Author Topic: San Francisco: Now so bad, it'll make you cry  (Read 1798 times)

rangerrebew

San Francisco: Now so bad, it'll make you cry
« on: October 20, 2018, 01:06:54 pm »
October 19, 2018
San Francisco: Now so bad, it'll make you cry
By Lee DeCovnick

Twentieth-century San Francisco, Herb Caen's beloved Baghdad by the Bay, has ceased to exist.  It has been replaced by a city where the sidewalks around Market Street are, in places, caked in feces, urine, and vomit.  The stink as you emerge from the BART batters you like frozen sleet, shocking and overwhelming.  The hordes of homeless, sprawled in doorways and sleeping on the sidewalks, are a bitterly eclectic mixture of the mentally deranged; burnt out druggies; dead-eyed hippies; con artists; pickpockets; and hundreds of simply lost, forgotten souls.

I had occasion to visit downtown San Francisco this afternoon, the first time in over seven years, though I reside only thirty miles away in the East Bay suburbs.  During my working life, I have commuted to San Francisco as a bushy-tailed junior executive in the '70s, as a small business-owner in the early '80s, and as a corporate executive in the '90s.  Thankfully, "Old" San Francisco really was a wonderful place to work, eat, and play.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/10/san_francisco_now_so_bad_itll_make_you_cry.html#ixzz5UTaTI4u2

Offline mountaineer

Re: San Francisco: Now so bad, it'll make you cry
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 01:34:38 pm »
No rational, thinking person, or board, or mayor could allow this societal abomination to continue unabated in a first-world country.
Exactly. That's how we know the city is run by leftists, who are incapable of rational thought.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 02:34:31 pm »
SF is the latest and greatest (or worst) example of the dictum that liberals eventually wreck everything.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 02:44:36 pm »
I have family in the city and like this guy over the decades have watched it's steepening decline. The wife and I visited downtown for the first time in several years last December - the change for the worse was kinda shocking. The place and its people radiate filth & depression.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 02:48:14 pm »
I remember Michael Savage speaking about the deplorable condition of the San Francisco streets/roads/bridges several years ago.

Can't get him anymore since both DC and Baltimore dropped him...a loss for both markets.

He must be beside himself by now.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 02:56:06 pm »
I remember Michael Savage speaking about the deplorable condition of the San Francisco streets/roads/bridges several years ago.

Can't get him anymore since both DC and Baltimore dropped him...a loss for both markets.

The place will not recover for a long time. In addition to the derelicts SF has filled up with recent arrivals who apparently are comfortable with conditions there.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 11:31:20 pm »
What's SF going to be like ten years from now?
Twenty years from now?

One can only imagine...

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 11:57:54 pm »
It is not safe to walk the streets in SF anymore. The indigents there have been so coddled and emboldened by the SF Liberals, including the courts, that they no longer 'beg' for money. They demand money forcefully, and if necessary violently. The Liberals have taught them that you, as a normal person, have a moral duty to pay them.

It is kind of like a real life 'trick or treat' scenario. Either you give them money or bad things are going to happen. The police will not help you as they have been ordered that homeless people are sacrosanct. And even if, in some one in a thousand chance they get arrested, so what? They get a shower, a cot, maybe a meal, and they are back on the street in no time. SF has made the determination that they are 'not worth' incarceration. It is a waste of resources. And, in the big picture, they are right.

I saw this when I was in jail in Texas. There was a homeless guy in our block and he couldn't be happier to be there. In fact when they released him, he refused to go. They literally had to 'throw him out' of jail. He had food, shelter, a cot. Jail was his version of the MGM Grand.

A couple of days later a Sheriff mentioned him to me because he had seen him walking down some street somewhere homeless after his release. I chuckled and said to the deputy, 'He didn't get released...he got evicted.' We both laughed. That deputy helped me get released early. We got along with each other. We may have become friends once I got out, but that would be weird.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 11:59:12 pm »
It's been a big tourist city, I think I have read that before, the #1 city for tourism in the USA and one of the top ones in the world, so they are just ruining it. It's been a while in the making though.

It doesn't really seem to be hurting the tourist industry but I wouldn't like it, places to live cost a king's ransom too, as discussed here previously.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 12:14:06 am »
I was in SF sometime during the 1970s.  The visit was the main part of a tour of the southwest.  Five nights in SF.  It was four nights too many.  Drunks, drug addicts, crooks, homeless, pimps, prostitutes everywhere.  Second day at the hotel some of my friend's belongings were stolen from our room.  Management was totally indifferent.  Friend and I moved to another hotel.  Wasn't any better.  People were unfriendly and most of them creeped me out.  On top of that, the city was shrouded in almost perpetual fog and it was downright chilly in July.  Couldn't wait to leave.  I would never want to go back there again.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 12:18:31 am »
I was in SF sometime during the 1970s.  The visit was the main part of a tour of the southwest.  Five nights in SF.  It was four nights too many.  Drunks, drug addicts, crooks, homeless, pimps, prostitutes everywhere.  Second day at the hotel some of my friend's belongings were stolen from our room.  Management was totally indifferent.  Friend and I moved to another hotel.  Wasn't any better.  People were unfriendly and most of them creeped me out.  On top of that, the city was shrouded in almost perpetual fog and it was downright chilly in July.  Couldn't wait to leave.  I would never want to go back there again.
"it was downright chilly in July."

Mark Twain was quoted as saying the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 12:21:46 am »
Ilive near two state beaches, and a city beach. Ten miles, withstill ther city beaches beyond.

Anyway beaches are good for the homeless, since usually the climate is mild enough to live outdoors. During our somewhat rare rain, they hand around restroom and snack bar buildings.

The park rangers and city police do their best, within the law. The first statement from them,, is: "it is not illegal to be homeless."

That is because laws against vagrancy, loitering, etc. were ended years ago.

I have witnessed "Bible-thumpers" trying to "save" them for decades. Never yet seen them washing feet, yet.

Majority of homeless are males, addict-alcoholics, made mentally ill by brain damaging substances.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 12:26:53 am »
LA has long had its skid row Rescue Mission area....

As said before, Denver/Boulder seem to have a little of this going on as well.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 12:30:56 am »
"it was downright chilly in July."

Mark Twain was quoted as saying the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.

Spend time on the coast and learn to appreciate that story.

I ran the San Francisco Marathon one mid 1980s year. The day before the race we all went out walking around town. It turned overcast, and windy.

I have lived in that type of climate, and keep a windbreaker in my car year round.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline skeeter

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 12:33:13 am »

My guess is your hotel was somewhere in the Tenderloin. Which is not far from Union Square. Its been sketchy there since the late 60s. There were plenty of nicer places in the city back then that are not so nice now.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 01:15:48 am »

He’s still in NYC. Either WABC or WOR radio.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 01:31:57 am »
It'll get worse. Much worse.

LA Competes For California's Most Disgusting City As "Typhus Zone" Underscores Skid Row Squalor

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-10-17/la-competes-californias-most-disgusting-city-typhus-zone-underscores-skid-row

This kind of 'Tolerance' is an Epidemic incubator.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 01:37:59 am »
I was in SF, back in the 80's.  It was a dump then.  The only part I enjoyed was Chinatown and the Wharf.  I stayed at a Hotel by the SF Int. Airport.  No way I'd go there at night.

That city did it to itself with its own smugness.  I shan't weep for SF.  I only feel sorry for conservatives I have known who had put roots down there.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 04:16:36 am »
My guess is your hotel was somewhere in the Tenderloin. Which is not far from Union Square. Its been sketchy there since the late 60s. There were plenty of nicer places in the city back then that are not so nice now.

I don't remember the name of the first fleabag my friend and I stayed in, but the second one was Jack Tar.  I read online that the hotel was located at the corner of Van Ness and Geary if that means anything to you. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Tar_Hotels

But I believe much of the rest of the city was in bad shape in the 1970s.   We did take a city tour that took us up to Pacific Heights.  That was a rather upscale community back then.  Don't know about now.  I think a number of communities might have been ok, but the people I encountered everywhere were not particularly welcoming to tourists and many of them were creepy.  Anyway, as I said, no way would I go back to SF again.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 07:08:39 am »
I don't remember the name of the first fleabag my friend and I stayed in, but the second one was Jack Tar.  I read online that the hotel was located at the corner of Van Ness and Geary if that means anything to you. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Tar_Hotels

But I believe much of the rest of the city was in bad shape in the 1970s.   We did take a city tour that took us up to Pacific Heights.  That was a rather upscale community back then.  Don't know about now.  I think a number of communities might have been ok, but the people I encountered everywhere were not particularly welcoming to tourists and many of them were creepy.  Anyway, as I said, no way would I go back to SF again.

Both Geary and Van Ness are main drags. And that intersection is only 1 block from Polk St, which is the beginning of the Tenderloin.

Bums, Hookers, Booze, Unwashed Drunks and Drug addicts 'round the clock.

Over the years as the rot spread Pacific Heights got to be known by the locals as Tenderloin Heights.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 07:12:02 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 07:20:55 am »
What's SF going to be like ten years from now?
Twenty years from now?

One can only imagine...

They got illegals and bums crapping in the streets.

They're looking at a Cholera Epidemic.

And this time it won't be a funny movie.

! No longer available

Offline Applewood

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 12:24:13 pm »
Both Geary and Van Ness are main drags. And that intersection is only 1 block from Polk St, which is the beginning of the Tenderloin.

Bums, Hookers, Booze, Unwashed Drunks and Drug addicts 'round the clock.

Over the years as the rot spread Pacific Heights got to be known by the locals as Tenderloin Heights.

Thanks for the info on location.  After about 40-someting years, my memory of SF has a  lot of holes -- possibly because it was so bad, I just wanted to forget.    LOL

But ya know, I look at a number of cities and towns run by Democrats -- including the nearest big city to me, Pittsburgh -- and I see many of them headed in the same direction as San Francisco.  Pittsburgh is undergoing some extensive renovation now, including transforming old buildings into upscale condominiums and apartments.   But the criminal element, homeless and drug addicts  which have plagued the city for decades still remain.  Not even safe in Pittsburgh during the day, let alone at night.  Complain about it and you're told it's about protecting their rights.  What about the rest of us?  A number of people who bought condos in the city are now rethinking their decisions and the mayor can't figure out why. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 12:33:25 pm »
But ya know, I look at a number of cities and towns run by Democrats -- including the nearest big city to me, Pittsburgh -- and I see many of them headed in the same direction as San Francisco.  ...
Definitely. I don't go downtown (Pgh) very often, but with a doofus like the current mayor, it certainly isn't going to get better. You're right, absent drastic change in administration, the 'Burgh is headed down the San Fran path.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 02:44:50 pm »
Definitely. I don't go downtown (Pgh) very often, but with a doofus like the current mayor, it certainly isn't going to get better. You're right, absent drastic change in administration, the 'Burgh is headed down the San Fran path.

I'm afraid all big cities are in the rut.  Once the vicious circle of Dems, bums and crime starts it rarely stops because the decent folk flee and take their votes with them leaving Dems, bums and criminals.  NYC had a pause with Guliani, but the voters decided freebies are worth more than public safety, so the Rats are back in charge, with a vengeance.  In Detroit, Mayor Coleman Young applauded the white flight, because it gave him and his cronies a virtual lock on all the power.  @Cripplecreek told me the city is finally turning around, I'll believe it when I see it.

I am glad we're out of Phoenix metro area after the first of the year.  We're years away from it, because Dems don't have a lock on city government yet.  I'll still get a decent price for my house on the way out.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 03:25:08 pm »
I was in San Francisco just last week for a couple of days, and found it to be considerably more pleasant than what the article here implies. I stayed in the Pacific Heights area, which is rather upscale and away from the tourist areas, but I had time to travel around and see the sights.

It is still a beautiful city - filled with lovely parks and Victorian-era architecture and surrounded by a sparkling bay that itself is ringed by towering hills that come right down to the waters edge, especially across the Golden Gate in Sausalito. San Francisco is also largely cleaner than what I had been led to expect, but squalor is clearly present as soon as you venture into one of the less desirable areas.

The results of liberal political dominance are certainly evident. Bums and panhandlers are ubiquitous, far more so than in any city I have visited in the last twenty years or so.  Many of them are quite possibly in need of psychiatric help, being oblivious to hygiene or the condition of their clothing, and possessed of the tendency to speak out loud to whatever person they imagine might be there. I always find it more sad than scary: a testament to the cruel results of liberals' needs to feel smugly compassionate, in this case by allowing the ill and frequently addicted to wander freely in the streets while they safely Uber between their jobs and their multi-million dollar condominiums.

As a side note, my wife and I stayed in the Hotel Majestic, a Victorian-era survivor of the 1906 earthquake. We spent two nights in room 407, a suite which was reputed to be haunted by the spirit of an original owner's daughter, who lived in that very room. The room itself contains a fireplace and is decorated with reproductions of Impressionist art from the late 19th Century, classic furniture of the period, including a very tall four-poster bed. The bathroom has been updated somewhat, but still includes an old brass shower head set barely six feet above tub level (I had to duck to wet my head). We were informed that the claw-footed tub therein has been known to mysteriously fill with water, by itself during the night, but in spite of a low-level spooky mood to the suite, we experienced nothing unusual during our stay.         

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn