead) and now it doesn't seem to recognize the key.   9999hair out0000

Oh no!  That's much worse than all the radio pre-sets disappearing.  Sorry.  :(

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 08:40:22 pm »
Oh no!  That's much worse than all the radio pre-sets disappearing.  Sorry.  :(

All that stuff works.
I will NOT comply.