Author Topic: The World of 2045  (Read 608 times)

rangerrebew

The World of 2045
« on: October 29, 2018, 02:33:05 pm »
The World of 2045

In which we, the 2018 staff of Popular Mechanics, asked the smartest engineers and futurists for their visions of future cities, and built a handbook to navigate this new world.

Popular Mechanics Editors   
Oct 14, 2018

Transportation 2045

Back in the 2020s, the tech industry started talking about transportation as a service (TaaS). Instead of owning and operating your own car or even your own bicycle, you told an app where you needed to go, then used a network of shared wheeled things to get there. What started with companies like Lyft and Uber led to Ryde, the company that won the TaaS war in U.S. cities.

After decades of controversies and fatalities, we’re still years away from completely eliminating the need for a human behind the wheel, but leaps in autonomous driving technology led to one specific advantage that Ryde is now deploying: When the vehicle operator (VO) ends their shift and there are no occupants, vehicles can safely deliver themselves to recharging and cleaning warehouses. Before this level of autonomy, the VO had to park conveniently close to home, taking up space in already congested areas. Now that the vehicle can move itself, it can be idle conveniently far away from a city center. After cleaning and recharging, the car finds the VO, then places itself strategically close to passengers headed to a common destination. The type of vehicle you order can vary depending on users’ plans. Commuting? Sit around a shared work surface. Weekend? Join other standing passengers on a bus with a food stand or retail space.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a22824579/city-future-2045/
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:34:29 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Re: The World of 2045
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 07:21:04 pm »
Sheesh - still no sign of common-sense items like a combination baby thermometer / tire pressure gauge...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 07:29:36 pm »
If man is still alive...
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 07:34:39 pm »

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 07:40:15 pm »
If man is still alive...

Good one - I would have thought of it except I forgot to take my pill today...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 09:33:58 pm »
Popular Mechanics.  They had a really "good" article on Globull Warming  a couple years back. 333cleo
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: