Author Topic: San Francisco: Now so bad, it'll make you cry  (Read 1799 times)

Online mountaineer

Re: San Francisco: Now so bad, it'll make you cry
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2018, 06:05:34 pm »
Thanks for the first-hand account, andy. Very interesting.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2018, 06:07:12 pm »
I would love to make a 2018 update of Dirty Harry.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2018, 08:54:13 pm »
I would love to make a 2018 update of Dirty Harry.
A liberal p.c. one or one a conservative might still make?
Undoubtedly, with  a liberal director Dirty Harry would be called Dainty Harry.
 He'd be a homosexual and they'd show him in bed with his partner.
 He 'd carry a bean bag gun.
His female supervisor would order him around. He would meekly submit to her harangues.
He'd have a minority, female sidekick who weighed about 100 lbs soaking wet who would beat up all the bad guys.
None of the bad guys would be black, but all white male, corporation execs from Silicon Valley.

Offline berdie

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2018, 11:45:59 pm »
I was in San Francisco just last week for a couple of days, and found it to be considerably more pleasant than what the article here implies. I stayed in the Pacific Heights area, which is rather upscale and away from the tourist areas, but I had time to travel around and see the sights.

It is still a beautiful city - filled with lovely parks and Victorian-era architecture and surrounded by a sparkling bay that itself is ringed by towering hills that come right down to the waters edge, especially across the Golden Gate in Sausalito. San Francisco is also largely cleaner than what I had been led to expect, but squalor is clearly present as soon as you venture into one of the less desirable areas.

The results of liberal political dominance are certainly evident. Bums and panhandlers are ubiquitous, far more so than in any city I have visited in the last twenty years or so.  Many of them are quite possibly in need of psychiatric help, being oblivious to hygiene or the condition of their clothing, and possessed of the tendency to speak out loud to whatever person they imagine might be there. I always find it more sad than scary: a testament to the cruel results of liberals' needs to feel smugly compassionate, in this case by allowing the ill and frequently addicted to wander freely in the streets while they safely Uber between their jobs and their multi-million dollar condominiums.

As a side note, my wife and I stayed in the Hotel Majestic, a Victorian-era survivor of the 1906 earthquake. We spent two nights in room 407, a suite which was reputed to be haunted by the spirit of an original owner's daughter, who lived in that very room. The room itself contains a fireplace and is decorated with reproductions of Impressionist art from the late 19th Century, classic furniture of the period, including a very tall four-poster bed. The bathroom has been updated somewhat, but still includes an old brass shower head set barely six feet above tub level (I had to duck to wet my head). We were informed that the claw-footed tub therein has been known to mysteriously fill with water, by itself during the night, but in spite of a low-level spooky mood to the suite, we experienced nothing unusual during our stay.       

I was there in the 90's as a  tourist. Beautiful city.  But I was amazed even back then at the number of homeless people.  And they all had dogs!

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2018, 11:55:42 pm »
People tend to be more kind and generous to people with a dog. A kid who rides the trains and hitchhikes around the country, kinda sorta a hobo, friend of my son, told me it is basically a con. He said people give more rides, money, and food to people traveling with a dog.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline berdie

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 01:18:05 am »
That's probably true. :laugh: