Author Topic: 9 Words and Phrases You’re Probably Using Wrong  (Read 3699 times)

Online Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
Re: 9 Words and Phrases You’re Probably Using Wrong
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2018, 12:09:27 pm »
Personally, I dislike it when people say “axe” instead of “ask” but I realize with accents, dialects and the like, people don’t speak the Queen’s English anymore.

That's like fingernails on a blackboard to me.  Elementary school teachers forbid anyone in our classes to say axe instead of ask for 6 years. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:13:59 pm by Texas Yellow Rose »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2018, 01:59:37 pm »
Personally, I dislike it when people say “axe” instead of “ask” but I realize with accents, dialects and the like, people don’t speak the Queen’s English anymore.

I am probably one of the few people in America who use the word “zed” instead of “zee”.

Curses for being an English major!

I had to look that up, @Freya.  Zed?  Zee?  Maybe it's Dutch?   :laugh:

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2018, 02:50:36 pm »
That's like fingernails on a blackboard to me.  Elementary school teachers forbid anyone in our classes to say axe instead of ask for 6 years.

At one time I managed a testing and quality control lab.  There was a particularly annoying female with one business group who had many bad habits not the least of which was saying, "Can I axe you a question?"   My answer was "No, but you may ASK me a question."   After a time, it became a joke, what is now called a meme, for everyone save the annoying female. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2018, 03:10:26 pm »
Have realized more than a few times, how lucky I was to have been taught in a parochial Catholic school system.

From the age of five in kindergarten, the Sisters of Mercy taught us reading, writing and arithmetic but also pride in being an American youth...encouraging us in Boy Scouts, etc..

Then the Franciscans and Jesuits took over.

Thankfully, by the time they got me, I was a Barry Goldwater enthusiast.

Strangely, the most effective English teacher was a lay teacher.  A flamboyant queen of a man named Mr. Driscoll. 

If you turned in any papers with 'promise', he would ride your ass (figuratively, of course)   There were no C or B students.   

Either an A, or you were taking shop the next year.  :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2018, 03:24:37 pm »
I really cringe with the misuse of "myself" is place of I or me.  9999hair out0000 9999hair out0000
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2018, 03:27:47 pm »
Mute point, Moot point, I've noted that. I wasn't aware of the meaning of "moot", I am now.

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2018, 03:33:48 pm »
Using advice for advise or ideal for idea are two things I see a lot and it makes me crazy.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2018, 03:37:26 pm »
I've noticed a lot of "sale" in place of "sell" lately. 

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2018, 09:30:44 pm »
   I am quite guilty of abusing all of them.
My son has a Masters in English, so sometimes when he say something to irritate me I will as many grammatical errors as possible just to get back at him. He has at least relaxed in his corrections. I once asked him if his non English major friends called him a grammar nazi too.

Silver Pines

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2018, 12:17:46 am »
I love this type of thread and I could list a fifty misuses that bug me, but I'll just go with "wa-la" for "voila." 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2018, 12:19:32 am »
I love this type of thread and I could list a fifty misuses that bug me, but I'll just go with "wa-la" for "voila."

What? Who the hell even uses the word voila much less misspells it? You hanging around with Magicians?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 12:22:47 am »
What? Who the hell even uses the word voila much less misspells it? You hanging around with Magicians?

Most of us do hang with a different type of people than you do, Frank. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2018, 12:28:34 am »
Most of us do hang with a different type of people than you do, Frank.

I'm seeing that. I had thought Midway Freak Shows were a thing of the past, but apparently not.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2018, 12:36:10 am »
Someone else I know uses the word "your" in place of "you're".  So bleep annoying.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2018, 12:40:16 am »
I'm seeing that. I had thought Midway Freak Shows were a thing of the past, but apparently not.

! No longer available

Offline aligncare

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2018, 12:44:45 am »
In Brooklyn we compress sentences.

Such as: Jaeet? No, djew?  Translation: Did you eat? No, did you?

And the well known: Fuhgeddaboudit. No translation needed.

8888forgot

Silver Pines

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2018, 12:47:24 am »

Lmao

I've seen people do that a dozen times.  It's maddening.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2018, 02:01:25 am »
9 Words and Phrases You’re Probably Using Wrong Incorrectly

:laugh:
Good catch.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2018, 02:15:44 am »
Lmao

I've seen people do that a dozen times.  It's maddening.

Tout le monde devrait être obligé de prendre le Français juste pour savoir comment épeler le mot "voila".

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2018, 02:29:55 am »
This is silly but one of the most annoying phrases in common use today is:
Where are you at? Why not just, Where are you? What does the 'at' add to the question?
And his brother:
Where are you going to? vs. Where are you going?

The most confounding thing about these usages is that it defies the normal construct of 'path of least resistance'. It is unusual for people to 'add' a word to a sentence specifically to make the sentence wrong. The normal case is to omit words to make the sentence simpler. I don't know? I don't get it?

I've worked with people who have never said, Where are you? without adding 'at' in their life. I'm not sure they even know that it works that way.

A guy a work told me once, 'I could care less!' So I told him, 'OK, do it! Knock yourself out. Go ahead and care as less as you want. If you could care less, you don't have to hold back for me.'

Never will forget the look on his face. Once he figured out what I was saying, just a look of complete surprise came over him. He raised a finger to come back with something, then he huffed away. That ended the conversation. So many people don't think logically about what they are saying or the words they use.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2018, 02:39:52 am »
This is silly but one of the most annoying phrases in common use today is:
Where are you at? Why not just, Where are you? What does the 'at' add to the question?
And his brother:
Where are you going to? vs. Where are you going?

The most confounding thing about these usages is that it defies the normal construct of 'path of least resistance'. It is unusual for people to 'add' a word to a sentence specifically to make the sentence wrong. The normal case is to omit words to make the sentence simpler. I don't know? I don't get it?

I've worked with people who have never said, Where are you? without adding 'at' in their life. I'm not sure they even know that it works that way.

A guy a work told me once, 'I could care less!' So I told him, 'OK, do it! Knock yourself out. Go ahead and care as less as you want. If you could care less, you don't have to hold back for me.'

Never will forget the look on his face. Once he figured out what I was saying, just a look of complete surprise came over him. He raised a finger to come back with something, then he huffed away. That ended the conversation. So many people don't think logically about what they are saying or the words they use.

Ever wonder why on all the cop shows they say "GSW" instead of "gun shot wound", even though it takes more syllables?

Well, you will now.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.