Author Topic: NYU student senate plans Israel BDS vote…in private  (Read 558 times)

rangerrebew

NYU student senate plans Israel BDS vote…in private
« on: October 30, 2018, 02:26:38 pm »
NYU student senate plans Israel BDS vote…in private

Oct 30, 2018 by Campus Reform

NYU student Senator-at-Large Rose Asaf tweeted that student senators would propose a Boycott, Divest, and Sanction resolution (BDS) against the state of Israel at the university senate meeting on Nov. 1.

“Whilst we understand that the heated nature of the discussion around the issue has led to threats of violence in the past, it does not change the fact that if the vote is held in private, it is impossible for students to know what their supposed representatives are voting for.”    Tweet This

This proposal comes on the heels of a resolution, passed last semester, which urged the university to “review its nondiscrimination policies for Palestinian, Middle Eastern, and other affected students traveling to the State of Israel and attending NYU Tel Aviv,” according to NYU Local.

http://www.educationviews.org/nyu-student-senate-plans-israel-bds-vote-in-private/

rangerrebew

Re: NYU student senate plans Israel BDS vote…in private
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 02:30:27 pm »
I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed what these "senators" like Rose look like.  We had twins on the campus where I went to undergrad school who were know as the two Smith triplets; who could only wear house coats and such.  It is almost as if the "politically involved" look like that because they can't find anyone to get "involved" with.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 02:31:13 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 02:56:13 pm »
“Whilst we understand that the heated nature of the discussion around the issue has led to threats of violence in the past, it does not change the fact that if the vote is held in private, it is impossible for students to know what their supposed representatives are voting for.” 

And, because if it's a public vote, they can't just vote their consciences, they will feel immense public pressure to vote the publically approved way only.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 02:59:47 pm »
I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed what these "senators" like Rose look like.  We had twins on the campus where I went to undergrad school who were know as the two Smith triplets; who could only wear house coats and such.  It is almost as if the "politically involved" look like that because they can't find anyone to get "involved" with.

I dunno.  Rose looks ok.  It's what's behind the face, not the face itself.